Thor: Love and Thunder first look

Yeah, we were very late to this and finally saw it in the theater a week before it came out on D+.

It was very much there. Lots of individual scenes were fun, but as a cohesive whole, this movie was a weird mess. It wasn't total trash, but it felt really forgettable and pointless.

It's hard for me to even get worked up enough to say much of anything about it good or bad. Definitely lower tier Marvel.

• Halal 1

I thought it was fine, but I also agree it was a little bit of a mess.

Also put some respect in Chris Hemsworth's name. The way he can play both a character and a caricature at the same time and switch between both of them in one scene while still seeming entirely genuine is incredible 

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 5:12 PM, ort said:

Yeah, we were very late to this and finally saw it in the theater a week before it came out on D+.

It was very much there. Lots of individual scenes were fun, but as a cohesive whole, this movie was a weird mess. It wasn't total trash, but it felt really forgettable and pointless.

It's hard for me to even get worked up enough to say much of anything about it good or bad. Definitely lower tier Marvel.

My wife and I finally saw this last weekend and this is where I land. A lot of individually fun and funny scenes, but the whole film moved way too fast (as usual for films these days, not enough scenes that are allowed to breathe) and it didn't have as good music or as tight a screenplay as Ragnarok, which I loved. I'll watch it again down the road to get a better sense of it, but it felt like a lot of flash and style at a mile a minute but the story and character work felt threadbare. It gets better in the second half on that front, and I certainly enjoyed the movie, but it didn't make me feel nearly as much as I expected.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I didn’t even finish it. I’m done with marvel for quite a while… I hope

I was far more impressed with Eternals, which was a film that felt like it had scale and weight to it, whereas Doctor Strange 2 and Thor: Love & Thunder just felt like lazy Sam Raimi and lazy Taika Waititi while at the same time stuck doing the whole in-house MCU continuity, etc. stuff. Movies moved way too fast, felt overstuffed with action, and the quipping and jokiness sometimes does get borderline grating these days. Rewatches may help but yeah.

• Halal 1

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I finally got around to it and really enjoyed it :twothumbsup: Bale was great and the ending actually made me tear up a bit! The humor worked as well much funnier than the first half of GotG2 which felt like it was trying too hard.

I didn’t mind the last movie, but I think the forced humour was worse here then GotG2. I agree with you that it can be an emotional movie when it focuses on that material, but gots bogged down by trying to get a laugh. It’s still watchable but a letdown after Ragnarok