Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of membership (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The $100/year for "extra" doesn't sound bad at all... If you're going to spend $180/year by paying monthly, well... that's just silly.

Yeah, but I just payed slightly more then $180Cnd and I now have Xbox Ultimate Gamepass until 2025 with new game releases day one. Sony is just gonna keep being Sony, and take the money without giving back to their loyal die hard fanbase. If I see it cheap I might still go for the lowest tier because the free monthly games have been good and I need to finish Control on my PS5

26 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Yeah, but I just payed slightly more then $180Cnd and I now have Xbox Ultimate Gamepass until 2025 with new game releases day one. Sony is just gonna keep being Sony, and take the money without giving back to their loyal die hard fanbase. If I see it cheap I might still go for the lowest tier because the free monthly games have been good and I need to finish Control on my PS5

I do GP Ultimate which is typically about $120-130/year when stacking up months while it's on sale around Christmas.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I do GP Ultimate which is typically about $120-130/year when stacking up months while it's on sale around Christmas.

Let your UGP expire next time.

Buy 3 of the 12 month Xbox Live Gold cards (Canadian can get them for $60 Costco) and a 1 month UGP card. Add the 3 years of gold first and then the 1 month UGP to auto convert the cheaper 3 years all to UGP. Works out to just over $60Cnd a year for UGP. 

I've said this before but I've been on Games Pass since nearly the beginning, and have it through 2025 and I've paid a total of $80 for what is like a total of 6+ years of Games Pass? I use MS rewards and use the points for Games Pass, and then I did the gold conversion trick for 2 years at $40 a year. I do waste a few minutes a day to get the rewards points, but I'd say its worked out for me. 

They did recently nerf the points on the app, so I wonder if they are going to nerf the points elsewhere too, or raise the point requirements for things. The app didn't get you as many extra points though. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Let your UGP expire next time.

Buy 3 of the 12 month Xbox Live Gold cards (Canadian can get them for $60 Costco) and a 1 month UGP card. Add the 3 years of gold first and then the 1 month UGP to auto convert the cheaper 3 years all to UGP. Works out to just over $60Cnd a year for UGP. 

By the time mine expires, that won't be around anymore :p 

Yeah I did the 3 years of Ultimate GamePass for $151 and I have to be honest, I barely even use it lol. I think that tells me I need to just stop paying for these bullshit subscriptions and then subscribe for a month when there's actually decent content I haven't played before. I'm looking at this Sony stuff the same exact way. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I think Sony has metrics on like how well their PS1 games have sold in the past and generally it is like dog shit, which had led to what’s his face saying stuff like “nobody wants to play old games,” or whatever. 

So for a dumb yokel like me, I’m not paying 100 fucking dollars a year just to have access to those games, but I would for their medium tier. And I’m assuming too much here but it seems they likely have info that says that for most people those old games aren’t going to drive them to spend the extra money. And then I guess I don’t know how the pricing compares to Xbox’s BC stuff but it just seems way out of whack. Can’t you just throw an old Xbox game in your X and it’ll download the digital version no extra cost? 

Very disappointing to me they’re are locking ancient PS1 games behind the highest paywall. 

Nintendo charges $20 annually for access to NES and SNES games.  Sony's willing to bet people will spend the same on PS1/PS2 + 1st party game trials.  I think they'll be right.

The only issue here is that you can't just spend $20 in isolation.  You have to get the subscription library package too.

Still, the sticker price with Microsoft for online play (Gold) and Games Pass together is $180.  Sony is charging $120 for their highest tier.  Their pricing most certainly isn't out of whack.  Although that could be further scrutinized when we know more about the library, and what it gets updated with.

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo charges $20 annually for access to NES and SNES games.  Sony's willing to bet people will spend the same on PS1/PS2 + 1st party game trials.  I think they'll be right.

The only issue here is that you can't just spend $20 in isolation.  You have to get the subscription library package too.

Still, the sticker price with Microsoft for online play (Gold) and Games Pass together is $180.  Sony is charging $120 for their highest tier.  Their pricing most certainly isn't out of whack.  Although that could be further scrutinized when we know more about the library, and what it gets updated with.

I don’t think it’s a good metric to say, “let’s see what Nintendo is doing.” And when I say it’s out of whack I meant the part where MS lets you throw in your old disc and away you go, whereas Sony is putting them behind their highest tier and offering 0 other ways to get their legacy content. That is bullshit, and I think it’s bullshit that Nintendo does it that way too. 

If they offered those libraries to purchase piece meal I could live with it. 

