Thor: Love and Thunder first look

Jane's line about it being 3 or 4 years could just be a joke about her not really paying attention to the time they've been separated, but it actually could be because she got Blipped, and to her it actually has only been 3 to 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

Jane's line about it being 3 or 4 years could just be a joke about her not really paying attention to the time they've been separated, but it actually could be because she got Blipped, and to her it actually has only been 3 to 4 years. 

Yeah, either could be true (or both). Based on the trailer, it sounds like she broke up with him or something and he hasn't taken it well since he remembers the exact amount of time perfectly, which matches with how Thor responds to someone in Ragnarok when they say: "sorry Jane dumped you". It's also weird to keep seeing Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman but no Sif? I figured she'd be back after appearing in Loki.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, either could be true (or both). Based on the trailer, it sounds like she broke up with him or something and he hasn't taken it well since he remembers the exact amount of time perfectly, which matches with how Thor responds to someone in Ragnarok when they say: "sorry Jane dumped you". It's also weird to keep seeing Tessa Thompson and Natalie Portman but no Sif? I figured she'd be back after appearing in Loki.

There was a “sorry Jane dumped you” exchange in Ragnarok, right?

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah there is, and Thor says (clearly not true) that it was a mutual dumping in response. I imagine we may get more details in this movie lol.

If they’re going back to the comics, could the breakup coincide with her Cancer diagnosis? Maybe from the results of her being imbued with the infinity stone element from Dark World.

• True 1

49 minutes ago, silentbob said:

If they’re going back to the comics, could the breakup coincide with her Cancer diagnosis? Maybe from the results of her being imbued with the infinity stone element from Dark World.

I might be mistaken, but I think Waititi said that her cancer wouldn't be a factor in the movie. 

• 1 month later...

I had our indoor theater closed today so I could work on a few things. Invited our staff to watch Thor and told my kids they cold come too.

My 13 year old declined because “it’ll be on Disney+ soon anyway”.

I immediately disowned him

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

how was it?

Didn’t get a chance to watch it. I’m in the middle of upgrading stuff in the booth in preparation of Atmos’ing our auditoriums, soooooo, ain’t no time to watch anything.

I’m also taking over a drive in up in Abilene next week so getting prepped for all of that

I thought Love and Thunder was fine. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Ragnarok. It's goofy and weird and expands the MCU in ways that feel both huge and unimportant. I feel like a lot of the character development that happens during the course of the film is glossed over and so many of the decisive moments feel unearned.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

The first example is how the film begins, with Thor getting back in shape, hanging out with the Guardians, and then deciding to move on. That arc alone might have been better than what we got in the film. Then Jane just goes to see Mjolnir and becomes Thor, completely off screen. There's a little flashback to explain why Mjolnir latched on to her, but the whole thing just felt very anti-climatic.

Then we have the whole thing with the city of the gods, which felt like it should have been a bigger deal, but was really just a bump in the road. The whole team went from "we really need an army" to "eh, let's just rip off Zeus and use his thunderbolt, that's plenty." I know not every MCU film needs to be an Avengers film, but it does seem odd for these characters to just completely ignore all the friends we know they have all over the freaking galaxy when they desperately need help, and instead go somewhere relatively foreign for all of them.  Of course, the movie is largely using all this for gags, some of which are funny, but many I thought fell flat.

In the end I think it's a perfectly serviceable and forgettable Marvel movie. It's not something I expect to revisit anytime soon.

• Halal 1

THOR-LOVE-AND-THUNDER-4-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

'Thor: Love And Thunder' Hammering $135M-$145M Opening Weekend

However, on the downside, and hopefully this doesn’t slow Thor: Love and Thunder‘s momentum today or for that matter for the rest of the summer, Marvel earns a back-to-back B+ CinemaScore here after Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 

Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits for general audiences is still sitting at 3 1/2 stars with a 77% positive, not far from Eternals’ 75%. If you take Sony’s Spider-Man: No Way Home, which got an A+ from audiences, out of the equation, that’s three Bs in a row from Disney/MCU going back to November’s Eternals (B).

While it isn’t hurting opening weekends yet, Marvel clearly has lost something in the last couple of years with audiences in the post End Game phase. I have noticed more customers with less enthusiastic responses to Thor and Eternals in particular.

Hopefully Feige and Co can make some adjustments and bring back the really crowd pleasing flicks that Marvel was trotting out for a decade straight.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While it isn’t hurting opening weekends yet, Marvel clearly has lost something in the last couple of years with audiences in the post End Game phase. I have noticed more customers with less enthusiastic responses to Thor and Eternals in particular.

Hopefully Feige and Co can make some adjustments and bring back the really crowd pleasing flicks that Marvel was trotting out for a decade straight.

Sounds like it got some bad word of mouth for queerbaiting.

But it's Disney so I'm not too surprised.

e89e6cce340dd27e3935ed380c00acd5.jpg
JEZEBEL.COM

Director Taika Waititi and cast member Natalie Portman promised us a very gay film. Sadly, it under delivered.

