Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s interesting, that doesn’t seem to match my experience with rt performance or digital foundry’s findings at least in regards to RT amount. They said that the amount of objects that reflect is the same it’s just a lower resolution quality basically.

It’s definitely not reflecting things as far off in the distance - if it is, the resolution must be so much lower that it’s no longer noticeable.

I also didn’t really notice the lod change and I don’t recall that being reported but could be wrong/not noticing on that one. The pedestrian traffic is lowered so that will def make it seem more empty, but it’s still pretty good compared to other games.

By LOD I’m referencing the draw distance for pedestrians/npcs specifically. You basically see nothing on the streets except occasional cars while web-swinging in RT Performance. In Fidelity it still seems like a city :p 

Either way, the fidelity mode obviously looks better and amazing still..when you are standing still. To me that hit from 60fps to 30fps isn’t acceptable with the performance rt mode available and the regular performance mode loses way too much obviously with no ray tracing, so neither are really an option anymore for me.

The 30fps is indeed rough, but the drop in visuals, mainly the emptiness below, hurt it immensely for me. If it were just the difference in RT quality, the choice would be easy :p 

31 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s definitely not reflecting things as far off in the distance - if it is, the resolution must be so much lower that it’s no longer noticeable.

By LOD I’m referencing the draw distance for pedestrians/npcs specifically. You basically see nothing on the streets except occasional cars while web-swinging in RT Performance. In Fidelity it still seems like a city :p 

The 30fps is indeed rough, but the drop in visuals, mainly the emptiness below, hurt it immensely for me. If it were just the difference in RT quality, the choice would be easy :p 

Ah ok, I was just thinking of the population of the city as it just generating less period not a draw distance thing but that makes sense.

I think it’s probably just when I’m on the ground it looks good in that regard and when I’m swinging through the city I just don’t notice it since it’s so fast and I’m busy being fancy.

And then I’m too busy figuring out if this is really how we used to play Spider-man in fidelity mode to notice for comparison!

Options are good since everyone has their preference when a compromise has to be made but yeah sometimes choosing between a few locked options is hard. For me when it was 60fps no RT or 30 fps RT, that’s when it was hard to choose.

I’m hoping more Sony studio games have a similar third option so I’m not going to spend half the gen having to decide between those two until the pro.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ah ok, I was just thinking of the population of the city as it just generating less period not a draw distance thing but that makes sense.

I think it’s probably just when I’m on the ground it looks good in that regard and when I’m swinging through the city I just don’t notice it since it’s so fast and I’m busy being fancy.

And then I’m too busy figuring out if this is really how we used to play Spider-man in fidelity mode to notice for comparison!

Options are good since everyone has their preference when a compromise has to be made but yeah sometimes choosing between a few locked options is hard. For me when it was 60fps no RT or 30 fps RT, that’s when it was hard to choose.

I’m hoping more Sony studio games have a similar third option so I’m not going to spend half the gen having to decide between those two until the pro.

It makes me almost wish I just waited on a Pro :nottalking: 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It makes me almost wish I just waited on a Pro :nottalking: 

I just booted it up to try to see what you were talking about to it being bad to that degree. Swinging around the city and trying to look below me I wasn’t really noticing it much, still could see a decent amount of people I thought.

Now, I’m not saying it isn’t a real issue, I’m just saying I quickly realized what I was doing and stopped myself before I did notice it!

10 hours ago, stepee said:

I just booted it up to try to see what you were talking about to it being bad to that degree. Swinging around the city and trying to look below me I wasn’t really noticing it much, still could see a decent amount of people I thought.

Now, I’m not saying it isn’t a real issue, I’m just saying I quickly realized what I was doing and stopped myself before I did notice it!

When you’re swinging low, there’s some NPCs and more cars, if you’re high-up, the city almost seems abandoned. It became very apparent when I switched back to fidelity mode. It’s like noticing “halo-ing” on a non-OLED/CRT/Plasma display: once you see it, it’s forever noticeable.

• Pikachu changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (12 November 2020) OT - Be Yourself, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...

This was a lot of fun. You are getting a shorter main story with fewer bosses, and I quite enjoyed the bosses in Spider-Man for the PS4, but the few there are are quite spectacular. I wrapped up some side missions after the main story and will likely try NG+ down the line to secure a plat.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my PS5 and aside from a few minutes in Astro's Playground the remaster is the first thing I'm playing, and I think it's a pretty good place to start. Playing in performance RT mode and it looks great. I originally played on release on a base PS4, so playing now on the PS5 with a 4K OLED TV and it looks great. The upgraded textures make a huge difference, and obviously RT is really great in this game. I haven't noticed the reflections being low quality, but I haven't really taken a close look. I can say that they make a huge difference both in a lot of the interior sections and obviously in the buildings while swinging around. 

While swinging around I've come to appreciate the triggers on the new controllers. It's not a huge thing, but I like how they have it setup with the resistance and the nice click. Certainly a PS5 feature I look forward to experiencing in other games. The effective lack of loading times is another PS5 highlight, it really streamlines an already excellent game.

I also just wanted to again heap some praise on the game itself. Since playing through the first time I've played through a lot of other single player games. In particular I got on a bit of an Assassins' Creed quarantine binge. I've put maybe 10 hours into Valhalla, but haven't been too motivated to continue on. It's an unfair comparison in many ways, but Spider-Man still looks so many third person action games feel old and busted by comparison.

Both while traversing the world and in combat, it's so fluid and exciting. More than perhaps any other game I can pull off the cool thing I want to. In so many games, including many of the AC titles, I end up looking like a buffoon, swinging wildly at nothing, not making a jump or climbing awkwardly around a structure. Despite the comparative speed of Spider-Man, and the range of actions available, I can almost always hit my mark. I loved it when it first came out, and I might be enjoying it even more this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this right after going through the remaster, which really shows how much less there is in this one. It occupies an odd space in that by having the full city available it feels like a full game, but it definitely isn't. There's less to do and far less to earn. I feel like they tuned the progression system for people that mostly just play story missions, and that's kind of a bummer. I'd rather have had more unlocks available, even if they were middling updates, especially with a bunch of stuff locked behind new game plus.

I think they were on a good path with making Miles play differently from Peter, but it wasn't quite fleshed out all the way. Especially with the invisibility. It hardly ever felt necessary, and I personally found it more fun and exciting to just fight my way through most situations.

I played through on Performance RT and thought it looked good, but it's not a huge difference from the Remaster. They're excellent benchmarks to set for a new console, but I'll be excited to see what they're able to do in a full sequel.

Which is really what this game made me want more than anything. These games are a ton of fun to play, and I'm glad we got the remaster and this game to tide us over until a full sequel is ready.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
609b15c80dea5331aa38036efbb359515e065a38
SUPPORT.INSOMNIAC.GAMES

General Fixes & Polish Global stability fixes and performance improvements Improvements to ray-traced reflection quality in the Performance RT graphics mode Fix for an issue with motion blur o...

Miles updated so performance rt reflections are closer to fidelity. Insomniac is in pure show off mode for this gen now.

• 11 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales announced for PC (12 August 2022 and Autumn 2022 respectively)

Miles Morales is also coming to the PC in the autumn:

0c3c20a8d8514501524a0859461f391572ea6e61
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Insomniac Games’ critically acclaimed titles launch on PC this year.

We will have more details to share about both Marvel’s Spider-Man PC games as we approach their respective launches. For now, we can reveal that Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered will launch on PC on August 12, 2022 while Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales will launch on PC in Fall 2022.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales announced for PC (12 August 2022 and Autumn 2022, respectively)
  • 1 month later...