Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of membership (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

There is not a chance in hell that is real. Seriously your BS meter should always be off the charts when it's a picture of a screen. 

I mean, it sounds exactly like the material Jeff Grubb describes in his podcast, only he said he wouldn't reveal prices, but he had it completely right. 4 tiers, with ps4/5 game streaming on the highest tier. I wouldn't call bs too fast. Especially with how out of touch Sony is lately.

• Haha 1

Well whatever they show us, I hope it has an ultimate gamepass cheap method to stack the years on for the cheap. I worked it out that with the 3 years of gold cards and a 1 month UGP to auto convert the 3 years to UGP. My total is $5.41Cnd a month and I’m set until March 3rd, 2025. Sadly I can’t see Sony coming anywhere near the value that Microsoft is offering. Doesn’t even seem like PS4/5 players would be offered MLB The Game ‘22 for free and yet it’s there on gamepass for a 2nd year in a row. I own the the disc version of the PS5, subscription recently ended and I’m sort of waiting to see if this new project will warrant my money 

On 3/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, silentbob said:

My PS+ subscription ended a few months ago. I liked the games they offered but what a bunch of assholes for locking the games on me now. They gave it out for free, it should stay fucking free. If it weren’t for the few exclusives they have (Ratchet and Clank and God of War in particular) I would be more then happy with my Series X/PC with gamepass. It’s kinda sad seeing PS5 getting all the hype because the Xbox with gamepass kicks ass of anything Sony is offering.

WHAT????

This is one thing I always defended Sony for over MS being that PS+ games were yours when you added them to the library. If there locked now this is the first I have heard of this? Starting when, are the games I thought were mine back then locked too or are they doing this moving forward? This is bullshit! I haven't turned my PS4 Pro on for at least 2 months but I'm now going to check this out and update the system while I'm at it, this is quite disappointing to me...I'd be fine with it if that was standard but this was a feature used in many arguments in MS vs Sony, Games with Gold / PS+, Etc! Man not cool, not cool. I'm going to let my PS+ sub expire this time, not because of this but it's just not needed now, I'm so buried in games already, but I have held a PS+ sub since the beginning until now and I do realize they have to compete with the Game Pass juggernaut, but putting included features now behind a pay wall is bad news at least to me.

I need to try and find a ps5 again, I spend about 2 minutes a week looking, starting to think this might not be the best way to score one f these consoles now...

12 minutes ago, HardAct said:

WHAT????

This is one thing I always defended Sony for over MS being that PS+ games were yours when you added them to the library. If there locked now this is the first I have heard of this?

As I explained earlier in the thread, you've thought the opposite the whole time. :p

10 hours ago, HardAct said:

WHAT????

This is one thing I always defended Sony for over MS being that PS+ games were yours when you added them to the library. If there locked now this is the first I have heard of this?

Pretty sure they were always locked to an active sub?

Well SHIT....lol

Honestly don't know why I even have a PS+ sub it's just something I have always just done, I need to rethink a lot of shit I spend money on though. Not re'upping this after April when it expires, maybe I'll see a value when ever I buy a PS5!

13 hours ago, HardAct said:

WHAT????

This is one thing I always defended Sony for over MS being that PS+ games were yours when you added them to the library. If there locked now this is the first I have heard of this? Starting when, are the games I thought were mine back then locked too or are they doing this moving forward? This is bullshit! I haven't turned my PS4 Pro on for at least 2 months but I'm now going to check this out and update the system while I'm at it, this is quite disappointing to me...I'd be fine with it if that was standard but this was a feature used in many arguments in MS vs Sony, Games with Gold / PS+, Etc! Man not cool, not cool. I'm going to let my PS+ sub expire this time, not because of this but it's just not needed now, I'm so buried in games already, but I have held a PS+ sub since the beginning until now and I do realize they have to compete with the Game Pass juggernaut, but putting included features now behind a pay wall is bad news at least to me.

I need to try and find a ps5 again, I spend about 2 minutes a week looking, starting to think this might not be the best way to score one f these consoles now...

Holy shit :rofl:

You've had it COMPLETELY BACKWARDS this entire time! 

PS+ titles have always locked to an active subscription.  Games with Gold titles are yours to keep forever even if the subscription lapses.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

PS+ titles have always locked to an active subscription.  Games with Gold titles are yours to keep forever even if the subscription lapses.

That’s actually not true anymore. Games  with Gold are tied to your subscription 

Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One: You’ll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you’ll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

Xbox 360: Any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

SUPPORT.XBOX.COM

58 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

That’s actually not true anymore. Games  with Gold are tied to your subscription 

SUPPORT.XBOX.COM

It's half true. Xbox 360 games are still yours to keep forever. XBO games have always been tied to your Gold sub. 

That's why I always redeem the 360 games they offer, even if i have zero interest in them.

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oopsie!

Can we just pin my response so mistakes like this stop happening?

On 3/25/2022 at 6:33 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

It's always been like that. As long as you are subscribed you can play the games but when you're not it's cut off. Games with Gold (For Xbone and above) is the same way.

