Switch sells 103.54m, more than Wii and PS1

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, Slug said:

Say what you will about 'em, but Nintendo knows what they're doing.

Well....most of the time. *glances over at N64 and Wii U*

28 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It was a joke in reference to something said in another thread a couple weeks ago. 

It was a good joke. Though whenever anyone says anything about how the Deck is going to crush Switch, I always remember this meme:

FKMymQXXIAEcElQ?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm still looking forward to the Deck!  

I don't own one.  I've almost bought one like twenty times though.  Thing is, I don't do handheld, on-the-go gaming, and if I leave it permadocked, well, there are more capable traditional consoles for that.  I fear that I might end up dropping 350 bucks on something that won't get much use.

It's so hard for me to get excited over anything Nintendo-related anymore. I've had a Switch for a few years now and it just sits there waiting for a Nintendo game that's not aesthetically designed for 7-yr olds. Which will be never when games like Pokemon Arceus looks like Ass-eus and still sells a bajillion copies.

I miss the Nintendo that published Eternal Darkness, Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Shadow of the Empire, Baten Kaitos, etc etc etc.

Now unless its pink and cutesy they dont give a fuck. 

Still, my Switch is full of $1.99 indie games, so there's that i guess.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's so hard for me to get excited over anything Nintendo-related anymore. I've had a Switch for a few years now and it just sits there waiting for a Nintendo game that's not aesthetically designed for 7-yr olds. Which will be never when games like Pokemon Arceus looks like Ass-eus and still sells a bajillion copies.

I miss the Nintendo that published Eternal Darkness, Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Shadow of the Empire, Baten Kaitos, etc etc etc.

Couldn't agree more.

• Guillotine 1

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Ehhhh...I mean, Nintendo's most colorful series is Splatoon and I'm not sure I consider that series aesthetically designed for seven year olds. I'm pretty sure Call of Duty skews way younger than Splatoon. The same can be said for Wario Ware. Nobody on this planet can convince me those games are designed for sober people.

They also only release like a dozen or so games a year. Last year's not colorful games would be like Metroid Dread and the Famicom Detective games. This year is Bayonetta 3, Zelda, and maybe Metroid Prime 4... we'll see about that one. Nintendo hasn't really announced their 2022 lineup.

It's been clear to me for a while now that Nintendo just isn't for me in the same way that it used to be. I never have a need for a portable system, I do value high end production values, and the games that they make largely don't appeal to me anymore. I think the only thing I played on my Switch last year was Dread, and this year it'll probably be Zelda.

Obviously Nintendo has found a significant audience that are excited about what they're putting out, and I certainly don't begrudge them their success. I remember not predicting much success for the Switch before its release, and in retrospect I think that has more to do with how Nintendo has diverged from my own gaming interests rather than misjudged the market themselves.

Going forward, I think Nintendo is probably more likely to continue to find this success than it did with the Wii. With the WiiU, Nintendo made a lot of mistakes, but I also think it's true that the Wii customer base just wasn't much of a gamer audience and didn't have any interest in a follow up no matter what. With the Switch, that's far less true. They've also carved out their own niche more heavily than ever, so it's unlikely they face any real competition in the portable gaming arena anytime soon. While I may not be impressed by their gaming lineup myself, I don't think they need to do much to continue to find buyers. They can put out a Switch 2 whenever they feel like it, put out a couple big games a year, and it'll probably sell extremely well.

Of course, I don't think they feel a ton of pressure to really do that either. They'll do it when sales slow or they find the right time with the right chip. Regardless, whenever they do, I expect that a Switch 2 will find a lot of success.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:57 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Well....most of the time. *glances over at N64 and Wii U*

It was a good joke. Though whenever anyone says anything about how the Deck is going to crush Switch, I always remember this meme:

FKMymQXXIAEcElQ?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm still looking forward to the Deck!  

But it hasn't been until now when Gaben has dipped his toes into the handheld market! Surely, Gaben will be the savior, and true answer to the Handheld Master Race. Hail HMR! 

shaking gabe newell GIF

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Going forward, I think Nintendo is probably more likely to continue to find this success than it did with the Wii. With the WiiU, Nintendo made a lot of mistakes, but I also think it's true that the Wii customer base just wasn't much of a gamer audience and didn't have any interest in a follow up no matter what. With the Switch, that's far less true. They've also carved out their own niche more heavily than ever, so it's unlikely they face any real competition in the portable gaming arena anytime soon. While I may not be impressed by their gaming lineup myself, I don't think they need to do much to continue to find buyers.

This is very true.  The Wii U and early 3DS were an existential crisis of sorts.  But now, they've proven their products can and will stick around in spite of trends elsewhere in the industry.  So long as they don't totally bungle their hardware (price & marketing included), they'll stay relevant.

Going by history, Nintendo is always in danger of losing 3rd party support in generational transitions.  The Switch is Nintendo on an upswing with that.  We have tons of 'impossible' ports to it.  Who knows if publishers will care that much the next time.  They didn't for the 3DS.  If there's any place the Deck could have an inroad into the portable market, it's here.

Nintendo also doesn't have a modern subscription devs can easily jump onto.  Maybe that's their niche for outside publishers.  Nintendo gives them a platform where customers will need to pay the premiums. ;)

On 2/6/2022 at 9:41 PM, Dre801 said:

I don't own one.  I've almost bought one like twenty times though.  Thing is, I don't do handheld, on-the-go gaming, and if I leave it permadocked, well, there are more capable traditional consoles for that.  I fear that I might end up dropping 350 bucks on something that won't get much use.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

On 2/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, best3444 said:

Couldn't agree more.

