2022 Midterm Thread

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I can't wait to run for office and have this exchange with someone:

Me: I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles, but my opponent still wants to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. I wish he would explain why.

Far-right dude: Hey I'm for universes but you gotta eat spinach.

And then come here and watch the g'damn contrarian tryhards miss the point and go, "Spinach actually has major health benefits," and continue to be disappointed with you fuckers sometimes. :| 

But what do you have against spinach? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah let's make smokers pay for chemo, too, and women who get pregnant pay for their childbirth. Those are consequences of choices too, amirite?

Neither of those things are like insulin for type 2 diabetics. For all but the tiniest minority, they could change their lifestyle habits and be off of insulin in only a few months, potentially weeks. You can’t discourage the already cancer riddled smoker or pregnant woman from continuing the behavior that caused their current condition. They already smoked 10 packs a day and shagged, respectively.

But the cause of needing to take insulin for the type 2 diabetic is something that can be changed at any point, and the change creates better health outcomes. It is very important to understand a type 2 diabetic will not live as long or as healthy if they stay on insulin for the rest of their life. Type 1 diabetics, who must take insulin forever, can though. The key issue of a type 2 diabetic is insulin resistance. Generally their pancreas is making plenty of insulin, but their body isn’t able to use it. So they end up taking more and more insulin over time to try and overpower the insulin resistance. The end of that is heart failure, kidney failure, dialysis, and transplants.

Your framing here shows again your misunderstanding of the issue.

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I can't wait to run for office and have this exchange with someone:

Me: I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles, but my opponent still wants to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. I wish he would explain why.

Far-right dude: Hey I'm for universes but you gotta eat spinach.

And then come here and watch the g'damn contrarian tryhards miss the point and go, "Spinach actually has major health benefits," and continue to be disappointed with you fuckers sometimes. :| 

I’m sorry 

lol

what do you do again?

Wanna lecture me more about healthcare? Should I sign up for your podcast? Please educate me more than Johns Fucking Hopkins did.

I’ll gladly sit in on this class. Since you know better than me.

further, tf does universal healthcare have to do with the aca?

3 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I’m sorry 

lol

what do you do again?

Wanna lecture me more about healthcare? Should I sign up for your podcast? Please educate me more than Johns Fucking Hopkins did.

I’ll gladly sit in on this class. Since you know better than me.

Do you even know what you're arguing? It's like you're fighting an alternate dimension version of me.

Do you even know what you're arguing? It's like you're fighting an alternate dimension version of me.

I accept your concession.

conflate a public option with aca again though; that was my favorite part.

id like your opinion on the appropriate response to a treatment for an easily treatable chronic health condition 

This entire discussion doesn't even begin to address the underlying socio-economic reasons why people -- especially those on the lower end of the economic strata -- fail to make healthier dietary decisions.

Type 2 diabetes and its associated insulin use is a symptom of a vastly more significant problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

Just now, TUFKAK said:

I accept your concession.

About what? Your dieting advice is irrelevant to the conversation. How do you get a college education and flunk reading this badly?

With one exception, everyone here is doing an excellent job reading and understanding my posts -- which aren't complicated endeavors -- and following my clearly presented arguments about Warnock and Walker's shitty answer, and none of them had to spend all that money on John Hopkins to do it. Why are you doing such a bad job on something that anybody here can do? 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This entire discussion doesn't even begin to address the underlying socio-economic reasons why people -- especially those on the lower end of the economic strata -- fail to make healthier dietary decisions.

Oh I’d love to have that conversation. I’m an avowed classical Marxist existing as a winner of neo liberalism, I want to destroy that world

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

About what? Your dieting advice is irrelevant to the conversation. How do you get a college education and flunk reading this badly?

With one exception, everyone here is doing an excellent job reading and understanding my posts -- which aren't complicated endeavors -- and following my clearly presented arguments about Warnock and Walker's shitty answer, and none of them had to spend all that money on John Hopkins to do it. Why are you doing such a bad job on something that anybody here can do? 

