Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, this is a very strange issue to use as an alleged distraction from the gerrymandering. Context:

1) Gerrymandering is getting plenty of coverage in Florida.

2) News coverage isn't going to stop people from taking it to court. 

3) This also plays into Floridians' property insurance skyrocketing on levels not seen anywhere else in the country.

Average home insurance increase nationwide: 4-5%

Average home insurance increase in Florida: 25% and counting

Insurance companies in Florida are being liquidated. They're dropping customers. They're raising their rates by hundreds and in some cases more than $1000. Property insurance going up in Florida also leads to rent going up. And not only are Democrats leaning into affordable housing and Florida's home insurance crisis, but this is being tied to it:

He was also dragged kicking and streaming to call a special session to address property insurance in the state after bills failed in the Florida legislature. That has led to coverage about his contributions from realtors:

not-real-news-68405.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

A spike in industry political donations comes amid the state's affordable housing crisis.

And the idea that he's been too concentrated on culture issues and not on issues that affect all residents.

This is the weirdest form of political theater if it's to distract people from the "real issues" since property insurance skyrocketing is a huge motherfucking issue in the state.

What’s going on with the insurance companies?

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What’s going on with the insurance companies?

Despite the lack of a hurricane landfall since 2018, they've been dying financially because of a Florida Supreme Court decision in 2016 (look up Sebos). That opened the door for fraudulent roofers who would go door-to-door after storm damage, offer a free assessment, and then insurers deny payment on these fraudulent claims. The roofers hire attorneys to sue these insurers, which leads to tons of money spent in litigation.

This is a Florida-specific problem that has gotten awful the past few years, and many of us have seen our home insurance this year go up for $1000 at least, with some people's doubling.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fx-default-stgec.uplyn
WWW.WPTV.COM

Florida homeowners are still getting sticker shock from their property insurance premiums in 2022.

Insurance companies had $1.6 billion in underwriting losses last year despite no hurricane making landfall in the state. By all accounts, they should be in a healthy position right now.

Now of course supply chain issues are a problem, but that affects everybody. There were, IIRC, 116,000 lawsuits filed against insurance companies in the past year in Florida.

From an expert I interviewed, the second highest in another state was 900.

And in Florida, we got STOP WOKE, "Don't Say Gay" (Parental Rights in Education is the name the legislature gave it), but property insurance failed this past session. And it looked like there may not be one this whole year. After weeks of reporting by many local news outlets, DeSantis finally called a special session.

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I find it hilarious that the likely end result of all this is likely that Disney will pay less in taxes and that taxpayers in a couple Florida counties will pay more. Talk about leaping without looking.

It’s like DeSantis somehow got himself stuck on “It’s a Small World” ride that isn’t moving anywhere, but they’re still singing and smiling at him.

• Haha 1

Scott, who is married to a man, said the kids at Trafalgar Middle School then created flags representing their own sexuality and gender identities ranging from transgender and non-binary to gay.

The first-year teacher posted their creations to her classroom door before administrators told her to take them down.

“They said it would be in the best interest if I got rid of them now,” she told NBC.

Scott said she crumpled up the pictures and put them in the trash.

Lee School District officials said some students understood her explanation of her sexuality while others were left confused, the local NBC affiliate reported.

The subject matter angered some parents and students who wrote to administrators to voice their displeasure, officials said.

I would like to see in the curriculum where teachers are supposed to discuss their sexuality with their middle school students, encourage classroom discussion for each of the student's sexualities/gender identities, set an assignment for each student to create a flag that represents their sexuality/gender identity, and then hang those flags on the door of the classroom.

• Guillotine 3

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would like to see in the curriculum where teachers are supposed to discuss their sexuality with their middle school students, encourage classroom discussion for each of the student's sexualities/gender identities, set an assignment for each student to create a flag that represents their sexuality/gender identity, and then hang those flags on the door of the classroom.

Is it really that unusual for teachers in your area to have family pictures at their desks? That or discuss their vacations while trying to engage kids to talk about their own vacations? That's all wildly benign shit. I remember talking about going to Cape Cod over summer vacation with my teacher mentioning him bringing his wife and kids down to Florida back in like fifth grade. That was what, 10 years old back in '92? I only remember that because we were all jealous of them going to Disney World. That felt like such an impossible destination for our poor asses.

28 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I seriously doubt it happened like that when dealing with kids. They probably asked her if she had any boyfriends, and she probably said no, like most people would, and then they started to ask more and more leading questions nonstop because that's exactly what kids do. All attempts at any actual education would probably be completely out the window as the kids would continue to hound her over and over for more details. All attempts to shut them up would be ignored, and they would continue to ask her over and over until she probably, out of frustration, just said "I'm attracted to everyone. Now, please, for the sake of god, go back to the lesson." I've actually observed exactly this type of exchange numerous times in a female instructor's class. Strangely enough, this rarely happens in a guy's class. The kids don't really care about the social lives of male teachers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I seriously doubt it happened like that when dealing with kids. They probably asked her if she had any boyfriends, and she probably said no, like most people would, and then they started to ask more and more leading questions nonstop because that's exactly what kids do. All attempts at any actual education would probably be completely out the window as the kids would continue to hound her over and over for more details. All attempts to shut them up would be ignored, and they would continue to ask her over and over until she probably, out of frustration, just said "I'm attracted to everyone. Now, please, for the sake of god, go back to the lesson." I've actually observed exactly this type of exchange numerous times in a female instructor's class. Strangely enough, this rarely happens in a guy's class. The kids don't really care about the social lives of male teachers.