Interesting takes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :coffee:

22 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Going by history, Nintendo is always in danger of losing 3rd party support in generational transitions.  The Switch is Nintendo on an upswing with that.  We have tons of 'impossible' ports to it.  Who knows if publishers will care that much the next time.  They didn't for the 3DS.

Come again?

30 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Interesting takes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :coffee:

I haven't played my switch in almost 2 years. I'll play BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 if that ever comes out. I have no interest in any games out for it now and I hate handheld gaming. It's just my opinion and overall I still like Nintendo. It's just not producing games I like. BOTW 2 will be dope so I look forward to that!

• Like 1

Just now, best3444 said:

I haven't played my switch in almost 2 years. I'll play BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 if that ever comes out. I have no interest in any games out for it now and I hate handheld gaming. It's just my opinion and overall I still like Nintendo. It's just not producing games I like. BOTW 2 will be dope so I look forward to that!

Yeah I get it. In a kind of “on the other side of the coin” situation, that’s basically how I feel about PlayStation. I can’t remember the last time I powered on my PS4/PS5. Last game I bought was Guilty Gear Strive. I have no interest in any games out for it now and I much prefer handheld gaming over console gaming. But yeah…just my opinion. And PlayStation is cool, but similar to how Nintendo is not making games you like, PlayStation isn’t making games I like. 

We’ll see how Elden Ring shapes up…though that’s not a PS-only game, of course. 

Oh well. Opinions, amirite? :D 

• True 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Come again?

3rd party support for the 3DS was pretty poor overall IMO, especially among major publishers.  Some of the more exciting things from the big publishers actually came around launch.  By the end of its lifecycle, you mostly had niche Japan stuff and the indies that could still run on the hardware.  Most of what would have been otherwise coined as ‘portable game projects’ we’re being developed for tv screens.  Even RE Revelations 2 skipped the portable.

I’m not saying Nintendo will ever end up back there.  Probably not to the same degree.  But I could definitely see a scenario where we look back at the Switch and say Nintendo had it better then.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Last year's not colorful games would be like Metroid Dread and the Famicom Detective games. This year is Bayonetta 3, Zelda, and maybe Metroid Prime 4.

Not colorful = not cartoony? Because I'd argue those games make great use of color. 

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

3rd party support for the 3DS was pretty poor overall IMO, especially among major publishers.

Maybe Western 3rd parties. But those companies were never really good at making games for handhelds, for some reason. Still, we got some pretty great games from Activision, EA, Ubisoft and WB throughout the 3DS lifespan. Though most of the third party support came from SEGA, Namco, Capcom, Square-Enix and *especially* Atlus. Probably would have gotten more games out of Konami if Konami...y'know. Wasn't Konami, lulz. :p 

Revelations 2's rollout was kind of a mess anyway, and actually didn't skip portables entirely - it did come out on Vita! So...there is that. I think maybe Capcom was more focused on Monster Hunter when it came to 3DS at that point. :D Good point about indies, though. Those developers kept bringing games to the 3DS, whether it made sense or not. (Atooi :rose:)

18 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Not colorful = not cartoony? Because I'd argue those games make great use of color. 

Maybe? I'm not really 100% on what aesthetic we're talking about here. You aren't wrong, though. All of these games have wildly distinct looks...well, maybe not so much for Famicom Detective Club. That series is very much in the dead center of the visual novel aesthetic.

• Like 1

Still, we got some pretty great games from Activision, EA, Ubisoft and WB throughout the 3DS lifespan.

Uh no.  Those companies did even less of note for 3DS than they did on DS.

Though most of the third party support came from SEGA, Namco, Capcom, Square-Enix and *especially* Atlus. Probably would have gotten more

Capcom and Square Enix did a good bit.  Altus’ support for 3DS is still a step below what they’ve done on Switch.  I can’t for the life of me remember what Sega and Namco put on 3DS beyond anime games and Sonic.

I do think if the 3DS was the only portable in town, like Switch, it might have gotten more support.  The mere existence of the Vita at the time divided developer attention in Japan.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Uh no.  Those companies did even less of note for 3DS than they did on DS.

Capcom and Square Enix did a good bit.  Altus’ support for 3DS is still a step below what they’ve done on Switch.  I can’t for the life of me remember what Sega and Namco put on 3DS beyond anime games and Sonic.

I do think of the 3DS was the only portable in town, like Switch, it might have gotten more support.  The mere existence of the Vita at the time divided publisher attention I Japan.

It is true that all companies produced fewer games for the 3DS than the DS. Maybe even Nintendo themselves? But that doesn't take away from what I said. We still got some really good to legitimately great games from them. 

And c'mon, SEGA and Namco did more than just anime license games and freakin' Sonic on 3DS. Tekken, Ridge Racer, Ace Combat...none of that rings a bell? (and yeah, fine, Dragon Ball and One Piece, sure)As for SEGA? Shinobi, 7th Dragon 3, Rhythm Thief, Hatsune Miku...and their full line of 3D Classics dev'd by M2! And yeah, you're right. Sonic. Plus, both companies were involved (along with Capcom and even Nintendo) with the Project X Zone games! Which were awesome! Loved those. 

I feel you're being way too dismissive of the 3DS library. Not to say the Switch isn't in a better position (it is) but give the 3DS its due credit. :peace:

To each his own.  Most all of that screams easily dismissible to me.  Shinobi was the one that you jogged my memory most on, but more as a novelty.  (Just mentioning it reminds me I need to try that Strider metroidvania sometime)

It’s odd to repeatedly say EA/Ubisoft/Activision did good stuff but not give a single example, when you have for others.  I know the Ghost Recon TBS launch game is supposed to be good.  What else?