Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

3 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

It seems very inconsistent. I know I've seen it work crafting ammo, but not all the time. And I tried this morning to equip +20% weapon resale and the listed price did not change whether it was equipped or not. And even when I sold a weapon with it equipped it did not sell for higher than the listed price. 

The attaché case charms seem to work, just the attaché case perk itself has been weird for me. I saw the first case icon that Bacon referenced about halfway through the island.

Resi-Review-Site.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Alex Battaglia grapples with the retail launch of Resident Evil 4 on PC - does the full version fix the issues we spotted in the demo?

Now let's get into the optimised settings proper. First: turn off RT. RE Engine games tend to disappoint in terms of ray tracing quality, as they seem to target console-equivalent settings, so by turning them off we both avoid low-quality RT artefacts and gain in performance. Secondly, turn off screen-space reflections. It's a similar story here: quality is often distractingly bad with aliasing and flicker, yet they're expensive, so disabling them makes a lot of sense.

Next we'll discover which texture quality setting to use. This was harder to investigate than you might expect, as this setting seems dependent on your output resolution; the higher your resolution, the better quality textures you will get at a given setting. For our purposes though, I recommend leaving the texture setting at 8GB, as this won't crash the game on even 8GB GPUs as long as RT is disabled. If you are using RT, then I'd recommend setting this to 2GB for a GPU with 8GB of VRAM or less; for 10GB GPUs 3GB is recommended with RT enabled.

The remaining optimised settings are less critical, but can still claw back a good amount of performance. Reducing volumetric lighting quality to high saves around eight percent performance and looks pretty much identical to the highest setting. The shadow cache setting can also be turned on to improve performance by just under 10 percent in indoor scenes. Shadow quality should also be set to high rather than max, which reduces the amount of used VRAM and therefore allows for higher quality textures. For ambient occlusion try AMD's CACAO option, which provides more subtle indirect shadow coverage and looks better than SSAO for a relatively small extra performance cost. And finally, turn off the hair strand option, as this costs a fair amount of performance and probably isn't worth the visual upgrade on mid-range GPUs.

image.png

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry technical analysis of PC version, including Alex's optimized settings
14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In addition to this it says you can up the texture quality to match your card. I upped mine to 8 and had no issues despite going in the red. But you can go higher if you have a 10 gb card, etc.

When the game launched I had a 10GB 3080 and putting things in the orange would lead to hard crashes after 5-10 minutes every time. Rather than lower the settings I just bought a 4080 instead and that has been good.

• True 1

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

When the game launched I had a 10GB 3080 and putting things in the orange would lead to hard crashes after 5-10 minutes every time. Rather than lower the settings I just bought a 4080 instead and that has been good.

Yeah you'll get crashes with RT. I'm just saying further clarifying what the video said, and he also said he got crashes with RT on with a more powerful card.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah you'll get crashes with RT. I'm just saying further clarifying what the video said, and he also said he got crashes with RT on with a more powerful card.

Yeah, I did have RT on with the 3080 crashes. I did have one crash with the 4080, but that's in about 20 hours of playtime.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh man Chapter 11 is going to be so cool on the VR version. Actually since Supermasive doesn’t seem to be working out for them how about give Capcom some money to make a full psvr2 rail shooter with that general idea.

The Wii ‘light gun’ games were brilliant and this would be a great iteration on that. 

• Thanks 1

I’m almost done with it. I’ve definitely enjoyed it and will probably go through it again. But I really dislike Leon’s movement. He moves like an arthritic 85 yr old with bad knees. I did play the first one but man, I don’t remember the movement being this lethargic. I’ve gotten slaughtered so many times because dude just wouldn’t get up and go! Guess I shouldn’t have gone from Wo Long straight to this game. lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nublood said:

I’m almost done with it. I’ve definitely enjoyed it and will probably go through it again. But I really dislike Leon’s movement. He moves like an arthritic 85 yr old with bad knees. I did play the first one but man, I don’t remember the movement being this lethargic. I’ve gotten slaughtered so many times because dude just wouldn’t get up and go! Guess I shouldn’t have gone from Wo Long straight to this game. lol

RE5 was the same way. Sloppy and choppy character movement added artificial difficulty. I guess it's Capcoms way of making it more... scary? Idk. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think Leon feels amazing to play as tbh. This game is giving me serious “just one more typewriter”itus, such an addictive game loop.

I love that all you have to to is tap the R1 button to sprint and then you can let it go and Leon will still run. I thought it controlled very well. 

1 hour ago, nublood said:

Despite my gripes, I find 80-90% of the game is good-to-great. But yeah, the parts of the game that demand more mobility than Leon allows for are just a major black mark. I only ever played the original when it launched on the Gamecube, but it never felt like you would get surrounded and swarmed like the remake. It doesn't help that when you're swarmed or backed into a corner the camera gets all fucked up.

41 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I honestly wonder how much of the split of “Leon controls like shit” vs not just has to do with kb / m players and controller players. Cuz I felt it was very sluggish on the game pad but awesome with the mouse. 