She's married to a man, it's literally the fifth sentence in the article.

26 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Is it really that unusual for teachers in your area to have family pictures at their desks? That or discuss their vacations while trying to engage kids to talk about their own vacations? That's all wildly benign shit. I remember talking about going to Cape Cod over summer vacation with my teacher mentioning him bringing his wife and kids down to Florida back in like fifth grade. That was what, 10 years old back in '92? I only remember that because we were all jealous of them going to Disney World. That felt like such an impossible destination for our poor asses.

How did you get that as a takeaway from the article?  That this came from a picture on a desk?

Isn't it funny how saying that you're gay is "discussing your sexuality" but a woman saying they have a husband is just fine?

This is all just marrying the typical conservative religious hate of gays with the new Q-anon bullshit of calling every they dislike pedophiles. They insert words like "sexuality" into language about teaching young kids as a boogeyman trigger(I don't want my 6 year old around "sexuality"!)

I Love Fricking Lucy would run afoul of these laws if they were applied equally because not only was their "sexuality" shown explicitly onscreen she even got pregnant!

Know how that happened? Ricky fricking nailed Lucy! Look at that vulgar display of sexuality right there onscreen!

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

How did you get that as a takeaway from the article?  That this came from a picture on a desk?

I wasn't talking about the article. I was just replying to you directly. Teachers implicitly discuss their sexuality in classrooms all the time across this country. I was just confused why you would ask if it was part of the curriculum or anything like that when this kind of thing comes up in class ALL THE TIME. I know my wife gets beaten with those kinds of questions quite frequently. Whether it's asking if someone has a boyfriend or asking about the family picture or asking about vacation plans.

This has been happening forever.

Conservatives are just unhappy that sometimes, these days, the answer isn't straight.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

I wasn't talking about the article. I was just replying to you directly. Teachers implicitly discuss their sexuality in classrooms all the time across this country. I was just confused why you would ask if it was part of the curriculum or anything like that when this kind of thing comes up in class ALL THE TIME. I know my wife gets beaten with those kinds of questions quite frequently. Whether it's asking if someone has a boyfriend or asking about the family picture or asking about vacation plans.

Conservatives are just unhappy that sometimes, these days, the answer isn't straight.

I was specifically referring to this case.  And what this specific teacher did.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Isn't it funny how saying that you're gay is "discussing your sexuality" but a woman saying they have a husband is just fine?

This is all just marrying the typical conservative religious hate of gays with the new Q-anon bullshit of calling every they dislike pedophiles. They insert words like "sexuality" into language about teaching young kids as a boogeyman trigger(I don't want my 6 year old around "sexuality"!)

I Love Fricking Lucy would run afoul of these laws if they were applied equally because not only was their "sexuality" shown explicitly onscreen she even got pregnant!

Know how that happened? Ricky fricking nailed Lucy! Look at that vulgar display of sexuality right there onscreen!

That isn't what happened here.  

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

So what was the bad part of what she did in this middle school classroom?

She was fired because she is an art teacher, that decided to have a discussion about sexuality with her students.

The only appropriate place for adults to be having discussions about sexuality with other people's children is during the sexual education portion of the curriculum.  I don't want my kids soccer coaches, scout leaders, dance teachers, art teachers, barbers, etc. having spontaneous conversations with groups of children about sexuality.

Talking about your significant other, whether they be the same gender or a different one is perfectly normal.  Telling a group of middle school kids that you're married to a man but attracted to both men and women is none of their fucking business.  She's their teacher, a person in authority, not their friend.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was specifically referring to this case.  And what this specific teacher did.

I'm asking what she did that's any different than what teachers all over the world do everyday? Far as I can tell, the only difference is answering that she was pan. Most of my teachers growing up were straight. How did I know? I had one teacher that was gay. How did I know? I was done with public schools more than two decades ago. I guess I'm just confused over what the crazy part of this story is other than her being sacked.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

kids love knowing things about their teachers, it helps create a connection and can give kids who may not have the love and support at home for who they are (and by middle school many, many kids know or have questions about such things) someone they may be able to turn to. horror of horrors.

the implication is that when asked a direct question about sexuality, gay/bi/pan teachers should remain closeted unless they're the abstinence only sex educator.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm asking what she did that's any different than what teachers all over the world do everyday? Far as I can tell, the only difference is answering that she was pan. Most of my teachers growing up were straight. How did I know? I had one teacher that was gay. How did I know? I was done with public schools more than two decades ago. I guess I'm just confused over what the crazy part of this story is other than her being sacked.

The crazy part is always that conservatives even care about any of this.