Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of membership (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)

Commissar SFLUFAN

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It does make sense though that they can’t / aren’t willing to do that. The budget of their biggest games compares to MS’s is larger, and then the point was made on nextlander was that Sony’s big games typically aren’t made to make money past the initial sale of the game, aka they aren’t going to sell you a Nathan drake skin. Which I appreciate. 

And the fact that PlayStation IS Sony’s way to make money, whereas MS can lose money hand over fist if they want to to play the long game. It’s why I think this is ultimately a losing battle for Sony. 

It’s also why I think they need to put the classic games on the second tier, since that isn’t really costing them like making their first party games available day 1 would, but would provide that extra push of value I think this plan needs. 

And really I think they need to just be totally transparent about when their first party games will come. Like say it’s a year or something. Or make it clear on  a case by case basis. Because as it stands  if I did purchase the highest tier I would be very hesitant to purchase first party games knowing they might be “free” in a year. 

Sony has 10 live service games in production, and after GT7, and games like Sackboy, I'd say they are more than happy to nickel and dime for skins and the like. Yeah, They have plenty of non mtx games coming, but I expect it to be less and less as time goes on. Im almost expecting spiderman 2 to have some tacked on online stuff just for that.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But they do tack on multiplayer alongside it, like Uncharted or what they are trying to do with The Last of Us. :p

They try lol. 

But 4 didn’t have multi right? And I never played LOU2 but I don’t remember it having multi either? 

1’s multiplayer was kinda interesting actually, big I’ll never forgive them for attaching a few trophies to it. 

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sony has 10 live service games in production, and after GT7, and games like Sackboy, I'd say they are more than happy to nickel and dime for skins and the like. Yeah, They have plenty of non mtx games coming, but I expect it to be less and less as time goes on. Im almost expecting spiderman 2 to have some tacked on online stuff just for that.

They’re happy to do it don’t get me wrong, they just suck at it. Which is probably partially why they picked up Bungie. 

There’s a big difference between Sackboy - which I have no idea how they monetize that but I’m sure they’re not rolling in it - compared to halo, forza, gears, cod now, etc. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

It does make sense though that they can’t / aren’t willing to do that. The budget of their biggest games compares to MS’s is larger, and then the point was made on nextlander was that Sony’s big games typically aren’t made to make money past the initial sale of the game, aka they aren’t going to sell you a Nathan drake skin. Which I appreciate. 

As they just released GT7 which is getting crucified for microtransactions.

Without knowing the details on the 3rd party deals for Game Pass, or the actual avg price people are paying for subs, I don't know how anyone can really say what's feasible and isn't from a business perspective.  

• True 1

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

As they just released GT7 which is getting crucified for microtransactions.

Without knowing the details on the 3rd party deals for Game Pass, or the actual avg price people are paying for subs, I don't know how anyone can really say what's feasible and isn't from a business perspective.  

Ah yes the racing game that they release every seven years that is distinctly different from most of the games their studios release and had absolutely no clue how to monetize its shit is not a weird exception but proof that everything I said (which is based on stuff straight from the horse’s mouth) is invalid. 

GT7 is actually a great example of what I’m taking about. MS not only is happy to release forza every single year, but also to sell content for it and fun collabs like hot wheels. Sony’s last mainline game in one of their biggest franchises was released 9 years ago for the PS3 lol. They have to collect on that as much as they can - yes if they had the ability to they’d do that through micro transactions, and they’ll try, but they’re not willing to risk sacrificing millions of full priced purchases of the game for their service that they’re just kinda one foot in the door with.

26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Ah yes the racing game that they release every seven years that is distinctly different from most of the games their studios release and had absolutely no clue how to monetize its shit is not a weird exception but proof that everything I said (which is based on stuff straight from the horse’s mouth) is invalid. 

Naughty Dog's last 2 games with multiplayer also had Microtransactions, which is arguably their biggest studio.  Last of Us 2 probably would have had them had they not split out Factions to be a stand alone release. 

Factions I'm sure will have Microtransactions, and I doubt it'll be F2P, but maybe. 

But yea you are right they suck at Microtransactions, not that Microsoft hasn't been plenty bad as well.  Last of Us had pay to win MTX, and Halo 5 essentially did too for the Warzone mode.

the-last-of-us-microtransactions.jpg
WWW.GAMEREVOLUTION.COM

The Last of Us' microtransactions are still a cause for concern in 2019. While the game is currently available for free through PS Plus, its pay-to-win features remain locked.

5 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Naughty Dog's last 2 games with multiplayer also had Microtransactions, which is arguably their biggest studio.  Last of Us 2 probably would have had them had they not split out Factions to be a stand alone release. 

