Resident Evil 4 Remake - Information Thread, update: 6.48 million units sold (fastest-selling game in series history)

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Alright, the fight in the castle

Hide contents

with the two blind claw dudes

is absolutely not fun. If there's one thing that has been consistently an issue its that every major fight seems to involve enemies frequently coming in from all directions. Its a terribly unfun mechanic, its a lazy way to make the game more difficult, its frustrating because the movement and controls do not line up handling threats on all sides. After a dozen or so tries when I finally cleared out all the regular dudes and could just take care of the main enemy, the game fucking crashed on me. So fucking pissed right now. It is generally a well-made game and the mechanics are good, but the way they tuned the combat encounters is shit and I will not accept any argument to the contrary.

That sounds really frustrating. I didn't struggle at that section but I'm playing on normal. 

3 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Reveal hidden contents

is absolutely not fun. If there's one thing that has been consistently an issue its that every major fight seems to involve enemies frequently coming in from all directions. Its a terribly unfun mechanic, its a lazy way to make the game more difficult, its frustrating because the movement and controls do not line up handling threats on all sides. After a dozen or so tries when I finally cleared out all the regular dudes and could just take care of the main enemy, the game fucking crashed on me. So fucking pissed right now. It is generally a well-made game and the mechanics are good, but the way they tuned the combat encounters is shit and I will not accept any argument to the contrary.

Eh, hard disagree. I think that's the beauty of the combat. They do give you tools to deal with enemies from multiple directions, and frankly a variety of them. From melee attacks that have AOE, to weapons with explosives, grenades, flashes, what have you, that's actually where the game sings IMO. 

AOE doesn't really mean shit when enemies are on all sides of you. Unless you can run around and bunch them up in a group, but the controls are not conducive to a run around since Leon never moves like he's in a hurry. Not to mention the majority of fights take place in tight spaces with a lot of tables and bullshit in the way.

Also, in that castle fight, I can't count how many times I got around behind one of the big dudes and hit the button to back stab them only for Leon to lazily just swipe with his knife while the big dude takes a swing. The inconsistencies in when backstabs are available is frustrating.

28 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

AOE doesn't really mean shit when enemies are on all sides of you. Unless you can run around and bunch them up in a group, but the controls are not conducive to a run around since Leon never moves like he's in a hurry. Not to mention the majority of fights take place in tight spaces with a lot of tables and bullshit in the way.

Also, in that castle fight, I can't count how many times I got around behind one of the big dudes and hit the button to back stab them only for Leon to lazily just swipe with his knife while the big dude takes a swing. The inconsistencies in when backstabs are available is frustrating.

Since you're effectively invincible during the AOE attack I think it does mean shit. And again that's not your only option. I can't speak to the fight on the highest difficulty, but I guess if you're that frustrated why not turn it down one notch and see if you're enjoying it more? I think the game give you the tools to manage what it throws at you, and allows you to feel really good while you do it. 

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

If you backtrack and look for treasures Ashley will comment on them and ask if you’ll flip them when you pass the merchant. You can bring both of them to the shooting gallery and they’ll react to how you’re doing.

Yeah, but that's just more stuff said at Leon. Leon pretty much never responds to that stuff unless it is the combat dialogue. And that isn't really building their relationship. I couldn't care less that Ashley isn't falling for her rescuer tho. I know there are people who do, but /shrugs. I could be misremembering as I haven't played RE4 since the Wii version, but I feel like they just had a stronger bond.

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

And I dunno about Ada, she always felt like she came from another game, with her preposterous dress and matrix fight with Leon.

Salazar feels like less of a comic character for sure, I do miss his bizarre Napoleon vibes.

So, while it's not really spoilers what I am about to say it kinda is maybe so I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case and you can read it later if you wish.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Ada has no interactions with Saddler, outside of a Leon rescue, or Krauser. Krauser doesn't even mention the bitch in the red dress sweater. Krauser isn't even working for Umbrella. He is just straight up working for Saddler cuz "muh gubberment betrayed me so get bugged lol :devil:". Until the end of the game, the only person Ada interacts with aside from Leon is Luis that one time. Krauser and Saddler don't even know who Ada is.