This topic really got us thinking here at the home. We have way to many streaming subs and it's just not funny at all. These prices seemed just ridiculous when compared to Game Pass. Not a MS fanboy but the highest tier GP Ultimate is 14.99 a month with deals found easily to save on that price too. Then I looked and my sub to PS+ ends in April. So having Disney+ / Hulu no ads, Apple+, Prime, HBO Max and Netflix's highest tier, Nintendo+ Expansion and Gamepass {Ultimate is paid through 2024} I said fine, No PS, that's easy. I'll look into it when ever I find a easy PS5 down the road. All this and a Reservation for a top Tier Steam Deck @649.99!! LOL

Well that was Yesterday, lol. I was browsing new HBO Max series and up popped an AD for PS5 in stock Now for Best Buy total tech members. I swear to god, I laughed out loud as I clicked the ad, logged into best buy searched PS5 and there it was, 499 disc version with no Upsale! Well Total Tech is I guess but I use it for warranties on my 83" LGC1 and 65" LGCX, along with my Denon x6700H receiver and Xbox Series X so it's a much cheaper option that buying warranties for them all.. I still thought no way was it going to be this easy, WELL FU%K :shock:   I added to cart, It said I was inline for awhile with a spinning Buffering like thing spinning and then bamm! There it was! I pick it up April 7th, disc version. It cost me 214.99 as I had almost $300 {$280} in Reward certificates I had to spend by may anyways!

So....

How much was the PS+ again? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t think it’s a good metric to say, “let’s see what Nintendo is doing.” And when I say it’s out of whack I meant the part where MS lets you throw in your old disc and away you go, whereas Sony is putting them behind their highest tier and offering 0 other ways to get their legacy content. That is bullshit, and I think it’s bullshit that Nintendo does it that way too. 

If they offered those libraries to purchase piece meal I could live with it. 

Nintendo is charging an extra $30 on top of that $20 for PS1 era games though. :p

I’d love for Sony to embrace physical discs more with legacy games.  But I’m far more annoyed at PS3 being a streaming only thing than them not supporting its physical media.  I’d rather see them look into emulating that first.

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo is charging an extra $30 on top of that $20 for PS1 era games though. :p

I’d love for Sony to embrace physical discs more with legacy games.  But I’m far more annoyed at PS3 being a streaming only thing than them not supporting its physical media.  I’d rather see them look into emulating that first.

I actually have a PS3 hooked up to a TV still and most of the games I would wanna play on it. Hell, that's the last console they gave any mind to supporting with PS1 and to some degree PS2 games, which is half the reason I still have the thing hooked up. If they hadn't been so up their own ass about the cell maybe they'd be able to emulate it by now lol. 

But I think @HardAct is kind of on to a larger point for why I am not impressed with these tiers: In a vacuum, sure, just side by side it's probably in the ball park of "value" compared to what you might get with a Game Pass (though I'm not entirely convinced of that). But we're not in a vacuum. They're vying for my money along with my time, and I already subscribe to too much stuff. I pay for FF14 subs off and on. Personally, I needed a service that came close to wow'ing me, and instead they kind of just pissed me off. Maybe I'm being too petty with this one too, but to charge $70 for your first party stuff when MS is not only not doing that but also including their first party games day and date on their service just seems like...come on. It also opens up weird situations where like...ok so I can pay $70 for this first party game at launch, but maybe it comes to the service later in the year, but maybe it doesn't. 

The more I think about it I just can't stand this at all lol. 

Hard pass from me. 

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I actually have a PS3 hooked up to a TV still and most of the games I would wanna play on it. Hell, that's the last console they gave any mind to supporting with PS1 and to some degree PS2 games, which is half the reason I still have the thing hooked up. If they hadn't been so up their own ass about the cell maybe they'd be able to emulate it by now lol. 

But I think @HardAct is kind of on to a larger point for why I am not impressed with these tiers: In a vacuum, sure, just side by side it's probably in the ball park of "value" compared to what you might get with a Game Pass (though I'm not entirely convinced of that). But we're not in a vacuum. They're vying for my money along with my time, and I already subscribe to too much stuff. I pay for FF14 subs off and on. Personally, I needed a service that came close to wow'ing me, and instead they kind of just pissed me off. Maybe I'm being too petty with this one too, but to charge $70 for your first party stuff when MS is not only not doing that but also including their first party games day and date on their service just seems like...come on. It also opens up weird situations where like...ok so I can pay $70 for this first party game at launch, but maybe it comes to the service later in the year, but maybe it doesn't. 

The more I think about it I just can't stand this at all lol. 

Hard pass from me. 

I think I need to just say no. I'm an adult and we can "AFFORD" it, but will I use it is the question that I seem to not ask myself enough. I do NOT play my PS4 much at all if at all. Really all I do is look once or twice a month at the "FREE" games offered {LOL} add  them if they look good, tell myself I'll get to those for sure soon and shut it off again. It's just not smart. I bought the Added Nintendo thing on top of the 20 for online and I don't play anything online. Stupid right? I justified it for the Mario Kart 8 tracks, then rethought the purchase because you don't own the tracks if you drop the sub next year so I then paid for the Tracks myself and that was dumb too. It's the most played game by far when the kids are here but WTF MAN! 20 a month isn't anything but added to 12 subscriptions it can be. At least I dropped SHUTTER streaming service being the huge Thriller / Horror fans that we are, because it's stupid on top of the content we already have, makes me sick with myself really. I'm going to let my Sony PS+ sub run out, and try very very hard to justify why before I pick it up again. Good thing is, Sony is making this easy for me/ some of us right?

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It probably won’t.