• Haha 1

PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.

So if I keep my PSNow sub, it will convert to PS+ Premium, but stay at $10? Or is that only if I've paid for a year? Should I pay up for that year now, I wonder? An $8 a month difference adds up.

They didn't clarify if I could stream PS5 versions of games to my PS4. That's pretty much the only way I'm going to get current gen quality since PS5's are impossible to get.

41 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t have time to make the thread, but they finally announced pricing on this and it’s way too fuckin expensive, imagine that. 

I saw it's 17.99/month for the tier that actually includes anything I'm interested in. Yeah, no thanks, I'm good. I'll just keep emulating the handful of games that I actually love and that held up. 

OF WHICH I OWN ORIGINALS OF COURSE.

animation domination fox GIF by gifnews

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of benefits (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of membership (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)

Sounds like downloadable PS1/PS2/PSP Classics. I'm game to upgrade and give this a go for a year.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it sounds exactly like the material Jeff Grubb describes in his podcast, only he said he wouldn't reveal prices, but he had it completely right. 4 tiers, with ps4/5 game streaming on the highest tier. I wouldn't call bs too fast. Especially with how out of touch Sony is lately.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sony still locking cloud storage behind a paywall will forever remain some mighty fine bullshit.

It's only adds insult to injury to the need to pay for online play in the first place.

The lowest tiers on all three platforms each inspire each other to suck harder.  Nintendo charges for cloud saves too.  GWG and PS+ games are a total afterthought, and as has been said, are entirely subscription locked.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, silentbob said:

My PS+ subscription ended a few months ago. I liked the games they offered but what a bunch of assholes for locking the games on me now. They gave it out for free, it should stay fucking free. If it weren’t for the few exclusives they have (Ratchet and Clank and God of War in particular) I would be more then happy with my Series X/PC with gamepass. It’s kinda sad seeing PS5 getting all the hype because the Xbox with gamepass kicks ass of anything Sony is offering.

Hopefully you aren't reliant on your Cloud Saves either, because as soon as your PS+ expires, can't access those either.  Not sure if they are still there when you resub or not.

For the new changes, it's a little better than I expected.

Pro's
- No PS+ price increase.

- Medium tier has semi-recent first party games (~1 yr old) and a larger library than expected.

- Medium tier is cheaper than Games Pass.  Cost being reduced in the right places (no streaming).

- PS1/PS2 games can be downloaded/emulated on premium tier.

- Game trials still let people play Sony's new releases.

Cons
- Game trials aren't competitive business with what Games Pass is.
- PS3 games are streaming only.  Ugh.
- Unless you really like PS1/2 games, Games Pass is a better deal than the higher tier.

- Will the PS+ Collection stay?  They didn't specify.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Hopefully you aren't reliant on your Cloud Saves either, because as soon as your PS+ expires, can't access those either.  Not sure if they are still there when you resub or not.

They are.  I still downloaded all my saves to a thumb drive when I sold my PS4.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

For the new changes, it's a little better than I thought.

Pro's
- No PS+ price increase.

- Medium tier has semi-recent first party games (~1 yr old) and a larger library than expected.

- Medium tier is cheaper than Games Pass.  Cost being reduced in the right places (no streaming).

- PS1/PS2 games can be downloadable/emulated on premium tier.

- Game trials still let people play Sony's new releases.

Cons
- Game trials aren't competitive business with what Games Pass.
- PS3 games are streaming only.  Ugh.
- Unless you really like PS1/2 games, Games Pass is a better deal than the higher tier.

- Will the PS+ Collection stay?  They didn't specify.

PS1-2 games need to be in the medium tier. 

36 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Sony could have been inspired by Nintendo to charge more for it.

I don't think the medium tier needs it though.  It depends if the main library is good enough for $100 annually.

I think Sony has metrics on like how well their PS1 games have sold in the past and generally it is like dog shit, which had led to what’s his face saying stuff like “nobody wants to play old games,” or whatever. 

So for a dumb yokel like me, I’m not paying 100 fucking dollars a year just to have access to those games, but I would for their medium tier. And I’m assuming too much here but it seems they likely have info that says that for most people those old games aren’t going to drive them to spend the extra money. And then I guess I don’t know how the pricing compares to Xbox’s BC stuff but it just seems way out of whack. Can’t you just throw an old Xbox game in your X and it’ll download the digital version no extra cost? 

Very disappointing to me they’re are locking ancient PS1 games behind the highest paywall. 

33 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

And then I guess I don’t know how the pricing compares to Xbox’s BC stuff but it just seems way out of whack. Can’t you just throw an old Xbox game in your X and it’ll download the digital version no extra cost?

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You sure can!

And for some of them, when they become BC you can buy it digitally.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I don’t have time to make the thread, but they finally announced pricing on this and it’s way too fuckin expensive, imagine that. 

The $100/year for "extra" doesn't sound bad at all... If you're going to spend $180/year by paying monthly, well... that's just silly.