Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

like upskirt shots and a grown ass man seeing a college student and immediately commenting on her tits.

I know there are people clamoring for this, but it is annoying that when anyone talks about wanting the "soul" back or some such nonsense this is nearly the only thing that is brought up. Like, the re4 remake being soulless is justified by having that specific aspect removed. I'm not saying there aren't other things in that same category so no need to start listing all the non-PC things that were included back in 2005, but I just wish people would stop acting like that is a fair reason for the remake to be lesser than the original.

I'm not saying that's what yer doin' here, and I couldn't care less about the upskirt shot being removed. It is possibly the least interesting removal/change they could have made and people on both sides are caring way too much about something so insignificant. And as a reminder to anyone, I rated the remake a 10/10 or 9/10 depending on mood. Great game. The devs practically succeeded at letting you experience the same game for the first time twice. Maybe soulless is a bit harsh, but it does have less soul than the OG, imo.

Oh, and you stated that it is going just as hard to appeal to the fans, but they overall have a much larger and diverse selection of players to appeal to. The more players you have to make a game for the less you are able to appeal to specific portions of your player base. When you have to appeal to everyone, that's when you just buy 5 large cheese pizzas and hope the lack of pepperoni (which also has massive appeal) won't bother people too much. I know people who won't eat a pizza without pepperoni. I'm kinda like that but luckily the RE4 remake is a nice NY-style pizza and with or without pepperoni I'm eating that pizza.

Edit: I'm not saying the remake isn't without improvements either. The island is way better overall - miss the lasers tho. Ashley is way better than the previous incarnation. The JK fights are better but I do miss the QTE bit. I feel the bug enemies are more in place in the remake. The RS fight is better. Castle is a mixed bag but I don't miss the turret room. I think the new JJs are better and I like the hog mask enemies.

I’m nearing the end of my playthrough, and it’s been a fascinating experience. Basically all of the changes are good-to-neutral. I’ve played through the original multiple times, but my memory is garbage, so there’s some stuff especially later in the game where I don’t remember how it compares to the OG. The newest thing for me is the difficulty on hardcore (something I obviously didn’t have to do). It’s not that hard ultimately, but my memory of the original is that it’s a fairly breezy game. This time, I’m just barely getting through large encounters, usually after dying multiple times. Not a complaint, just an added dimension to the experience.

Resident Evil 4 remake is a slick remake. Calling that soulless is meaningless. It's a slick remake, without the weirdness and jank of the original game which a lot of the games of those eras had. I'm not even sure why a comparison is needed, the original is right there for those who care so much. For such people, what could the remake have done whilst not at the same time making it less slick? It's a silly criticism and gatekeeping the original by comparing it to a AAA remake is a waste of time.

It's a great remake that's a lot of fun to play, just like RE2R and RE3R were. We should embrace that and move on instead of "OMG they changed this or removed that or it doesn't have this vague, abstract feel when I play it like the original did in terms of controls or game design". Nothing can replicate that - the same useless criticisms plagued the Metroid Prime remaster, the Demon's Souls remake, and more. It's a great and fun game, derivative by nature due to being a remake. We should be thankful they didn't fuck up a remake of a stone cold classic and instead, did a great job, like with the recent Dead Space remake and Crisis Core semi-remake.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

what is meant by "soul" then?

"Do you vibe with this game's vibe?"

If yes, soul, if no, soulless.

For a remake, update the graphics while sticking as close to the original art style as possible if the original had a purposefully distinct art style.

Have the story remain unchanged including the tone in which it's presented and the characterization of the characters(unless the OG sucked, like Ashely then it's ok)

Do not change the game's atmosphere.

Only remove things I disliked and never remove or change things I liked.

Update the gameplay without changing the core of how it functions.

Soul is preference lol

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

For a remake, update the graphics while sticking as close to the original art style as possible if the original had a purposefully distinct art style.

Have the story remain unchanged including the tone in which it's presented and the characterization of the characters(unless the OG sucked, like Ashely then it's ok)

Do not change the game's atmosphere.

Only remove things I disliked and never remove or change things I liked.

Update the gameplay without changing the core of how it functions.

Soul is preference lol

If it's a preference then it's not really a useful criticism. Just sounds like a feeling then. I played the original RE4 and thought it was great and I'm playing RE4R and think it's great - I don't feel it is soulless at all. It's slick, for sure.

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

I've never liked "soul/soulless" as a descriptive term because it really is a nonsense phrase used to praise or decry something without having to actually understand or explain anything with any actual depth.