I’ve long since realized these services aren’t for me as they stand.  I get too many games for dirt cheap, bundled or free on the PC side.  These subscriptions have too much overlap with what I own or will soon, and even if I miss out on some things early, I feel like I get more for my money’s worth actually owning the games, and choosing more selectively.

They’re great if you’ve been out of the ecosystem though.  Like, if you never owned many Playstation consoles, this would be great to catch up.

But we’re also talking about $100-180 annual subscriptions now.  I couldn’t justify doing that for more than catch up personally.  I could have bought a (couple) dozen games instead, to play on my own terms.

• Like 1

Gamepass makes it easy for me because typically I would day1 buy their games so I end up breaking even or saving money usually just off of that. And they have tons of other day1 stuff now from other publishers so that stuff just keeps adding to the value. Later releases are a bonus but still nice when something I was waiting to be $20 or whatever shows up.

This idk, I can justify it  based off currently paying for Plus and it being only $60 more for premium on top and try it out for a year. I’ll have to see how much I actually use it to continue. I really wish ps3 stuff was digital and that they had some with upgrades like Xbox does. Like boost Motorstorm games to 4k/60 that would get me excited for the thing. I’d also like Vita added for it to be platform complete. 

Assuming it would be theatrically possible for the ps5 to emulate ps3, wouldn’t it be cheaper overall for them to offer digital downloads rather than streaming? As far as maintenance/bandwidth? 

Anyway, I guess I’m happy with the announcement because it was cheaper than I thought it would be for the top tier and downloads of ps1/2 are confirmed. As @johnny would say, I was whelmed.

Not to be hyperbolic or anything, because I’ve been slowly going this way for a while and it’s not specifically tied to this announcement, but I think I’m just to a point where I just don’t care about whatever it is Sony does any more. I no longer desire a PS5, I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy on all my other systems. I may miss out on some exclusives that don’t eventually make it to PC, but I’m fine with that. 

• Shocked 1

I just think it's not a very good deal. Its just PS+ and PSNow with a smattering of ps5 games I already own. 

Like, they said 720 games, which is about what is on PSNow currently. The problem is that most of what is on PSNow just isn't worth playing. It's shovelware and games that nobody is really interested in playing 

"Select Games" will be downloadable, just like they are now. Sony still not putting in the effort to emulate ps3, so we still need to stream. Luckily I have good internet, but 75% of the world does not. 

I'm probably going to get the lowest tier, because I play online a bit, but its not a great deal.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, crispy4000 said:

But GP ultimate includes day 1 first party games, and you can get GP cards for almost nothing and stack them up. 

Id be more than happy to pay 180$ a year if God of War and the like were there Day 1. We definitely know they aren't.

As I thought when it was initially announced, it was a rebranding of PSNow because even with some of the recent deals they offered to try to get people on the service, it seemed to see no growth.  Now they can tag it onto PS+ and will probably see a higher uptake on it.  I'm sure it's much easier to get people to pay a little more to "upgrade" a current service than it is to get them to sign up for 2 completely separate services.

No Ratchet and Clank though almost a year later is a bit disappointing.  It'd be nice to get an idea of how long it'll take before 1st party games land.  If it were 6 months I think it'd still be an attractive idea, but 1 year or more wouldn't be.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

But GP ultimate includes day 1 first party games, and you can get GP cards for almost nothing and stack them up. 

The workarounds won't be here forever, unless you also get into MS Rewards (as some here do).  There's even workarounds on Sony's side.  For the average consumer not skirting the rules, the cost is $60 more a year than PS Plus' highest tier.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Id be more than happy to pay 180$ a year if God of War and the like were there Day 1. We definitely know they aren't.

Personally... I wouldn't be.  Because it'd be on there in a year.  And if I really cared enough about a game to want it day one, I'd be willing to buy it.  To keep and play it without being subscription gated.

I'm probably not the target demographic here though, since I'd rather buy on the cheap than anything.

23 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

It does make sense though that they can’t / aren’t willing to do that. The budget of their biggest games compares to MS’s is larger, and then the point was made on nextlander was that Sony’s big games typically aren’t made to make money past the initial sale of the game, aka they aren’t going to sell you a Nathan drake skin. Which I appreciate. 

And the fact that PlayStation IS Sony’s way to make money, whereas MS can lose money hand over fist if they want to to play the long game. It’s why I think this is ultimately a losing battle for Sony. 

It’s also why I think they need to put the classic games on the second tier, since that isn’t really costing them like making their first party games available day 1 would, but would provide that extra push of value I think this plan needs. 

And really I think they need to just be totally transparent about when their first party games will come. Like say it’s a year or something. Or make it clear on  a case by case basis. Because as it stands  if I did purchase the highest tier I would be very hesitant to purchase first party games knowing they might be “free” in a year. 

20 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It does make sense though that they can’t / aren’t willing to do that. The budget of their biggest games compares to MS’s is larger, and then the point was made on nextlander was that Sony’s big games typically aren’t made to make money past the initial sale of the game, aka they aren’t going to sell you a Nathan drake skin. Which I appreciate.

But they do tack on multiplayer alongside it, like Uncharted or what they are trying to do with The Last of Us. :p