I like TikTok and all but this is a worrying trend

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

You should try this app called 'Tasty' if you haven't. It's full of video recipes with a clean interface. I like it a lot.

I have it and I've gotten some really good stuff from there. My current favorite dish is this one pot Italian sausage pasta. Freaking delicious and gives great leftovers for my work nights.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think we'd need some data on this. Because for me I fall in the latter bullet point but I love new shit. I'm always looking to try new things. Especially in the tech space. But TikTok seems built for people who like fake news and have short attention spans. Therefore it sucks. That's the only reasoning I'm putting into not liking it.

If you're getting fake news on TikTok it's because you're using the app to engage with current events to some extent. I use Twitter for that along with more traditional websites. Twitter and Facebook will show me stuff I've not engaged with or searched for in months, if you swipe past a couple TikTok's on a certain topic or you don't follow creators that post on those topics, you just don't see them again after almost no time at all.

And there is absolutely nothing about TikTok that sucks as much shit as long Twitter threads. Twitter threads are fucking terrible from a usability and engagement standpoint, the fact that people cram moderate length content in a platform designed for snippets of text boggles the mind.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

If you're getting fake news on TikTok it's because you're using the app to engage with current events to some extent. I use Twitter for that along with more traditional websites. Twitter and Facebook will show me stuff I've not engaged with or searched for in months, if you swipe past a couple TikTok's on a certain topic or you don't follow creators that post on those topics, you just don't see them again after almost no time at all.

And there is absolutely nothing about TikTok that sucks as much shit as long Twitter threads. Twitter threads are fucking terrible from a usability and engagement standpoint, the fact that people cram moderate length content in a platform designed for snippets of text boggles the mind.

Right. And I'm saying the userbase of the app seems to engage. Therefore it will be a magnet for fake news creators and consumers. Pass. Plus, I can get the same short video annoying voiceover no attention span experience on Instagram if I want to. Or hell even Twitter. But I don't, so... Double pass.

Speaking of food and TikTok, Dave Chang just made a TikTok account and it’s really good.

8a8beb4af3d949eb8d0e9ad01f16af4e_1664955
WWW.TIKTOK.COM

One of the best things you will eat: the savoy marinara pie in Tokyo. #pizza #marinara #tokyopizza #garlic #neoploitan #tokyo

16 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Right. And I'm saying the userbase of the app seems to engage. 

The whole cloth userbase of the web engages in fake news, TikTok is not unique in this regard at all. You just have muscle memory for it built in when you're browsing the web, filtering emails, etc.

To be clear my point is not, "you should use TikTok." There's only so much time in the day. But I do think the narrative from people around my age is that it's for kids with no attention span and that's just not correct at all. It's very useful if you know how to use it.

• Like 1

It's not more about moral qualms of a platform specifically but if this hyper-enabled consumption that the internet has created is really all that practical, or may be detrimental in itself. Sure there was plenty of brain-rot back then but at least the information flow was local, and entertainment was largely paywalled. Now silicon valley releases a 'platform' and assumes the audience to create the 'content'. Bit backwards I think.

Personal commodification is already in a weird as shit state, people wanting to be brands without an iota of an actual project.

Also, the 'algorhythm' isn't a neutral remark. It is not simply personified by your consumption but by the larger population as well. Research into youtube shows it does lean into right wing politics because it 'engages' at a higher rate than other content on the platform as a whole. Facebook is just political period.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The whole cloth userbase of the web engages in fake news, TikTok is not unique in this regard at all. You just have muscle memory for it built in when you're browsing the web, filtering emails, etc.

To be clear my point is not, "you should use TikTok." There's only so much time in the day. But I do think the narrative from people around my age is that it's for kids with no attention span and that's just not correct at all. It's very useful if you know how to use it.

I agree that it's not unique in helping spread disinformation. Of the current crop of heavily used apps though, I do think it's the best at spreading it. So if it's not unique and you need to know how to use it, how is it useful compared to what's already out there? Genuine question. I don't use the app so I don't know. I've only ever engaged with its content when posted to other platforms; which like I said I can't tell the difference between a girl shaking her booty to a terrible song on IG Reels/Twitter/Reddit and a girl shaking her booty to a terrible song on TikTok.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

TikTok is all about “discovery” and I don’t like any product that pushes such a thing. I don’t want big recommendations of virtually anything :p 

I mean, you have three options: 1) use a "trusted" news source and realize they are pushing an agenda, 2) use an algorithm based source and realize that it might not be pushing a specific agenda, but still push you towards content depending on crowd behavior, or 3) curate your own news feed, which is a combination of the two. And most people won't do that.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, you have three options: 1) use a "trusted" news source and realize they are pushing an agenda, 2) use an algorithm based source and realize that it might not be pushing a specific agenda, but still push you towards content depending on crowd behavior, or 3) curate your own news feed, which is a combination of the two. And most people won't do that.

Everything is pushing an agenda.  As a customer of information, you need to understand bias and adjust for it.  My recollection was I was taught this in social studies in high school.  Don't they still teach people how to interact with news media?

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I used to feel the same way, but I'm coming around to it. Forcing it into small snippits achieves a few things.

• It forces people advertise the point quickly, lest they lose engagement.
  • It forces people break their thoughts up into clearly communicable ideas.
  • It allows quoting and responding to specific points.
  • Provides a clearer off ramp to the reader if they got what they wanted.
  • It prevents people replying to you with huge lengthy replies, which in turn may increase engagement.

Ultimately, most people suck at writing and I think Twitter's constraints actually forces people to make more engaging content.

That doesn't mean it's good for everything, but I think there is value in the constraint.

To further make this point, counterintuitively, academia twitter is shockingly useful because the above factors make it easy to find content you might be interested in and it's low overhead to talk to the author.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

YouTube and Twitter push discovery too.

Since I don't TikTok, it's hard for me to say whether their algorithm is more or less aggressive.

I use a Twitter 3rd party app that is just my follows in a chronological timeline, no suggested tweets, no ads. Obviously the network effect can simply amplify things in that timeline.

I don’t use YouTube other than when somebody links directly to a video. Now that I think about it, that’s the only way I ever interact with TikTok, looking at a video somebody linked me to.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I am a news feed curator. Generally I spend most of my time with hard news and very limited opinion journalism, and honestly I only check out opinion journalists so that I can know the arguments normies on that side of the issue are going to make. I am all about those primary sources :p 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

@sblfilms to redeem yourself, you n ed to:

1) Watch a video on how to put on makeup

2 Watch a video on picking out your outfit for the day

3) Watch a video on what boys are really thinking

4) Watch a video of a 16-year old twerking to a random rap song

I think this is more to do with your feed than the platform bruh

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Teach me senpai

There's an arrow on the video, press the video and you can copy the embed code. For example here is the one you posted previously

@balanceoftheforce Padmé, the Queen of Mixed Signals 🥂 #starwars #comedy #plottwist #anakinskywalker #padme #firstdate #relationship #viral #fyp ♬ Luna, amore e no - Piero Piccioni
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's an arrow on the video, press the video and you can copy the embed code. For example here is the one you posted previously

Not quite following. By the arrow, you mean that share icon that’s under the comments bubble right? I then go to copy link and paste it here. What should I be doing instead?