Thought it was super fun, but I'm a Taika mark so adjust your expectations accordingly. While I don't blame Portman for wanting to hop back on the train after Ragnarok, an awful lot of this movie is predicated on buying into a relationship we haven't seen on screen since Thor: The Dark World and I don't feel like they had great chemistry since the original Thor and that came out 11 years ago. I also wonder if there's a bunch of Tessa Thompson stuff on the cutting room floor, as she feels somewhat underutilized here.

But what we do get is fun. Bale is predictably great, Hemsworth really has the lovable, caring goofball side of Thor dialed in very well, and to the extent that they let Portman flex her chops, she does well also. There's a bunch of stuff that looks visually interesting, so between this and Strange 2, hopefully the movies can breathe a bit more in terms of look and color palette.

I think describing the current MCU performance as a “rich man’s problem” is right on the money. Disney is still printing money, but there is something off about the course of the MCU. The response is just not quite the same.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think describing the current MCU performance as a “rich man’s problem” is right on the money. Disney is still printing money, but there is something off about the course of the MCU. The response is just not quite the same.

I don't know if other ppl are like me.. but I've just been extremely busy and haven't gotten a chance to do much of anything, let alone see a movie. They should have predicted my schedule and released when I have more time. 

• True 2

I also think their early Disney+ release is also really hurting them at the box office. Why bother paying $100+ for a family to go out and see a movie when they can wait a month and half for the Disney+ stream to happen. One thing Covid did was allow people to learn how to wait things out. Even I don’t have that rush to go out and see movies at the theatres like I use too. Plus I haven’t caught up on my MCU movies. Still need to start with Black Widow and import my Japanese 3D Eternals, Dr Strange 2 and awaiting Thor: Love and Thunder announcement. Also, have they really setup anything for the next big Avengers Assemble moment with a threat yet. I know some are thinking Secret Invasion, again, I’m behind n my MCU movie stingers.

41 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I also think their early Disney+ release is also really hurting them at the box office. Why bother paying $100+ for a family to go out and see a movie when they can wait a month and half for the Disney+ stream to happen. One thing Covid did was allow people to learn how to wait things out. Even I don’t have that rush to go out and see movies at the theatres like I use too.

This does not explain the poor post viewing audience scores, while those poor scores DO explain the drops :p 

I think it’s lower because it feels like it’s treading water story wise. Everything leading up to Avengers movies felt must see so you didn’t miss any of the story. Currently it kinda feels like they’re still waiting around for the new big story to kick in. 

Also to be honest, other than Thor, this current batch of hero’s just isn’t as good or have the same mass appeal as Capt America and Iron Man imo. They used to only do a crazy space/fantasy movie every once in awhile. Now they’re all the time. Maybe the mass audience prefers the more grounded hero’s and only wants the weird stuff in small batches 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I think it’s lower because it feels like it’s treading water story wise. Everything leading up to Avengers movies felt must see so you didn’t miss any of the story. Currently it kinda feels like they’re still waiting around for the new big story to kick in. 

Also to be honest, other than Thor, this current batch of hero’s just isn’t as good or have the same mass appeal as Capt America and Iron Man imo. They used to only do a crazy space/fantasy movie every once in awhile. Now they’re all the time. Maybe the mass audience prefers the more grounded hero’s and only wants the weird stuff in small batches 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do wonder if the series getting more and more off earth might alienate viewers who aren’t as tuned in to the series? I really have no solid idea on what is driving this slight souring on MCU films.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I do wonder if the series getting more and more off earth might alienate viewers who aren’t as tuned in to the series? I really have no solid idea on what is driving this slight souring on MCU films.

I think we just don't know where it's going right now, is it Kang? He's only been in Loki, is it someone else? I know the multiverse is at stake and I suspect the results end up with a universe that has Mutants, but it's all very confusing right now as I suspect they're just laying groundwork.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:15 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Thought it was super fun, but I'm a Taika mark so adjust your expectations accordingly. While I don't blame Portman for wanting to hop back on the train after Ragnarok, an awful lot of this movie is predicated on buying into a relationship we haven't seen on screen since Thor: The Dark World and I don't feel like they had great chemistry since the original Thor and that came out 11 years ago. I also wonder if there's a bunch of Tessa Thompson stuff on the cutting room floor, as she feels somewhat underutilized here.

But what we do get is fun. Bale is predictably great, Hemsworth really has the lovable, caring goofball side of Thor dialed in very well, and to the extent that they let Portman flex her chops, she does well also. There's a bunch of stuff that looks visually interesting, so between this and Strange 2, hopefully the movies can breathe a bit more in terms of look and color palette.

QFT

On 7/17/2022 at 11:26 AM, sblfilms said:

I know the idea of “superhero fatigue” gets waved away every time one of these things has a good opening weekend. But seriously, this is the 12th(?) slice of MCU content in a year and a half. Just speaking anecdotally from an admittedly small sample size, the people in my life who love the MCU the most still watch pretty much everything, but there’s not a lot of enthusiasm left for any of it. No Way Home really popped, but other than that, nothing has really moved the needle. 

I do wonder how much they’re going to try to build up to another Endgame style thing and what the timeline on that is gonna be. If they’re going to keep pumping out movies and TV series at this pace, it’s not going to take long before they simply have far too many plates to spin.