Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

24 minutes ago, Hand76 said:

Into Chapter 5. Knew to clear the lake but there are are parts of the village that are blocked off now right after getting Ashley.

The abandoned factor and Valley are blocked by a tree for absolutely no reason. I don't know why this was a design choice. It's a terrible one. Several items down there I'll never be able to pickup. Sucks. And it's not in any of the guides I saw that talk about points of no return

It was like this in the original as well FWIW

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

The remake of RE4 wouldn't be as well received as it is if it wasn't for the RE4 that came before it, I believe.  The remake doesn't feel nearly as memorable as the OG. The remake is great, and I am sure there are some wrong and dumb people who weren't fans of the campy cheesy action movie of a game that is RE4, but that is what made the game stick out. Look even to RE5. What do people remember fondly about that game? Chris punching a boulder. It is so bad it's good.

The remake has none of that. Sure, lots of other improvements, as I said the game is great. Easily a 9 or 10 with a GOTY chance. But I wish it pulled also included all the cheese as well. I beat chapter 11 and thought, "oh, well, that's lame," and I have felt like that about some other changes too but the "change" that chapter 11 brings, while making total sense, is just lame to me. Is it far more serious and sincere? Yep, totally. Do I prefer it over the over-the-top ridiculousness? Nope, not at all.

I mean, I liked the cheesy crap in the original just fine (and there's tons of cheesy crap here) but of course the original would be more memorable. Not just for the cheesiness, but basically for reinventing the third-person shooter and giving us something we'd never played before. The cheesiness was only a fraction of what made it interesting.

I would disagree entirely with that. If it was the exact same story, with the same characters, and the only thing that was different is that it played like absolute shit, no one would've cared beyond cult classic status. "Remember this weird piece of crap Capcom made 2 decades ago?" Cheesy nonsense was par for the course back in the early 2000s.

Beat it. Final boss was easier than expected. Guess I didn't need to make 20+ shotgun rounds and buy a second magnum so I could have 15 magnum shots across two guns.

Ain't got much to say. It's resident evil 4. Better in many ways, worse in fewer. Might as well give it a 10/10. It's pretty good. If I was an official reviewer I'd give it a 9/10 because the fact that the game is only the campaign is a letdown. 

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Beat it. Final boss was easier than expected. Guess I didn't need to make 20+ shotgun rounds and buy a second magnum so I could have 15 magnum shots across two guns.

Ain't got much to say. It's resident evil 4. Better in many ways, worse in fewer. Might as well give it a 10/10. It's pretty good. If I was an official reviewer I'd give it a 9/10 because the fact that the game is only the campaign is a letdown. 

I vaguely heard from someone that we get Mercenaries in May? Have not been Googling anything as I don't want spoilers so no idea if that's true.

There was one boss fight that I just beat without ever learning how you are supposed to do it.

Spoiler

I'm talking about Krauser. So, I died twice to him, but then I stun-locked him to death with a maxed-out combat knife. The speed was so fast that once he was staggered couldn't even doing anything. I shot him maybe 4 times with the shotgun and then I just knifed like a machine gun and he died. Another fight I wish I had recorded just because it was over so fast. Krauser didn't even get to finish his fight dialogue.

Just started the game yesterday and got an hour in, right after the title shows up on the screen after the tutorial area.

So was there an easier way to do that area? I can't believe I died 2 or 3 times but 

Spoiler

the enemies became overwhelming and I ran out of ways to defend myself. The time that I won, I ran into the building in the center, which was followed by a scene of you blocking the doors, and then I knocked down the ladders a few times. I didn't see the exit to the roof, but I did fight my way back outside, and eventually a scene started where the church bell rang and everyone walked away. But phew, I died a few times before getting to that.

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Just started the game yesterday and got an hour in, right after the title shows up on the screen after the tutorial area.

So was there an easier way to do that area? I can't believe I died 2 or 3 times but 

Hide contents

the enemies became overwhelming and I ran out of ways to defend myself. The time that I won, I ran into the building in the center, which was followed by a scene of you blocking the doors, and then I knocked down the ladders a few times. I didn't see the exit to the roof, but I did fight my way back outside, and eventually a scene started where the church bell rang and everyone walked away. But phew, I died a few times before getting to that.

Sometimes you just need to keep moving instead of engaging each enemy in these games. That area in particular can be a lot because it’s mostly hold out for x amount of time and/or kill x amount of enemies to trigger a cutscene 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Sometimes you just need to keep moving instead of engaging each enemy in these games. That area in particular can be a lot because it’s mostly hold out for x amount of time and/or kill x amount of enemies to trigger a cutscene 

Yeah, and I totally would have not engaged if I weren't constantly cornered with no way to safely move past them. :p 

I had to take my licks when trying to run by since I'd get tackled and at some point, my knife was broken. I'm not expecting the whole game to be like this; it's a tutorial, it's high octane to start things with a bang, so I get it. But since it was a tutorial area, I kept thinking, "I must be complicating this."