K

several college degrees ftr, get it right if you’re gonna question it.

All I know is, wanting people to pay less would make me anti-spinach to some dumb dumbs here who can graduate college but can't follow message board talk. :doh:

25 dollars for a thousand units at my local wal mart

since you know better than me I won’t even begin to explain sliding scales and bolus doses.

I’m not in the medical field, but I’ve been a diabetic since childhood (misdiagnosed as a type 1, actually have a type of MODY) and have taken courses to do volunteer diabetes education for a couple of local orgs that assist immigrant populations.

The amount of misunderstanding that diabetics themselves have is astounding, so it doesn’t surprise me that non-diabetics would think that the unethically high American insulin prices for new gen insulins are a direct concern of diabetics generally.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Type 2 diabetes and its associated insulin use is a symptom of a vastly more significant problem.

Correct, which is why I said the notion that it isn’t relevant to a US senator as claimed by @b_m_b_m_b_mis flatly incorrect. There are actually many things the US could do, legislatively, to increase the nutritional value of the average American meal. It would save lives AND money.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Good Lord, the fact that you EDITED IN the second part after trying to one-word shit post smacks of such insecurity. :lol: How did I break you this easily?

Oh no, I regret my Hopkins education to a level you’ll never understand 

only thing I’m insecure about is my body 

conflate a public option with the aca again though 

still my favorite 

oh noes I edited, insult me again someone who works in not my profession educating me about it

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jesus CHRIST I was waiting for someone to bring this up! All this "People should eat healthier stuff" COMPLETELY ignores how hard it is for poor people to eat healthy, whole foods because of systeminc inequities due to class and race. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

conflate a public option with the aca again though 

I didn't, but again, seeing as several who reacted to it seemed to understand it and the John Hopkins textbooks didn't help, lemme break it down:

"I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles"

One thought. 

"but my opponent still wants to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. I wish he would explain why."

Second thought. Now, if I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles, obviously it's something I don't think exists yet. Therefore, I can't think the ACA actually fixed the problem. So what, by God, could I be talking about? Maybe I think trying to dismantle an existing health care law is taking us back when we should be building on it with a completely universal health care system!

Judging by your failure at this, I am now 100% confident you'd be arguing spinach health benefits if I were in a debate. :doh:

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Jesus CHRIST I was waiting for someone to bring this up! All this "People should eat healthier stuff" COMPLETELY ignores how hard it is for poor people to eat healthy, whole foods because of systeminc inequities due to class and race. 

Agreed, which is why it's funny the guy saying it is the guy upvoting you.

Probably explains why he thinks I'm disagreeing with him that less sugar is bad!

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Food deserts exist.

i lived near Lexington market in Bmore, I had to drive 25 minutes to get veggies; it wasn’t easy 

but I also look at it as a bodybuilder who lived there and went no carb pre contest and managed it. It can be done, it just takes knowledge and effort 

I didn't, but again, seeing as several who reacted to it seemed to understand it and the John Hopkins textbooks didn't help, lemme break it down:

"I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles"

One thought. 

"but my opponent still wants to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. I wish he would explain why."

Second thought. Now, if I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles, obviously it's something I don't think exists yet. Therefore, I can't think the ACA actually fixed the problem. So what, by God, could I be talking about? Maybe I think trying to dismantle an existing health care law is taking us back when we should be building on it with a completely universal health care system!

Judging by your failure at this, I am now 100% confident you'd be arguing spinach health benefits if I were in a debate. :doh:

Agreed, which is why it's funny the guy saying it is the guy upvoting you.

Probably explains why he thinks I'm disagreeing with him that less sugar is bad!

Lol

still a friend even though we fighting right now ftr

3 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Lol

still a friend even though we fighting right now ftr

I don't get why you're fighting with me! WHY?! I barely disagreed with you about anything besides what Walker's statement meant in the debate.

Of course you could wipe the floor with me on health care and the human body itself; that's why I'm not arguing with you on that! 

