Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

This game is sitting very nicely in my mind post finish. I think it might be a genuine 10/10. Nothing is perfect but boy am I low on complaints with this one.

Glad you really enjoyed it since it was your first playthrough. I am not that amazed by it it but it was very good.

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Glad you really enjoyed it since it was your first playthrough. I am not that amazed by it it but it was very good.

Yeah you already knew how great RE4 is, this was my first time seeing it for myself!

• True 1

I just gave it a 10/10 because I really liked playing it and it was a really good game with my complaints being only minor. It's not even close to perfect but it's still really good and it doesn't have a strong enough negative aspect to it for me to deduct a point.

13 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That was a really dumb statement for them to make at the beginning of the game. I ignored that and chose Normal anyway, and I'm still struggling with the game because there are a lot more areas where the enemies never stop respawning, but there's really no way to know until after you've spent a shit ton of ammo killing a bunch of them. Then you just kinda realize it's never going to stop and move on. I've been squeezed on ammo a few times because of this. It's one of the few things I don't really like about the game.

The game is different enough from the original where it doesn't really matter if you've played it before, except maybe the strategy of one or two bosses, like the first giant fight.

I just finished the water hall, and used my very last bullet defending Ashley. Shit was intense. The game was nice enough to give me like 40 handgun rounds right after that, though. 

I kinda feel like I wasted money on a bigger attaché case, since I’m pretty much using everything I get not long after I get it! :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

This game is sitting very nicely in my mind post finish. I think it might be a genuine 10/10. Nothing is perfect but boy am I low on complaints with this one.

The best part of RE4 are the subsequent playthroughs with jacked up guns and infinite ammo. I can't wait.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Didn’t they make it widescreen and improve in the GC version, plus put the added content from the ps2 version into it?

I’m like 99% positive @Keyser_Soze will be the judge if they made it widescreens and improved in the GC version, plus added content from the ps2 version into it or not.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

Finally started playing on Steam on Hardcore mode - on Chapter 3 so far. It's not that hard so far, but they definitely throw a lot of zombies at you per area and they definitely expect you to use everything in an efficient manner. Been really digging it so far. Honestly, while it's still similar to RE2R and RE3R, you can kind of see how RE3R was a bridge in terms of changing these games from survival horror to action horror. By the end of that game you are firing off a massive machine gun as Carlos. By this game, just like the original, you can go ape shit to a degree that in the old games you couldn't. 

No spoilers:

I found out recently when I got to Chapter 13 that some of the errands you can do were not cut off to me. Twice the merchant said something along the lines of, "Might want to wrap up some of the things you need to do. Wouldn't want to wonder 'What if?'" The first time was obvious for me and I did side stuff before proceeding, but I didn't do the same the second time he said it. I feel silly now.

So just a heads up for anyone not finished: when he says that, finish what you need to do!

21 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Finally started playing on Steam on Hardcore mode - on Chapter 3 so far. It's not that hard so far, but they definitely throw a lot of zombies at you per area and they definitely expect you to use everything in an efficient manner. Been really digging it so far. Honestly, while it's still similar to RE2R and RE3R, you can kind of see how RE3R was a bridge in terms of changing these games from survival horror to action horror. By the end of that game you are firing off a massive machine gun as Carlos. By this game, just like the original, you can go ape shit to a degree that in the old games you couldn't. 

I was wondering if I'd enjoy RE4 Remake as much as RE2 Remake since I really love the RE1/RE2 formula -- the single area with locked doors that has to be revisited, planning your travels around enemies you know are still alive in certain rooms, heavy inventory/ammo management, etc. I knew RE4 original was praised to high heaven despite being more action-oriented, but I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it.

I'm already looking forward to loading up an old save in Ch. 11 and getting the stuff I missed... unless I REALLY want to do NG+ once I'm finished.

• Like 1

Yesterday, a somewhat famous YouTuber gaming critic known as Crowbcat released an RE4 comparison titled "soul vs soulless Resident Evil 4 comparison" with a description telling you to draw your own conclusions despite it being very obvious that Crowbcat is calling the remake soulless and video very much made its priority to show the remake make as soulless.

Now, I actually agree it is soulless. But soulless games can be good just like re4 remake was.

Since that video came out, the video has obtained almost 700k views and 31k likes and 22k dislikes. Reddit, of course, is making their opinions heard about the video. Now, who's to know if Crowbcat is backtracking or making fun of his haters, but he has since renamed the video to "Resident Evil 4 Remake is a masterpiece" with the description reading "In this video we're looking at how the Resident Evil 4 Remake improved over the original while still keeping the soul." To me, it is obvious he is making fun of his haters, but to others, they fully believe he is doing damage control despite the video's narrative pushing the remake to be seen as soulless.

11ce61928a2da79431f618258f43c044.png

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yesterday, a somewhat famous YouTuber gaming critic known as Crowbcat released an RE4 comparison titled "soul vs soulless Resident Evil 4 comparison" with a description telling you to draw your own conclusions despite it being very obvious that Crowbcat is calling the remake soulless and video very much made its priority to show the remake make as soulless.

Now, I actually agree it is soulless. But soulless games can be good just like re4 remake was.

Since that video came out, the video has obtained almost 700k views and 31k likes and 22k dislikes. Reddit, of course, is making their opinions heard about the video. Now, who's to know if Crowbcat is backtracking or making fun of his haters, but he has since renamed the video to "Resident Evil 4 Remake is a masterpiece" with the description reading "In this video we're looking at how the Resident Evil 4 Remake improved over the original while still keeping the soul." To me, it is obvious he is making fun of his haters, but to others, they fully believe he is doing damage control despite the video's narrative pushing the remake to be seen as soulless.

11ce61928a2da79431f618258f43c044.png

I feel like "soul" within the context of big budget video games made by teams of hundreds in a major franchise that went through several iterations prior to landing on the one that very clearly had the most mass market appeal is odd to begin with. I don't know that the original RE4 had "soul" and while I appreciate that the remake is by definition derivative, I think it's going as hard as the original in terms of aiming to appeal as much as it can to fans of the original while not doing shit that would immediately be called out in 2023 that wasn't in 2005, like upskirt shots and a grown ass man seeing a college student and immediately commenting on her tits.

EDIT - also having watched some of that video, if whoever uploaded that didn't fuck with the audio balance, then whatever was used to capture and upload it sure did. My hearing is lousy and I can hear the ambient and environmental effects in the remake just fine?