Update: all-new PlayStation Plus announced for June launch, three tiers of membership (Essential - $9.99/month, Extra - $14.99/month, Premium - $17.99/month)

Commissar SFLUFAN

I want to be excited, but Sony is gonna Sony somehow.

Like, it'll be an amazing service, but with most features or games only being on PS5. Which I don't have. I still pay for that damn PSNow, mainly because I keep forgetting to cancel it. I'll hold onto it in hopes that maybe I get grandfathered into a certain tier at a reduced cost. We'll know next week I guess.

21 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So wait.. the "most expensive" tier will be the streaming tier? Aren't all the older PS games only streamable? What's the less expensive? Are they charging more to play older games? Have they been talking to Nintendo?

It means that only the top tier will have the ability to stream games to other devices.

Yadda yadda . . .

Of course they have to respond to Gamepass but this doesn't sound very good to me. I do admit I don't know about PS now, I do have a PS+ sub I think is up in may but I forget to even look at the free games on that already. Maybe if I ever get a PS5 I'll see an advantage but I'm good with MS & GP for the near future! 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If they're not going all in there's no point.

By all means, give me ownership of every game they add to a subscription library in a given month I’m subbed.  Throw in the DLC too.  Make the online free.

I’d pay $20+ a month for that when the games justified it.  I want Humble Choice on steroids.  That's the dream, for me at least.

My PS+ subscription ended a few months ago. I liked the games they offered but what a bunch of assholes for locking the games on me now. They gave it out for free, it should stay fucking free. If it weren’t for the few exclusives they have (Ratchet and Clank and God of War in particular) I would be more then happy with my Series X/PC with gamepass. It’s kinda sad seeing PS5 getting all the hype because the Xbox with gamepass kicks ass of anything Sony is offering.

I keep going back and forth between thinking not putting all first party games on the most expensive tier is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and actually it makes a lot of sense at this point when it’s about the best thing they have going for them is cashing in on those really expensive development cycles that MS hasn’t been as willing to commit to (before they bought every studio under the sun). 

I dunno. If it has a massive library of PS1-PS3 games I’m probably in. But not getting my hopes up. 

38 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I keep going back and forth between thinking not putting all first party games on the most expensive tier is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and actually it makes a lot of sense at this point when it’s about the best thing they have going for them is cashing in on those really expensive development cycles that MS hasn’t been as willing to commit to (before they bought every studio under the sun). 

I dunno. If it has a massive library of PS1-PS3 games I’m probably in. But not getting my hopes up. 

They should be making it up in other ways, IMO.  There's nothing wrong with charging full price for their own games at launch, but it doesn't make them competitive with MS.  A few ideas of ways they could go:

1) Charge less than Games Pass for the main subscription library tier.
2) Make DLC for their games part of the subscription, a la Nintendo's expansion pass.

3) Tap more into their back catalog with emulation, especially PS1 and PS2.

4) Remove the online paywall for purchased games.

5) Make monthly giveaways a selling point again in the lowest tier.  Bolster what PS+ was into something better.

6) Counter Microsoft's EA deal with partnerships with other major publishers.

Do I expect any of this to happen?  ... No.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

My PS+ subscription ended a few months ago. I liked the games they offered but what a bunch of assholes for locking the games on me now. They gave it out for free, it should stay fucking free. If it weren’t for the few exclusives they have (Ratchet and Clank and God of War in particular) I would be more then happy with my Series X/PC with gamepass. It’s kinda sad seeing PS5 getting all the hype because the Xbox with gamepass kicks ass of anything Sony is offering.

It's always been like that. As long as you are subscribed you can play the games but when you're not it's cut off. Games with Gold (For Xbone and above) is the same way.

7 hours ago, silentbob said:

Look, I love gamepass, but this is just nonsense talk. Sony is killing it because their exclusive games are far better than anything MS has so far been able to publish this generation, and all of last. 

Gamepass is great because of the price, but theres very little I would pay for at this moment. And that includes halo, which is dead and likely will never rise again. 

Obviously I expect their output to change, there is lots to look forward to, but I definitely don't see MS kicking any ass in the first party department in the last decade. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's always been like that. As long as you are subscribed you can play the games but when you're not it's cut off. Games with Gold (For Xbone and above) is the same way.

It really shouldn’t have to be this way though.  See Amazon, Humble or heck, Epic.

For something with a built in library like Games Pass, I get it.  For GWG and PS+ … :thumbdown:

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well yeah I agree. Not sure why they decided to want to be more like PS+ when it was always an inferior service. :p

They have a symbiotic relationship of anti-consumer business practices.  If Microsoft actually went through with increasing Gold to $100 annually, you’d soon see Sony follow suit.  We’d even see Nintendo raise their baseline price.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

If non streaming retro ps1/ps2 games come from this consider me game. 

Nope, Grubb says he saw the marketing materials, and all ps1&2 stuff is available in the top tier, streaming only. No downloads. Not that any of that stuff requires a download to play well. The games are tiny in comparison, and lag should mostly be nonexistent for anyone with decent internet. I still agree it's dumb as shit you can't download them though.

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Nope, Grubb says he saw the marketing materials, and all ps1&2 stuff is available in the top tier, streaming only. No downloads. Not that any of that stuff requires a download to play well. The games are tiny in comparison, and lag should mostly be nonexistent for anyone with decent internet. I still agree it's dumb as shit you can't download them though.

I'll wait till we get the actual announcement but streaming for PS1/PS2 games is pretty dumb and a waste of streaming resources, I can get PS3 but not older stuff. I already know the retro stuff is locked behind a higher price as that has been the rumor from the start.