But in general, when I hear soulless, it has less to do with vibing with a game (I don't vibe with Halo very much, but I wouldn't call it soulless) and more to do with a game's art style not being interesting, the acting being flat, a lack of secrets, a clear lack of passion when it comes to attention to detail, low energy, super basic mechanics, that sort of thing.

And for me, using that metric, RE4 Remake meets every criteria of having the nebulous concept of "soul."

It's full of great attention to detail, the acting, while different from the original, is a refreshing take on these characters and is done with care (even little things like partner characters commenting during shooting galleries), new mechanics were added to balance out Leon's mobility and give you more options to avoid taking damage when swarmed (even if some people seem to think enemies respawn endlessly behind you and you're totally helpless when it comes to crowds) -- enemies are given more detailed backstories that make them seem like actual people while still being cheeseball idiots, expectations are occasionally played with and subverted, or expected moments are delayed for a surprise reveal later on.

Even if you absolutely despise the game, "soulless" just comes across like a lazy nothing statement, at least to me.

• Halal 1

To me most remakes are soulless because the original was created with a vision and a purpose while the remake was made to take the same thing and pretty it up. It's like if you had a girlfriend from long ago but years later someone who looks like her but maybe has bigger boobs comes along and she sort of acts like her but as time goes on you're just reminded of how much you liked your original girlfriend. Remakes come along and yeah they look better but they almost always change something you liked from the original game. Heck I was a big hater of the RE1 remake for game cube because  it stripped so much from the DC away. No more FMVs, bad voice acting and no more "itchy tasty"

I think the most important thing is to judge the remake as a separate thing and the "soul" of the remake was how much care was put into all the aspects of the game. Don't think of it as a replacement. Treat the remake as a new thing and if anything an incentive to go back and play the original.

I really shouldn't have said the remake was soulless because that isn't true. I do think it has less soul than the og, but saying soulless is a bit too far. Honestly, I'm just upset they removed all the banter on the comms and specifically the line from Luis "a little rough don't you think". Also, that the villains are cliff notes of the original. It's like someone said "Saddler is a tentacle bug cult leader" and ignored the fact that he came across as a massive con man selling snake oil. I hate that Saddler and Salazar aren't jokes. Salazar still has a lot of his OG qualities for sure and he is a better boss, but he isn't as petulant as before.

And I despise the shit logic of "just play the original". I want the updated graphics and quality of life changes. I don't want to play battles at 15-24 fps. I don't want the game to look like it came out in 1998 anymore. I want the spelling mistakes and mistranslations to be fixed. It is rough playing the PS1 Era FFs even with mods. I love how FF9 looks with mods but there ain't no fixing the battle FPS. They tried in both FF7 and FF9 but boy is it not good. I think the pixel remasters are pretty genius. Not perfect, but the mods for those pretty much make them the best way to play them for the first time.

IMO, a remake should be aiming to 100% replace the original. A remake should make the OG obsolete. No one should want to go back to the OG because the Remake wasn't satisfactory. Despite my opinions of the DeS remake, it is possibly the only remake that has made the OG obsolete. Now, before you go saying I just want a remaster, at this point, remake and remaster almost mean the same thing. While DeS is considered a remake, it is more of a remaster in my eyes. What Blue Point did with DeS is almost exactly what I want from remakes just without their awful artistic interpretations. They'd prolly make Anor Londo into ruins if they got to remake Dark Souls. So, yeah, I do want something more along the lines of a remaster, but a remaster extensive that it gets labeled a remake like DeS.

I think Capcom gets pretty close to perfect but they are always cutting out the fat when the fat is the best part! All things considered, the RE4 remake is darn good like I have stated previously. I just wish the ridiculous trash talk was still in.

Writhe in my cage of torment my friend.

If we’re gonna play that game, a game I find to be “soulless” in the way you’re describing is the SOTC remake. But I think sterile is a more appropriate word. Like it’s a totally good remake of the game and it looks pretty good, it obv performs way better, but it somehow makes it worse. 

• Halal 1

• 4 months later...

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Ada Wong stars in new story expansion, with new characters for Mercenaries mode out same day.

Hello, PlayStation! I’m Edvin Edsö, the Promotion Producer of Resident Evil 4. In today’s State of Play, we released the latest gameplay trailer for Resident Evil 4 VR Mode, as well as the long-awaited additional story DLC, Separate Ways. Check out the latest trailer to see what to expect and be sure to watch through to the end!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: Separate Ways DLC to release on September 21 ($10) and PS VR2 RE4 VR Mode to release "this winter" (free)