A couple observations about the shooting gallery:

1) Sometimes to get all the medals you're dependent on RNG bullet spread. The only way to finish quick enough to get the bonus points you need is to shoot something at a distance where the bullet might miss completely or not hit the smaller bit of the target. I just finished 2-C and it took me maybe 15 tries where the strategy was solid but the TMP and RNGesus didn't bless me until the last attempt. Getting S ranks is pretty easy so far, it's just that last star for the bonus silver medal can be a real drag.

2) Prizes from the charm gumball machine seem to be locked. I dunno if it's the same for everyone on each run or if there's random seed per run, etc. But if you buy 10, 3 gold medal prizes from the machine then reload and try again, you'll get the same 10 prizes if you use 3 gold medals again. Same for every combination of medals. So you could presumably save scum to see when you get specific charms you're looking for, then reload to save medals if the ones after that aren't interesting, or dupes, etc. The game does seem to be honest when it says more gold medals get you better prizes, but what you get is NOT randomly determined every time you buy something.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

1) Sometimes to get all the medals you're dependent on RNG bullet spread. The only way to finish quick enough to get the bonus points you need is to shoot something at a distance where the bullet might miss completely or not hit the smaller bit of the target. I just finished 2-C and it took me maybe 15 tries where the strategy was solid but the TMP and RNGesus didn't bless me until the last attempt. Getting S ranks is pretty easy so far, it's just that last star for the bonus silver medal can be a real drag.

It was very hard with the handgun but you just have to wait for the crosshairs to constrict, or anticipate right before they constrict and the shot usually hits. Basically you can't be moving the stick (or in my case the mouse :sickos:)

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It was very hard with the handgun but you just have to wait for the crosshairs to constrict, or anticipate right before they constrict and the shot usually hits. Basically you can't be moving the stick (or in my case the mouse :sickos:)

I don’t think there’s enough time to wait for that at the end of 1-A, which is ironically the hardest one to get the bonus silver medals. And in the ones with the TMP, even when the reticule is tight, there’s still a decent amount of spread.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

2) Prizes from the charm gumball machine seem to be locked. I dunno if it's the same for everyone on each run or if there's random seed per run, etc. But if you buy 10, 3 gold medal prizes from the machine then reload and try again, you'll get the same 10 prizes if you use 3 gold medals again. Same for every combination of medals. So you could presumably save scum to see when you get specific charms you're looking for, then reload to save medals if the ones after that aren't interesting, or dupes, etc. The game does seem to be honest when it says more gold medals get you better prizes, but what you get is NOT randomly determined every time you buy something.

On 3/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bacon said:

So, some fucking bullshit is that the gatcha isn't actually random. It is predetermined when you make a new game. Each pull is determined by the type of coins you put in. Let's say you put in 3 gold coins and you get Shotgun Leon.  So you reload and put in three gold coins again. Well, you'll get Shotgun Leon again. Now, let's say you put in 1 silver coin and 2 gold coins and you get Ashley. Well, if you put in 3 gold coins after that you will still get shotgun Leon. Each combination path is predetermined. You can never skip shotgun Leon or Ashley or whatever. I really hate that because there is a movement speed increase charm and you can't just save scum to get it.

Yeah, each run is a seed. You explained it much better than I did lol.

• Hugs 1

Yeah the hardest challenge in the game (Which I just finished!) was getting a really good all coin/medal run of the last shooting gallery. Was a lot of fun though! Much better than the shitty (but still quite entertaining at the time) gallery in the original!

While I have S-Rank in 4-C it is the only one I didn't bother getting the bonus round in. Also, fuck the bolt thrower lol. I could not grasp its fundamentals and used a YT video to understand how I was supposed to use that weapon in that challenge.

46 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You guys use auto-sort? I didn't until I did and never stopped. I dislike its disordered optimal placement over my orderly styled placement, but convenience won in the end even if my case looks like shit was just dumped in.

Auto-sort ALL day baby!

Deep into chapter 13. It's getting good and shit is always going down. 

For my weapons I did:

Red9 w/stock - I fully maxed it out and bought the final upgrade with money

Riot Gun - I only maxed out the power with a few upgrades in reload speed and I used a ticket so I could get the bonus 1.5 times damage

Bolt Sniper - Fully maxed it out and bought the final upgrade with money

Broken Butterfly - Maxed out power and bought the final upgrade with a ticket

Killer7 - untouched

One of the flaws of the remake is having the villains feel so impersonal. This is more of what I meant when I said that if it wasn't for RE4, this remake wouldn't be as well-liked. The villains aren't even characters anymore. They are just bosses for you to fight as they try to stop you. I really dislike how they removed 90% of Leon's talks with the villains. Ada doesn't even seem like she belongs here anymore. Krauser too. I mean, I really feel like it isn't wrong to say that the RE4 remake lacks a story.

Even the bonds with Leon and Luis and Leon and Ashley feel lesser. Old Luis felt like your buddy right off the bat, and the new Luis really never becomes more than a helpful stranger. Maybe I am misremembering, but I feel like Leon and Ashley talked a lot more, and in the remake they hardly say like 20 sentences to each other, not including the random combat dialogues that happen sometimes.