And I don't care that Salazar isn't goofy, but that Leon and the bosses don't interact. I get the MGS codec system isn't the best method, but with its removal, Salazar only talks at Leon through speakers. Leon can't even banter back. Same with Saddler. Until like chapter 13, you never see Saddler in the flesh and there is no banter there at all. Just a religious nutjob mad that Leon isn't accepting his buggy gift.

The villains are never built up. It is just as simple as "they are the bad guys - kill them." Like, you didn't just have to kill those bosses in those bosses, you wanted to.

I just don't agree that the villains aren't built up. It's not done on the codec like the original and the vibes are different, but it absolutely happens. Salazar and Leon have way more to say to one another during their fight than they did in the original, and they're telling a different story in this one so Ada having different connects makes sense?

I dunno what to say, it's a different game. It's doing a much better job of walking a modern version of the original's cheese than I thought it would. 

I just got to the Island so I don't have much to say about Saddler yet, but I always thought he was the weakest link in the original and kind of a wet fart of a villain. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

Beat it. 21 hours on my save file. B rank. 

Honestly, I have no complaints. I loved the original and this just gave it a near perfect update for modern times. 10/10

In the last boss, though, it fucked up and did that endless falling through a blank screen, though. That was weird. Only real screw up I had, though. 

Played the last two chapters tonight on the 65” OLED with the new 7900XTX. Completely maxed out, including RT and I was typically getting well over 100FPS. That’s also on a Ryzen 5 CPU(upgrading the rest soon). 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Beat it. 21 hours on my save file. B rank. 

Honestly, I have no complaints. I loved the original and this just gave it a near perfect update for modern times. 10/10

In the last boss, though, it fucked up and did that endless falling through a blank screen, though. That was weird. Only real screw up I had, though.

I'm not surprised. Ashley glitched out in the locker in the cabin area and I had to reload my save. Overall, it's pretty polished though.

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm not surprised. Ashley glitched out in the locker in the cabin area and I had to reload my save. Overall, it's pretty polished though.

Early on after you get her from the church and return to the first area she got killed by the cow somehow. The cow doesn't move in this part it just chills out but somehow she got killed by it. :silly:

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Early on after you get her from the church and return to the first area she got killed by the cow somehow. The cow doesn't move in this part it just chills out but somehow she got killed by it. :silly:

Maybe she was cow tipping. RIP.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, considering I played on Hardcore (and now Professional) and had none of these issues, perhaps instead of trying to hardline your stance you could maybe try to figure out why you're having so much trouble?

This shit reads like you're talking about a completely different game than I played. I get that it was your experience and it sucked, but perhaps you're... doing something wrong?

• Halal 1

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Do the attache case perks... work? I have the ones from the deluxe edition and I feel like when I have the one that boosts gunpowder drops, the game barfs money at me instead.

The RNG in this game sucks. The case perks work, but I have only seen the money one work which gives you even more money in a game that is constantly throwing money at you. You can tell it works when you pick up an item and it has the attache case icon beside it. If I'm correct, the cases don't actually increase the drop rate. It instead presents you with a chance that a regular gunpowder drop has a chance to proc at an increased amount. So, you first have to "roll" a gunpowder drop and then you have to hope it procs the bonus as well.

That is exactly how it works for the gold case. If there was a barrel that dropped three money chests each of those money chests would have a chance at rolling for the bonus amount. In the final chapters every time my perk proc'd I would get 2500 money instead of the 300-1000 regular drop range. It never spawned extra loot, but increased the amount of loot that already dropped.

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The RNG in this game sucks. The case perks work, but I have only seen the money one work which gives you even more money in a game that is constantly throwing money at you. You can tell it works when you pick up an item and it has the attache case icon beside it. If I'm correct, the cases don't actually increase the drop rate. It instead presents you with a chance that a regular gunpowder drop has a chance to proc at an increased amount. So, you first have to "roll" a gunpowder drop and then you have to hope it procs the bonus as well.

That is exactly how it works for the gold case. If there was a barrel that dropped three money chests each of those money chests would have a chance at rolling for the bonus amount. In the final chapters every time my perk proc'd I would get 2500 money instead of the 300-1000 regular drop range. It never spawned extra loot, but increased the amount of loot that already dropped.

I don’t think I have ever seen the attaché case icon beside a drop at any point.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Also, I do agree that the character movement has issues due to "muh realism" but I never had an issue getting surrounded. It has happened, but a shotgun blast or a grenade of some kind fixes that.

