Update: FBI confirms that human remains belong to Brian Laundrie

210915142324-01-gabby-petito-super-tease
WWW.CNN.COM

The search for the now-missing fiancé of 22-year-old Gabby Petito is focused on a Florida nature reserve, where 50 officers from five local agencies and FBI agents scoured the area Saturday, according to...
15xp-vanlife4-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The parents of Brian Laundrie, whose fiancée, Gabrielle Petito, disappeared on a cross-country trip, say they haven’t seen their son in days, the police said.

This isn't really a national story. Crying white girl on video and a husband unwilling to talk about it means big media firestorm. 

They had a fight, he threw her out of the van and drove off. She either went back to the commune they had left and is just unable to be contacted, or went into the desert and died. He's either laying low now to avoid more firestorm, or he's retracing his steps. Or he went off and killed himself in a swamp. 

• Thanks 1

Brian Laundrie is also being investigated for the murder of a couple in Utah in August -- which received brief national attention a month ago.  They reported the fight between Brian and Gabby in August, and were found shot dead 2 days later.

There is a pretty good chance this dude has killed at least 3 women over the last month.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Brian Laundrie is also being investigated for the murder of a couple in Utah in August -- which received brief national attention a month ago.  They reported the fight between Brian and Gabby in August, and were found shot dead 2 days later.

There is a pretty good chance this dude has killed at least 3 women over the last month.

Well this is a lot more interesting now. 

EDIT: Cops are saying the two cases are unrelated. I remain disinterested. 

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

He's either laying low now to avoid more firestorm, or he's retracing his steps. Or he went off and killed himself in a swamp. 

“He’s either dead, looking for her, or in hiding.”

Yeah, those are the only three scenarios that make sense, dude. Thanks for the analysis. :p 

8 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

National media still loves them a "White girl is missing" story.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nature is healing from the trump presidency

I haven't heard anything about this story except seeing her face plastered all over headlines, but this was my thought as well.

If there was one nice, unintended consequence of the Trump years it was that there was little time to focus on generic lost white girl stories when the entire world was clearly burning.

Now the world is slightly less obviously burning, so here we are. Maybe an airplane will crash into the ocean next and that should take up about 5 months of media coverage.....

Everyone is saying he did it, and I think he probably did, but quite honestly I wouldn't blame him for the whole not speaking publicly and lawyering up stuff as soon as he got back. If you actually are innocent, I'm sure any lawyer would tell you to do the same. And fleeing (if that's what happened) after it starts getting national media attention... Also understandable.

Like, let's play devils advocate for a sec. They're out on a trail somewhere. Maybe it's just an accident and she falls down a hill. Maybe they get into another fight and he pushes her. Either case, he goes "oh FUCK" and panics. Maybe he's thinking "they're going to think I killed her, all the evidence is going to say I did, there's no one that can prove otherwise."  I have known people who have gone on the run because they got pulled over while on probation. That "oh shit" moment is a very powerful motivator to do dumb shit.

Basically I'm saying, assuming he DIDN'T do it... Put yourself in his shoes. People like to think that everyone acts rationally all the time, when that is emphatically not true, especially in times of distress.  You might think "he didn't call for help, he must have done it." You never know what you're going to do in situations like that until it happens. 

(That said I think he did it. I'm just saying the fact that he lawyered up as soon as he got home didn't necessarily indicate that. Not saying anything is probably the smartest thing he could have done, guilty or not)

(going on the run... not so smart)

27 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Everyone is saying he did it, and I think he probably did, but quite honestly I wouldn't blame him for the whole not speaking publicly and lawyering up stuff as soon as he got back. If you actually are innocent, I'm sure any lawyer would tell you to do the same. And fleeing (if that's what happened) after it starts getting national media attention... Also understandable.

Like, let's play devils advocate for a sec. They're out on a trail somewhere. Maybe it's just an accident and she falls down a hill. Maybe they get into another fight and he pushes her. Either case, he goes "oh FUCK" and panics. Maybe he's thinking "they're going to think I killed her, all the evidence is going to say I did, there's no one that can prove otherwise."  I have known people who have gone on the run because they got pulled over while on probation. That "oh shit" moment is a very powerful motivator to do dumb shit.

Basically I'm saying, assuming he DIDN'T do it... Put yourself in his shoes. People like to think that everyone acts rationally all the time, when that is emphatically not true, especially in times of distress.  You might think "he didn't call for help, he must have done it." You never know what you're going to do in situations like that until it happens. 

(That said I think he did it. I'm just saying the fact that he lawyered up as soon as he got home didn't necessarily indicate that. Not saying anything is probably the smartest thing he could have done, guilty or not)

To the first part, yes, but he did it, so we're not speculating the other way. :p 

Lawyer + waiting to declare her missing = I don't see any other rational explanation, never mind going missing shortly after.

Since it looks like the video of that van really did help solve where the body was, I have to think the discovery was made way easier due to the national profile of this case.

I mentioned to my gf when this began that Gabby fits the mold of many missing persons cases that get national attention, and there are other reasons that I think actually mattered a bit more, namely a clear suspect who wasn't talking and acting suspiciously (missing person declared Sep 11 even though she was missing for weeks). And as easy as it is to notice... if the case didn't go national, they might still be looking for a body, expending resources and personnel. 

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Screenshots from the video show likely the moments after she was murdered

There is no way currently to know this much less enough information to speculate this and the victim was very adamant about not having shoes on in the van, the person closing the door to the van could very well be the victim before she was killed. 

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Oh, absolutely. I have a childhood friend who is now a murder investigator, and he has said that innocent people often act far crazier than the actual perp. It's pretty much exactly what you said (except I don't believe that is the case here). They get scared thinking "There's no evidence I didn't do it!". Except there usually is evidence, and a good post mortem will usually prove it. 

He's even had innocent people hide bodies dead of natural causes out of fear.