2022 Midterm Thread

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The reason I don't anymore is simply convenience. Especially living in a city, potentially waiting in lines and dealing with whatever the hell on actual election day is just not something I want to deal with if I can avoid it. When I lived in rural areas where it was incredibly convenient and easy I would physically go but now I don't see the point plus we need to encourage mail in voting so it survives.

What I've been doing for the most part is depositing my sealed mail-in ballot in person at the polling place on election day. It's in and out that way even if there's a line for the machines. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I like to vote in person, but I also don’t do it on Election Day. We have 7 day early voting in Texas, so I just go when I notice a line is short at one of the polling locations. Usually in and out in 5 minutes.

Excuse me sir, I've been reliably told that voting is basically impossible in Texas. 

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Excuse me sir, I've been reliably told that voting is basically impossible in Texas. 

Wow, a richie rich with an extremely flexible work schedule has no problem voting, that obviously totally disproves my point.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Wow, a richie rich with an extremely flexible work schedule has no problem voting, that obviously totally disproves my point.

Must have missed that 7 days of early voting, and richie rich probably works more hours than the average person to be richie rich. 

Texas has 3 MILLION people who live in rural areas. In 2010, 84.7 percent of Texans lived in urban areas.

You know the difference between the rural Texans and the urban Texans? The rural Texans vote. 

Harris County alone could flip Texas blue, with it's population of over 4 million.

It’s always dumb shit to make voting more difficult for young people and minorities. Not impossible but raises the bar to discourage voting. So a gun license can be used as acceptable ID but not a student ID*. TAMU, one of the largest universities by student population in the country, gets zero to one polling place on campus (I voted for Obama in my dining hall and that was one of many polling places back in 08! And I could use my goddamn utility bill to vote in ‘10!).

Or like in WI, a drivers license or specific DMV issued ID (which requires a handful of documents to get) is needed to vote, oh and by the way we’re closing all DMVs after 4pm anywhere near a bus line and no we won’t be open before 9 or on the weekend. 

Hell I wouldn’t be shocked if republicans try to make ballots English only again

*example here from NC but could apply to TX

• True 1

7 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Horseshit

I definitely work more hours per week than the average hourly worker in America, and more than any of my employees (hourly or salary) do. Typical week for me is 65 hours, and I work everyday.

But mostly be choice, and I usually have the ability to choose not to do whatever I’m doing at any given moment. So flexibility exists for me in a way that it doesn’t for the average worker.

That being said, I used to be just a regular hourly worker and still found time to go vote because I felt it was a worthwhile thing to do.

I always think about my granny though, she is a Black woman who grew up in the Jim Crow south. She understands the meaning of voting. Despite having no car, she still walks at 86 years old down to the polling location in her terribly poor neighborhood in the middle of Houston every year to vote in whatever elections are going on. She makes sure her registration is still valid. She makes sure her ID isn’t expired in case they try and turn her away. We can try and make voting easier, I think that is a good goal, but it turns out old Black women with no cars sure can find a way to go vote because they know the price of not doing so.

As someone who used to be in the movie theater game, the 65 hours checks out. Fuck EVER doing that type of work again. Good on you for being where you’re at now though, I respect the hustle.

Anyways, I do the mail in ballot, mostly because I know it triggers right wingers. The best part? My polling place is LITERALLY across the street from my house.

It actually would take me less time to walk across the street and vote in person than it would to fill out my ballot and seal it.

• Halal 1

Oz comes off as relatively "reasonable" in this interview with NBC News and actually outflanks Fetterman from the left on the subject of Federal mandatory minimum prison sentencing:

221013-nbc-news-dr-mehmet-oz-interview-e
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The GOP nominee for the Senate in battleground Pennsylvania spoke in an interview about topics from criminal justice reform to his opponent's health.

I'm absolutely convinced that an Oz/Shapiro split-ticket vote is very much going to be a significant reality.

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oz comes off as relatively "reasonable" in this interview with NBC News and actually outflanks Fetterman from the left on the subject of Federal mandatory minimum prison sentencing:

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The GOP nominee for the Senate in battleground Pennsylvania spoke in an interview about topics from criminal justice reform to his opponent's health.

I'm absolutely convinced that an Oz/Shapiro split-ticket vote is very much going to be a significant reality.

Fuck.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

If there’s one thing Oz has been smart at, it’s his TV ads. He’s got footage of his little crisis actor stunt in Kensington, using footage of the living dead up there that A LOT of people in Philly will respond to. All he needs to do is NOT pull a Trump at the debate and mock drug users.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Then he does this.

• Guillotine 3

21 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I definitely work more hours per week than the average hourly worker in America, and more than any of my employees (hourly or salary) do. Typical week for me is 65 hours, and I work everyday.

But mostly be choice, and I usually have the ability to choose not to do whatever I’m doing at any given moment. So flexibility exists for me in a way that it doesn’t for the average worker.

That being said, I used to be just a regular hourly worker and still found time to go vote because I felt it was a worthwhile thing to do.

I always think about my granny though, she is a Black woman who grew up in the Jim Crow south. She understands the meaning of voting. Despite having no car, she still walks at 86 years old down to the polling location in her terribly poor neighborhood in the middle of Houston every year to vote in whatever elections are going on. She makes sure her registration is still valid. She makes sure her ID isn’t expired in case they try and turn her away. We can try and make voting easier, I think that is a good goal, but it turns out old Black women with no cars sure can find a way to go vote because they know the price of not doing so.

I'm in a position right now where I basically make my own hours, and while I still work just as much (if not more) than I used to, it's... Different.

Like, today I showed up two hours "late" because I got a haircut and ran an errand. There's nobody to tell me I can't do that. On the other hand, I have to basically be available all the time and can't just take time off whenever I want. I manage a wedding venue/event space. If we have shit going on, I have to be there. It can't function without me.

So it's a trade off. I make my own hours, which is empowering in a way, but I also can't tell my boss "hey, I won't be here next week, figure it out." I am the boss.

I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks because it's the only weekend until January that we don't have any events. Hopefully by December I'll have things set up so that I don't have to be there and it can run without me, because otherwise I don't think I'll have a day off between November and January.

And no, I don't get paid enough for all of that extra responsibility. The old manager quit and I kind of just assumed the role without much discussion and all I got was an extra $2/hour

On 10/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, sblfilms said:

Now that you’re rich you need to get granny an Uber this year.

3 hours ago, outsida said:

The implication that diabetes treatment is the sole result of ‘eating right’. 

That isn’t what he said or implied. He said he wants to reduce the cost of insulin but it doesn’t matter if you don’t eat right. That is absolutely correct. 

For those who don’t know, literally every dedicated diabetes doctor’s office has in-house dietitians and going over how to eat properly is given more emphasis than the actual medication. Insulin does not fix anything, it is one piece of the care regimen, and not all diabetics even take insulin but every one of us has the be very mindful of our food intake.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t what he said or implied. He said he wants to reduce the cost of insulin but it doesn’t matter if you don’t eat right. That is absolutely correct. 

For those who don’t know, literally every dedicated diabetes doctor’s office has in-house dietitians and going over how to eat properly is given more emphasis than the actual medication. Insulin does not fix anything, it is one piece of the care regimen, and not all diabetics even take insulin but every one of us has the be very mindful of our food intake.

He wants to reduce the price of gas but it doesn’t matter if you don’t get oil changes. 

It’s completely correct yet completely meaningless in the context of a debate for the U.S. senate