I'm playing on KB/M.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I think Leon feels amazing to play as tbh. This game is giving me serious “just one more typewriter”itus, such an addictive game loop.

I’ve really got no complaints for the most part. But some of the later bosses feel like they belong in a Soulslike game with how they move in comparison to you. I was definitely able to manage. But like I said, a lot of my deaths felt like the game couldn’t get out of it’s own way. There were times I felt like I was getting pummeled while I was stuck in animation waiting for the run mechanic to kick in. Or getting knocked down and getting hacked to bits while trying to get back up. I was like duuuude! Moooooove your butt!

For me, it is just general movement. Never really had a death caused by clunky movement, but at times it feels like you're trudging through mud, especially with Ashley. I'm a pretty visual gamer and even the visuals of the animations can cause the game to feel different. I think that's why some people don't feel the difference in something like Dark Souls 2 because the visuals of the animations don't bother them.

2 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Despite my gripes, I find 80-90% of the game is good-to-great. But yeah, the parts of the game that demand more mobility than Leon allows for are just a major black mark. I only ever played the original when it launched on the Gamecube, but it never felt like you would get surrounded and swarmed like the remake. It doesn't help that when you're swarmed or backed into a corner the camera gets all fucked up.

I'm playing on KB/M.

I beat the OG like a month ago. The swarming is very similar if not worse in the original, at least on normal difficulty. 

I think Leon in this controls well and controls as responsively as the game demands. He's always kinda cornered like a 1987 Chevy Cavalier and it's not much different here, though it's for sure not identical. I do think that getting swarmed is harder to get out of in this one than the original, but I don't mind that.

There are a couple rooms where if you get cornered, the camera just fails and it's hard to know where you are in relation to the walls / enemies but that happened to me less often than the recent Gods of War.

I dunno. I think any meaningful changes to Leon's mobility would make the game feel wildly different than it does, which is already a little different from the original.

I will say that there are some encounters that puke more enemies than I expected mid-fight, and when that happens while there are still enemies around so the music doesn't change... the audio cues for them dropping in can be easily missed if you're not near then when they show up. I definitely got smacked to shot from behind by enemies that I had no idea were there. It's not as bad as I was experiencing with the Dead Space remake AND it happens less often. Just a couple rooms really, but I'm not looking forward to them in my Pro runs.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, stepee said:

Oh also this game has fucking rad fire 

Man I'm a bit behind everyone here as it takes me at least 2 weeks to finish a 12 hour game, but "Rad fire" yes and then some. I'm playing this on a Series X on an LGC1 83" Oled and the Fire both regular and the Merchant \'s blue flames are fantastic looking. I really can't fathom all the Washed out talk on Series X, it's a FANTASTIC looking game and then some. I just made it to the Ashley section where Leon is locked in the cage, but the events before had me in photo mode quite a few times. The Chandeliers in HRD are mind boggling fantastic looking 

!! Loving the Hour or two every other night I'm playing this game.

I played the game on PC the latest remake before this one to get a feel for the game and so I could compare the differences to them when playing this version! They really are two different games. So much as been changed, and I'm really loving it alot. I have to say, starting out on hard I Die a lot, I mean more than I like to admit. Especially when reading about how you all feel the game is chalked full of ammo and healing items...lol I'm just not as good I guess. I should be finished by the end of next week, this game is a fantastic remake along with RE1 and 2's remakes. Re3 not so much but I do own it and I like knowing I have them all now.

This is the only Remake I have on console as I bought them all on PC except for tis one. Not a bad thing in the slightest, my 2080Ti is aging a bit though much better than I originally feared, but this in a show piece on Series X and I'm blown away by the quality of these string of remakes, that is except for Re3 that is...lol

man THAT is how you end a video game. What a fanfuckingtastic game. It kinda actually met the impossible hype after all these years. Though that is by it being a great Remake as well and showing no age with this version in 2023. A master class on pacing, no sections like the sewer in RE2 thsr drag. But still fitting in some of that RE2 along with all the action. 

Village really is a lot like this and I loved that too, though this is even better. But that mix of castle/mansion/whatever interior exploring with balls out action and impressive set pieces and huge bosses, just perfect RE for me.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

47 minutes ago, stepee said:

man THAT is how you end a video game. What a fanfuckingtastic game. It kinda actually met the impossible hype after all these years. Though that is by it being a great Remake as well and showing no age with this version in 2023. A master class on pacing, no sections like the sewer in RE2 thsr drag. But still fitting in some of that RE2 along with all the action. 

Village really is a lot like this and I loved that too, though this is even better. But that mix of castle/mansion/whatever interior exploring with balls out action and impressive set pieces and huge bosses, just perfect RE for me.

Glad you really enjoyed it. I felt as though it was a 9/10 but just barely. It didn't ever blow me away or have me say "wow" and it was just a fun lineral romp. I enjoyed it but I find that I will completely forget about this in a few months.