Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

[Console] gamers don't know what bells and whistles they are getting and don't notice most of the time.

I agree, I think it's more in terms of presentation - to outdo the competition, which entices gamers and they want games pushing things to the max. They arguably don't notice frame rates that much either.

I think it's pretty demonstrably true that most gamers tend to prefer better visuals over a higher frame rate.

Still, as we see more and more games go cross platform, cross gen, in addition to having different consoles within a generation, I think it's reasonable to expect that "performance" and "quality" modes will be available on more and more games.

I'd love to see updated stats on which mode most people use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4/PS5) OT - Be Yourself, update: PS5 Gameplay Demo
  • Pikachu changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man (07 September 2018) OT - Be Greater
  • Pikachu changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man (07 September 2018) OT - Be Greater (Update: Remastered Performance Mode Footage)
13 minutes ago, Brick said:

Why did they change Peter's look? He looks like discount Tom Holland now. 

This does bring us to one of the bigger changes. In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

8 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I've seen some people speculate that it might be the same model used in Avengers?

So it sounds like either the original actor wasn't available anymore, or yeah they're trying to fuse this Spider-Man with the Avengers world. Either way this is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of using the likeness of real people as video game characters. Come up with an original looking character and you won't have to worry about this sort of thing. There are exceptions of course, but really I prefer characters that are original, rather than modeled after someone I can go, "Hey I know that guy!". 

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

60 FPS mode on this and Miles Morales? Count me in. I just didn't think this game felt good at 30 FPS. 

The framerate isn't the biggest culprit though.  There's a very heavy input buffer window.  Enough to make you feel like you can do anything... including the things you swear you never told the game to do.

It's not a precision game, so it kinda works.

Also if it's true that they'll use this model in The Avengers, again not a good plan when people are already complaining that the characters in that game look like the stunt doubles for the movie actors, and they get a poor man's Tom Holland to be Spidey. 

It's a shame they went with a younger looking actor and not older. One of the most refreshing things about the PS4 Spider-Man game was that it took place after Peter had been Spidey for a while. I'm so over the Spiderman origin rehash over and over again. He's been perpetually 16 in the comics for years now, when in the older books he was already getting into his 30's by the time they rebooted him.

Not that he actually will be younger in the game, he'll be the same age as he was before.. but just the fact that he's back to looking like more of a kid is kind of a bummer. I miss adult spidey.

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's a shame they went with a younger looking actor and not older. One of the most refreshing things about the PS4 Spider-Man game was that it took place after Peter had been Spidey for a while. I'm so over the Spiderman origin rehash over and over again. He's been perpetually 16 in the comics for years now, when in the older books he was already getting into his 30's by the time they rebooted him.

Not that he actually will be younger in the game, he'll be the same age as he was before.. but just the fact that he's back to looking like more of a kid is kind of a bummer. I miss adult spidey.

What Spider-Man comics currently has him as 16?

28 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Is it weird we're seeing more previews and show pieces for a game that's been out for a while instead of their PS5 launch game? You'd think they'd be pimping Miles Morales a bit more.

I mean aren't they the same game?  Just new story/character for Miles Morales?

I'm gonna assume the tech and performance are pretty much the same on both.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I mean aren't they the same game?  Just new story/character for Miles Morales?

I'm gonna assume the tech and performance are pretty much the same on both.

I mean, they're using the old game to sell the new game. Their marketing is backwards. At this point they might as well say "Buy the Spidey remaster and get Miles Morales."

I just wish they'd talk about the new one more. Aside from the one video clip, we don't know much about it. And it comes out in a month.

• Guillotine 1