I think the movement is tremendously better than the original, which used tank controls with an over-the-shoulder perspective, so good luck strafing. Here you can not only move freely in all directions, you can do sharp direction changes that are super useful for dodging attacks, the sharper your direction change, the better it seems to help dodge attacks. I never had any "muh realism" issues at all, Leon moves real nice!

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Also PC version is now the definitive version, moreso than ever before:

218-1680053877-1792573296.png
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Mutes Ashley's breathing sounds while running.

I read your post about this the other day and while playing yesterday I finally realized how fuckin annoying her breathing is. That's nice to mute that shit on pc. Sounds like she is having a non-stop orgasm through my playthroughs. 

18 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think the movement is tremendously better than the original, which used tank controls with an over-the-shoulder perspective, so good luck strafing. Here you can not only move freely in all directions, you can do sharp direction changes that are super useful for dodging attacks, the sharper your direction change, the better it seems to help dodge attacks. I never had any "muh realism" issues at all, Leon moves real nice!

I mean, sure it's better, I didn't say OG RE4 had great movement, but it controls as badly as RDR2. Maybe you like RDR2's movement, but I sure don't.

At least it doesn't have Leon bending over and patting corpses down each time you loot.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, sure it's better, I didn't say OG RE4 had great movement, but it controls as badly as RDR2. Maybe you like RDR2's movement, but I sure don't.

At least it doesn't have Leon bending over and patting corpses down each time you loot.

American Housewife Slap GIF by ABC Network

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Okay you gotta be smoking crack or something. Leon responds about a thousand times better and faster than anything in RDR2.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

If anything it's to the game detriment. They added better movement options, parrying, and stealth kills with the game being a remake. Kinda like the conplaint about Twin Snakes it's too easy if you have MGS2 features because the levels weren't designed with that in mind.

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

If anything it's to the game detriment. They added better movement options, parrying, and stealth kills with the game being a remake. Kinda like the conplaint about Twin Snakes it's too easy if you have MGS2 features because the levels weren't designed with that in mind.

Well this game was built with these things in mind, that's why the enemies are more aggressive and they don't just start walking real slow when they get near you like the original! It was rebalanced from the ground up.

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Well this game was built with these things in mind, that's why the enemies are more aggressive and they don't just start walking real slow when they get near you like the original! It was rebalanced from the ground up.

Lol guess I picked the wrong difficulty then. 

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No RE game has controlled as badly as RDR2 including the OG tank ones. 

Oh, I read it as you were defending RDR2, not defending RE4R.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Okay you gotta be smoking crack or something. Leon responds about a thousand times better and faster than anything in RDR2.

Nah. One of the first comments I made about the demo was that it controls like RDR2

On 3/10/2023 at 4:23 AM, Bacon said:

Also, how do you feel about the animation delay? You can't popshot anymore. It almost feel like you have to "charge up" before you can shoot now. Not a fan of that. There are many time where I have shot, backed up, and then couldn't get my gun up fast enough to shoot again. Feels sluggish. Shooting in general feel pretty slow. I reminds of RDR2 in a way with how animation kinda got in the way of gameplay. I wasn't a fan of that in RDR2.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well, considering I played on Hardcore (and now Professional) and had none of these issues, perhaps instead of trying to hardline your stance you could maybe try to figure out why you're having so much trouble?

This shit reads like you're talking about a completely different game than I played. I get that it was your experience and it sucked, but perhaps you're... doing something wrong?

You cannot argue that the game doesn't like to frequently spawn from all sides. That is a statement of fact. And you cannot make the argument that you are particularly mobile in this game. Maybe more mobile than OG RE4, but there is a noticable delay and momentum to all of Leon's moves.

I will also say further, and i don't know if I need to change my audio settings, but positional audio in this game is bad. Good positional audio using headphones was a problem solved decades ago.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Do the attache case perks... work? I have the ones from the deluxe edition and I feel like when I have the one that boosts gunpowder drops, the game barfs money at me instead.

It seems very inconsistent. I know I've seen it work crafting ammo, but not all the time. And I tried this morning to equip +20% weapon resale and the listed price did not change whether it was equipped or not. And even when I sold a weapon with it equipped it did not sell for higher than the listed price.