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

It can be done, it just takes knowledge and effort 

I agree it CAN be done, but processed food at the end of the day is CHEAPER than whole foods and lasts longer. A lot of preventable health issues in this country come down to MUCH more than simple "personal choice" which I'm sure we can all agree. It doesn't change the fact that Walker pivoted the way he did because he has no answer for the question at hand and I doubt if he even KNOWS what the issue is because the man is a fucking moron.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A consistent running argument that I had with my former flatmate was the subject of why obesity was so prevalent in the United States, especially among minority/poor populations.

I couldn't get it through her thick Russian skull that it's really difficult to have a healthy lifestyle when someone has to work multiple jobs just to put food on the table and when that food is low-quality, pre-packaged, processed garbage that happens to be significantly more affordable than high-quality, far healthier choices, then how could a person in that position NOT make that less-healthy choice?  This to say nothing of the vast swathes of this country (both urban and rural) that are "food deserts" where the only place that sells groceries happens to Wal-Mart or other similar retailer.  Or maybe that person simply doesn't have the time between work and family to actually prepare meals at home and has to rely on food purchased from fast-food outlets. And on...and on...etc.

But -- try as I might -- I could never get through to her that a healthy lifestyle in the United States of America is yet another socio-economic/class privilege.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't get why you're fighting with me! WHY?! I barely disagreed with you about anything besides what Walker's statement meant in the debate.

Of course you could wipe the floor with me on health care and the human body itself; that's why I'm not arguing with you on that! 

Because at some level people need to own their own health, it’s not societies job to control your health. We should absolutely minimize barriers: food deserts, insulin costs, access to healthcare, etc but at some level, you need to be responsible for you. I exist in a space where people haven’t done that and my own personal life shows it can be done.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I agree it CAN be done, but processed food at the end of the day is CHEAPER than whole foods and lasts longer. A lot of preventable health issues in this country come down to MUCH more than simple "personal choice" which I'm sure we can all agree. It doesn't change the fact that Walker pivoted the way he did because he has no answer for the question at hand and I doubt if he even KNOWS what the issue is because the man is a fucking moron.

I’m not disagreeing here my friend, it’s why I said he’s both wrong And right. You’ve had two nurses tell you most of our jobs are based on other people fucking up. If I can voluntarily choose to live a carb reduced life for vanity reasons, I find it hard to believe thst people who’s entire life is based on carb reduction cant

i bought eggs and bacon on the corner of Lexington and cathedral in Bmore 

its doable 

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Yes people should eat healthier 
Yes insulin should be cheaper and healthcare affordable for all

bitches be crazy GIF by Girls on HBO
Y’all are bored af today. It’s a beautiful day. Go outside

The worst part is I'm at work and behind on my 5 o'clock show that starts in 10 minutes.

Fuck me. :| 

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

I will drink to this

md and my fiancé are in our corner lot house 

when my game room

is done I’m posting pics in the ceb

I just find the topic very interesting given both my personal experience and my work as a layman diabetes educator.

It think it is notable that even a senator pushing hard to decrease new gen insulin prices (as @TUFKAK, we have many cheap cheap cheap legacy insulins available, even cheaper than the $35 cap) doesn’t seem to understand that that product is not important to the vast majority of diabetics. Despite the huge problem that diabetes is in America, it’s is wildly misunderstood even in 2022.

1 minute ago, Brian said:

I'm still trying to figure out how "People should eat more vegetables" is an acceptable answer to "Why are you against capping the costs of insulin."I digress though and I'm actually gonna follow your advice and fuck right off out of this topic. Ya'll have fun :peace:

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still trying to figure out how "People should eat more vegetables" is an acceptable answer to "Why are you against capping the costs of insulin."I digress though and I'm actually gonna follow your advice and fuck right off out of this topic. Ya'll have fun :peace:

Do you want an actual endocrinology response here?

2 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Do you want an actual endocrinology response here?

It’s also weird because that wasn’t Walker’s answer 😂 Now, you certainly could argue that is really what he wants, but what he actually said is he wants to lower prices of insulin but eating better is just as important.

If anything, he undersold the impact of diet!