Buffalo white supremacist terrorist attack update: authorities investigating whether a retired federal agent had advance knowledge of plan

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
220517233656-buffalo-shooting-scene-swat
WWW.CNN.COM

Thirty minutes before an 18-year-old White man allegedly carried out a racist mass shooting Saturday at a supermarket in a mostly Black enclave of Buffalo, New York, he revealed his monthslong plot to some on social media.

He invited people to a private Discord server and showed his detailed plans to them. NOT ONE of them alerted Law Enforcement. This could have been prevented :|

Arrest them all as accomplices to murder.

• True 2

8XXhFXwwV9UkcTuK9xWyST-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

"Time and time again, we have seen the real-world devastation that is borne of these dangerous and hateful platforms."

New York attorney general Letitia James has announced her office is launching investigations into various online platforms and social media companies, following the May 14 terror attack in Buffalo that claimed 10 lives and wounded three people. The suspect, a heavily-armed white supremacist, livestreamed the murders on Twitch and partly planned the attack on a private Discord server.

During the attack, Twitch became aware of the livestream and removed it within two minutes of it going live. "The user has been indefinitely suspended from our service, and we are taking all appropriate action, including monitoring for any accounts rebroadcasting this content," Twitch said at the time. Discord said it is cooperating with law enforcement investigating the shooter's use of the platform, but would not comment further.

Shortly after the attack, New York governor Kathy Hochul demanded that social media platforms do more to prevent these streams from being shared. "There's a feeding frenzy on social media platforms where hate festers more hate, that has to stop," Hochul said during a briefing. "These outlets must be more vigilant in monitoring social media content. And certainly the fact that this act of barbarism, this execution of innocent human beings, could be live streamed on social media platforms and not taken down within a second, says to me that there is a responsibility out there.

"We're going to continue to work on this and make sure that those who provide these platforms have a moral and ethical, and I hope to have a legal responsibility to ensure that such hate cannot populate these sites, because this is the result."

The NY attorney general's investigations will "look into the social media companies and other online resources that the shooter used to discuss and amplify his intentions and acts to carry out this attack." The investigations will focus on platforms used to stream, promote or plan the event, and include but are not limited to: Twitch, 4chan, 8chan, and Discord.

• Halal 1

"We're going to continue to work on this and make sure that those who provide these platforms have a moral and ethical, and I hope to have a legal responsibility to ensure that such hate cannot populate these sites, because this is the result."

Womp, Womp, womp... 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, on the one hand, yes, these platforms need 100x more regulation. On the other...if you let people stream things live, there is no way to stop bad things from being streamed live. And 2 minutes to shut a stream down is pretty fast.

yeah 2 minutes seems pretty fast 

4 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Wouldn’t a dispatcher be trained to immediately pay attention to someone WHISPERING? How fucking dumb can you be?

Yes, training includes these type of scenarios. Information and caller safety run neck and neck on priorities. Sadly, there hang-ups happen more often than one would like to think in emergency situations.  

Also, if doesn't matter if you already had calls about the situation. More often than not, those other calls coming in will help paint a more complete picture to pass along to services. 

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Wouldn’t a dispatcher be trained to immediately pay attention to someone WHISPERING? How fucking dumb can you be?

One of my brothers in law is a 911 dispatcher up here in Mass. Part of their training includes listening to examples of calls gone wrong, including things like hang ups. If the audio for this gets released, it’s likely it would make the cut.

Additionally, the system they use allows the dispatchers to see what numbers on a keypad are being pressed, so if someone’s in a position where they can hear a dispatcher but not speak back to them, they can be instructed to press 4 for yes, 5 for no, that kind of thing. I have no idea how common that kind of system is, but they’re specifically trained and drilled on handling silent calls. You can also text 911.

It is a state by state adoption thing as far as I know. We use to have the text 911 feature but it ended up being an expanse that nobody used, if I remember correct. Sadly there isn't a uniform 911 standard in the country outside of calling 911. 

Hell, even in my state there isn't a uniformed standard. As some counties have programs that others don't. 

• True 1

payton-gendron-tops-shooting.jpg?quality
NYPOST.COM

Rose Wysocki, 56, claims the accused teen gunman called her a "n---r lover" during one of his reconnaissance trips to plan the attack.

I had read about these recon trips occurring, but like, literally the guy was talking to managers and dropping absolutely horrific garbage in the weeks/months prior.

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Do we have a megathread for large scale mass shootings?

uvalde-shooting_hpMain_20220524-154155_1
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The district advised people to stay away from Robb Elementary School following an active shooter incident.

It's the "Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy" thread.

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

Well I mean yeah you pretty much have it figured out except that we need to take a huge look at mental illness in this country, guns aren't the issue if they were banned they would use knives or what have you. I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd ammendment but I don't belive guns are the problem, people are. I carry a gun everyday, I don't just go killing people, I carry one for self defense I live in Philadelphia, it's terrible here. But guns will be blamed again when they shouldn't be. 

HUURRRRRRRRRR HURRR HURRR HURRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Haha 2
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Well I mean yeah you pretty much have it figured out except that we need to take a huge look at mental illness in this country, guns aren't the issue if they were banned they would use knives or what have you.

It's easier to stop or fight back against a person with a knife than it is a person with a gun.

3 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Well I mean yeah you pretty much have it figured out except that we need to take a huge look at mental illness in this country, guns aren't the issue if they were banned they would use knives or what have you. I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd ammendment but I don't belive guns are the problem, people are. I carry a gun everyday, I don't just go killing people, I carry one for self defense I live in Philadelphia, it's terrible here. But guns will be blamed again when they shouldn't be. 

Fuck off, you pathetic twat. Go shove your gun up your ass, you fucking fetishist. 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

:duckhuntdog:

Just now, BlueAngel said:

The weapons of choice here are irrelevant, if someone has an intent to kill they will find a way. I wholeheartedly agree people with mental issues should not have a gun, but taking guns away from law-abiding citizens is the wrong way to go about it. 

default_duck_hunt_dog.gif

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

The weapons of choice here are irrelevant, if someone has an intent to kill they will find a way. I wholeheartedly agree people with mental issues should not have a gun, but taking guns away from law-abiding citizens is the wrong way to go about it. 

Do you think the guy with the knife kills 10 people in 3 minutes time?

3 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Obviously no one here has purchased a firearm, if you did you would know the bs you have to go through to buy one, which just to piss you off is bs it's unconstitutional. 

I have. I went in paid cash and walked out with it. It’s so easy it’s really disgusting tbh.