If it wasn't for my memories of the OG RE4, I would have rated this game a lot lower.

I think the game is great but I can't tell if there were more enemies at once or the updates to the combat make it easier. Got to the castle and I stopped since that part is always a pain. Will go back to it after a bit more time with the Coh3 update.

17 hours ago, Bacon said:

One of the flaws of the remake is having the villains feel so impersonal. This is more of what I meant when I said that if it wasn't for RE4, this remake wouldn't be as well-liked. The villains aren't even characters anymore. They are just bosses for you to fight as they try to stop you. I really dislike how they removed 90% of Leon's talks with the villains. Ada doesn't even seem like she belongs here anymore. Krauser too. I mean, I really feel like it isn't wrong to say that the RE4 remake lacks a story.

Even the bonds with Leon and Luis and Leon and Ashley feel lesser. Old Luis felt like your buddy right off the bat, and the new Luis really never becomes more than a helpful stranger. Maybe I am misremembering, but I feel like Leon and Ashley talked a lot more, and in the remake they hardly say like 20 sentences to each other, not including the random combat dialogues that happen sometimes.

If it wasn't for my memories of the OG RE4, I would have rated this game a lot lower.

I’m not at Krauser (more like arouser) yet, but Ashley and Luis have more banter with Leon in this version than the original I think. If you backtrack and look for treasures Ashley will comment on them and ask if you’ll flip them when you pass the merchant. You can bring both of them to the shooting gallery and they’ll react to how you’re doing. Ashley specifically seems like her relationship with Leon is more than just being doe eyed.

And I dunno about Ada, she always felt like she came from another game, with her preposterous dress and matrix fight with Leon.

Salazar feels like less of a comic character for sure, I do miss his bizarre Napoleon vibes.

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm on chapter 15 and closing in on finishing this. It's a very good game but definitely not one of the best I've ever played. It's a solid 9/10 but it's not blowing me away or anything. It's just...very good. I'm having a good time.

Not getting you horny

These REmakes are one of my sole bright spots in modern gaming, and from my perspective RE4 is maybe the pinnacle.  The original RE4 was an unrepentant video game, made in the era just before the industry was dominated by western developers that sadly (to me) steered hard into a cinematic style that minimized the excess, breathless variety, and focus on gameplay that categorized the sixth generation.

I'm having an amazing time playing this, and it's so fun to discover how much is different or reinterpreted.  People here are really blitzing through it; I just got to chapter 7 after about nine or so hours, though a lot of that was spent dying in the past couple of chapters on Hardcore, which really ramped up around the:

Spoiler

Escape from the church up to the fight in the cabin with Luis.

The difficulty feels well tuned so far, but that fight was brutal.  It really did help the systems click for me though, and once I was fully in the zone with parrying, crowd control, and position management, the gameplay kicked into high gear.  This is different enough from the original that it feels distinctly its own thing, but I do feel that it retains that game's best aspects and refines them in clever ways. 

RE4 is lightning in a bottle and, like a handful of the most monumental games, it may never be replicated.  But the respect for its legacy is evident here, and I'm so thankful that we get to experience it again with fresh eyes.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

These REmakes are one of my sole bright spots in modern gaming, and from my perspective RE4 is maybe the pinnacle.  The original RE4 was an unrepentant video game, made in the era just before the industry was dominated by western developers that sadly (to me) steered hard into a cinematic style that minimized the excess, breathless variety, and focus on gameplay that categorized the sixth generation.

I'm having an amazing time playing this, and it's so fun to discover how much is different or reinterpreted.  People here are really blitzing through it; I just got to chapter 7 after about nine or so hours, though a lot of that was spent dying in the past couple of chapters on Hardcore, which really ramped up around the:

Reveal hidden contents

The difficulty feels well tuned so far, but that fight was brutal.  It really did help the systems click for me though, and once I was fully in the zone with parrying, crowd control, and position management, the gameplay kicked into high gear.  This is different enough from the original that it feels distinctly its own thing, but I do feel that it retains that game's best aspects and refines them in clever ways. 

RE4 is lightning in a bottle and, like a handful of the most monumental games, it may never be replicated.  But the respect for its legacy is evident here, and I'm so thankful that we get to experience it again with fresh eyes.

I think you are giving this game way too much credit. 

Alright, the fight in the castle

Spoiler

with the two blind claw dudes

is absolutely not fun. If there's one thing that has been consistently an issue its that every major fight seems to involve enemies frequently coming in from all directions. Its a terribly unfun mechanic, its a lazy way to make the game more difficult, its frustrating because the movement and controls do not line up handling threats on all sides. After a dozen or so tries when I finally cleared out all the regular dudes and could just take care of the main enemy, the game fucking crashed on me. So fucking pissed right now. It is generally a well-made game and the mechanics are good, but the way they tuned the combat encounters is shit and I will not accept any argument to the contrary.

• Sad 1