Factions I'm sure will have Microtransactions, and I doubt it'll be F2P, but maybe. 

But yea you are right they suck at Microtransactions, not that Microsoft hasn't been plenty bad as well.  Last of Us had pay to win MTX, and Halo 5 essentially did too for the Warzone mode.

the-last-of-us-microtransactions.jpg
WWW.GAMEREVOLUTION.COM

The Last of Us' microtransactions are still a cause for concern in 2019. While the game is currently available for free through PS Plus, its pay-to-win features remain locked.

Yes, as I said and keep saying, they have and will continue to try, but they cannot rely on that as a means to make up the cost of the game development. 

The larger point I am making is that MS doesn’t need to turn a profit on individual games. They have a plan for the future that will rely on that consistent monthly / yearly payment from its user base. They have the pocketbook to eat it for an extended period of time to make this happen. Sony does not. That is not baseless speculation and Sony has essentially said this is so many words. 

I stand by the point I was trying to make, though perhaps not very clearly, that Sony’s games tend to be single player narrative focus with very long dev times, and it’s not that MS doesn’t have those, but their stable of first party studios is so much more diverse and includes teams like Bethesda, which shit may match Sony’s first party studios combined at this point. 

Someone brought up the fact that they have like 10 live games in development - yes - probably as a direct response to where the industry is going and what they feel they need to do to make their subscription plan work in the future. Like MS. 

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you want to take them at their word yes. What they mean is they would rather just have you pay money for the thing.

Them and plenty of industry vets / journos. 

Do you really think they could offer their 1st party games included day and date and stay afloat long term? Especially when even with those games on there the service doesn’t come close to matching game pass? I sure don’t. 

I think it would be nice if they a) offered a discount for first party games with like the second tier service and b) were very transparent on if a game is planned to be added to the service and when 

There’s a lack of transparency right now of what we’re even paying for. And they have time to clear that up, but it’s odd to me that they would even do this announcement without making it clear what you’re even getting. 

I guess my point wasn't so much about what Sony is doing, but more about me thinking that a Game Pass model seems totally viable financially to me.  But it would all depend on how much they need to spend on the big 3rd party deals, and what subscribers are actually paying.

The rumor is they paid $5-$10 million for GotG, which was a well received few month old game.  That seems pretty cheap to me if your service is possibly pulling in $150-$200 million a month.  Now if MLB The Show cost $250+ million to get Day 1, then of course that changes the conversation. 

But if Microsoft can get to the point where Game Pass is pulling in consistent recurring revenue each month whether a big AAA 1st Party is dropping or not, I don't see how that's worse than getting a big payout a few times each year when you drop a big AAA game.

Let's not forget Halo was still #2 on NPD for December, and Forza Horizon 5 was #4th in November and Top 20 the next 2 months, on top of the subscription revenue coming in each month.  Microsoft 1st party also had multiple games on Steams top sellers for the year.  They now have multiple revenue streams for their games, between Game Pass, regular retail/digital, and Steam.

Without knowing more details though, its impossible to really comment on.  And of course, this all becomes more moot with scale.  If they continue growing at a healthy rate, it's healthier and healthier.  My guess is if Sony had a real Game Pass equivalent, they'd easily surpass Game Pass numbers quickly and be closer to 40 million subs.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I guess my point wasn't so much about what Sony is doing, but more about me thinking that a Game Pass model seems totally viable financially to me.  But it would all depend on how much they need to spend on the big 3rd party deals, and what subscribers are actually paying.

The rumor is they paid $5-$10 million for GotG, which was a well received few month old game.  That seems pretty cheap to me if your service is possibly pulling in $150-$200 million a month.  Now if MLB The Show cost $250+ million to get Day 1, then of course that changes the conversation. 

But if Microsoft can get to the point where Game Pass is pulling in consistent recurring revenue each month whether a big AAA 1st Party is dropping or not, I don't see how that's worse than getting a big payout a few times each year when you drop a big AAA game.

Let's not forget Halo was still #2 on NPD for December, and Forza Horizon 5 was #4th in November and Top 20 the next 2 months, on top of the subscription revenue coming in each month.  Microsoft 1st party also had multiple games on Steams top sellers for the year.  They now have multiple revenue streams for their games, between Game Pass, regular retail/digital, and Steam.

Without knowing more details though, its impossible to really comment on.

Im not really sure then cuz you maybe really misunderstood what I was saying. 

None of what I was saying was meant to be a critique of MS’s game pass. Quite the opposite. But Sony does not have the resources to catch them and they cannot take the risks MS can. 

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Do you really think they could offer their 1st party games included day and date and stay afloat long term? Especially when even with those games on there the service doesn’t come close to matching game pass? I sure don’t.

I think they could. Keep in mind that you have to be subbed to the whatever tier to even take advantage of this. There are still plenty of non-subscribers who would gladly shell out some cash for some Sony games.

24 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think it would be nice if they a) offered a discount for first party games with like the second tier service and b) were very transparent on if a game is planned to be added to the service and when

That would be a good compromise. Waive the $10 PS5 tax perhaps.

I think Kyle Bosman, even though he was joking, had a good idea. Just like Disney plus has shows that are only on Disney Plus, they should make games that are exclusive to the highest PS+ tier.

For everyone that did this for Xbox, and got Game Pass Ultimate for $60 a year for multiple years.  You can buy PSNow for $60 a year for multiple years which will convert to the $120 a year PS+ Premium version.  Basically if you were gonna subscribe to PS+ anyway for multiple years, might as well get the added benefits.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think they could. Keep in mind that you have to be subbed to the whatever tier to even take advantage of this. There are still plenty of non-subscribers who would gladly shell out some cash for some Sony games.

I don’t think they could offer it and come out ahead, with sales or revenue, for a long time.  It’d be a long play that absolutely could hurt their development prospects in the short to mid term.  I don’t think Microsoft shares that concern, partly because they don’t have to.

As a side note, the rest of the AAA industry is also in no position for it.  Look at how much Ubisoft is still charging for +.

6 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

For everyone that did this for Xbox, and got Game Pass Ultimate for $60 a year for multiple years.  You can buy PSNow for $60 a year for multiple years which will convert to the $120 a year PS+ Premium version.  Basically if you were gonna subscribe to PS+ anyway for multiple years, might as well get the added benefits.

Locked and loaded for a year (I want to give this service a try for a year for the classics). Yet i'm curious how they will stack/merge this with my current PSN subscription (guessing my new one will just be till the end of my now subscription and ignore what remains in my PSN subscription but that was only till september anyways).

-edit-

Sounds like online my normal plus subscription will be ignored and I'll just be premium till april 2023. I think i'm ok with that (my previous subscription was at a discounted rate anyways). Seems it will be cheaper than just upgrading to the premium service anyways.

44 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Locked and loaded for a year (I want to give this service a try for a year for the classics). Yet i'm curious how they will stack/merge this with my current PSN subscription (guessing my new one will just be till the end of my now subscription and ignore what remains in my PSN subscription but that was only till september anyways).

-edit-

Sounds like online my normal plus subscription will be ignored and I'll just be premium till april 2023. I think i'm ok with that (my previous subscription was at a discounted rate anyways). Seems it will be cheaper than just upgrading to the premium service anyways.

Ya I just got like 5 years worth, figured I'll prob end up keeping PS+ subbed not matter what, so might as well lock in the same price with all the added perks of Premium.  Xbox limits you to 3 years unfortunately, but did the same for them.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Those were pulled almost instantly by Sony to stop people from “exploiting” it. If you got it when it popped up, you got lucky. MSFT > Sony

cdkeys has them for $48 still, have you heard anything about an issue with those because otherwise that should still work right?

On 4/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, Paperclyp said:

They try lol. 

But 4 didn’t have multi right? And I never played LOU2 but I don’t remember it having multi either? 

1’s multiplayer was kinda interesting actually, big I’ll never forgive them for attaching a few trophies to it. 

4 and Lost Legacy had multi and it was actually a lot of fun. I did a lot of PvE in it.

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

cdkeys has them for $48 still, have you heard anything about an issue with those because otherwise that should still work right?

Those have been out of stock for awhile too. My fiancée was planning on getting me a few years for my bday, when she tried to get them they were gone everywhere, and that was on like the 8th.

Also, Syphon Filter 1-4 were rated for PS5/PS4. PS1 classics? PS Now? A Mix? Definitely PS Now I'd say as four of the PS1 downloads.

Syphon-Filter-Ratings_04-22-22_Top.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Those have been out of stock for awhile too. My fiancée was planning on getting me a few years for my bday, when she tried to get them they were gone everywhere, and that was on like the 8th.

lol didn’t realize the big green button said notify me

whatevvvaaaas then, at least I don’t need to upfront the money now lol

15 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Also, Syphon Filter 1-4 were rated for PS5/PS4. PS1 classics? PS Now? A Mix? Definitely PS Now I'd say as four of the PS1 downloads.

Syphon-Filter-Ratings_04-22-22_Top.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated Syphon Filter, Syphon Filter 2, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

Any word on whether they plan to add trophies to the PS1 and PSP games?

Not holding my breath, but it would be cool....