Marvel's Spider-Man (Be Greater) and Miles Morales (Be Yourself) OT - update: Miles Morales PC release on 18 November 2022

Pikachu

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

But it's also not a sequel? :confused:

Think of it as a side story, or a midway point to the sequel. Takes place after the first game, features Miles as the main character, and will probably help set a few things up for the proper sequel featuring Peter again, continuing from that game's story. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Being unfamiliar with those, I still don't get it. 

inFAMOUS: First Light took the Fetch character from Second Son and gave her her own game. It took place in half of Second Son's open world (so a new world wasn't built for the game) and had its own story for Fetch and different side missions, plus an arena mode. It was shorter than Second Son and served as a prequel to it. You could buy it and not even own Second Son, but it wasn't a continuation of the story.

Uncharted 4 is around a 20 hour single-player experience plus its multiplayer mode. Lost Legacy was made VERY quickly -- one year -- and used the same engine and graphics as 4. Instead of a new journey for Nate, it was a story involving Chloe, a popular and long-standing side character, plus Nadine, who was a new character in 4. It was more the length of a PS3 Uncharted. The multiplayer mode was the same as 4's, so you could play with Uncharted 4 players. While it's its own game and can be played without having touched 4, it serves more as a side story with a different character. It's a full-length game, though.

It's different from something like Horizon: Frozen Wilds because that expansion gets implemented into Horizon Zero Dawn's world. 

Dying Light had an expansion that was the same thing. The expansion was called The Following, and you could play it by itself, but it looked the same as Dying Light and was shorter in length.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

inFAMOUS: First Light took the Fetch character from Second Son and gave her her own game. It took place in half of Second Son's open world (so a new world wasn't built for the game) and had its own story for Fetch and different side missions, plus an arena mode. It was shorter than Second Son and served as a prequel to it. You could buy it and not even own Second Son, but it wasn't a continuation of the story.

Uncharted 4 is around a 20 hour single-player experience plus its multiplayer mode. Lost Legacy was made VERY quickly -- one year -- and used the same engine and graphics as 4. Instead of a new journey for Nate, it was a story involving Chloe, a popular and long-standing side character, plus Nadine, who was a new character in 4. It was more the length of a PS3 Uncharted. The multiplayer mode was the same as 4's, so you could play with Uncharted 4 players. While it's its own game and can be played without having touched 4, it serves more as a side story with a different character. It's a full-length game, though.

It's different from something like Horizon: Frozen Wilds because that expansion gets implemented into Horizon Zero Dawn's world. 

Dying Light had an expansion that was the same thing. The expansion was called The Following, and you could play it by itself, but it looked the same as Dying Light and was shorter in length.

I am confused can you dumb it down a bit, I also need more in depth descriptions about other similar games

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am confused can you dumb it down a bit, I also need more in depth descriptions about other similar games

???

He said he knows little about those games and hasn't played them. A description seems like a good idea? :confused:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

???

He said he knows little about those games and hasn't played them. A description seems like a good idea? :confused:

I was just joking with ya, you couldnt have described better. If Sony had done 1/2 of what you had in your post we wouldnt be having this conversation.

• Thanks 1

"Standalone game" is a completely meaningless term because all games are standalone.

That's why things like this are more typically called standalone expansions. It gives you all the info you need: The game will likely be using the same engine, a lot of the same (or dressed up) assets from the original game, but does not require the original game (hence standalone), is generally the length of an expansion pack (hence standalone expansion, and expansions tend to fall on the side of between 10%-40% the length of the main game, depends on the genre and the quality of the expansion, so there's a lot of variance, but expansions are almost always less than half the length of the main title, and often much less than that) and due to all this, they're not sequels or "proper" new games. If you told someone this was the next Spiderman game, they would inevitably end up disappointed, because it's going to be shorter, have a ton of the same assets, and likely play near identically unless they're planning for some turbo speed travel with the SSD or something.

But you tell them it's a standalone expansion instead, and it immediately sets the correct expectations. It's not a derogatory term, which apparently developers or publishers think it is; it's just an explanative one. Far Cry: Blood Dragon was a standalone expansion and a lot of people liked it more than the main game, so there should be no stigma about using the more accurate terminology.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Thanks, that definitely helped. So something like Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine from Witcher 3, if those had been released as something standalone experiences instead of having to be installed on top of the base game and then being accessible the main game world with your main game character buildout/inventory/etc.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks, that definitely helped. So something like Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine from Witcher 3, if those had been released as something standalone experiences instead of having to be installed on top of the base game and then being accessible the main game world with your main game character buildout/inventory/etc.

Yes, that's exactly correct. You would never mistake that product for The Witcher 4 if you knew anything about The Witcher 3.

• Thanks 1

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – An update from Insomniac Games (PlayStation Blog)

Hi! I’m Brian Horton, Creative Director at Insomniac Games. Last week, we were so thrilled to introduce you to the beginning of your Marvel’s Spider-Man journey on PlayStation 5 – Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales. This standalone game lets players experience the rise of Miles Morales as he discovers new powers that set him apart from his mentor, Peter Parker.

The reaction we received last week was nothing short of incredible. But we wanted to take a little bit of extra time to talk about the game and the trailer you saw and point out some things you might’ve missed. Take a look above.

At Insomniac Games, we’ve loved the character of Miles Morales for a long time. It started years ago, when Bryan Intihar (Creative Director, Marvel’s Spider-Man), suggested that we should have Miles Morales be a part of the same universe as Peter Parker. We sneakily introduced him at the end of our E3 2017 demo, surprising the audience when they thought the PlayStation Briefing was over.

As we continued with the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe, we knew that Miles’s origin story as a Spider-Man was something that needed its own game. Miles’s multicultural background reflects a more modern, diverse world and we wanted to give players a new story, with new set-pieces, fresh villains, and unique quests across Marvel’s New York City. This had to be a can’t-miss next adventure in the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe.

Let’s set the scene for the game a little more. It’s now wintertime, about a year after the events of the first game. Marvel’s New York is covered in snow, and just before Christmas break, a war between an energy corporation and a high-tech criminal army has broken out. Miles’s new home in Harlem is at the heart of the battle.

We know a lot of you want to know how big this game is. Our team at Insomniac has been working incredibly hard to bring you a fantastic Miles Morales adventure since we concluded development on Marvel’s Spider-Man. You’ll experience a full story arc with Miles, one that’s more akin to a game like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in terms of overall scope. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is an important, heartfelt, emotional and essential experience to expanding the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe. And we hope it will be for you as well.

We are also excited for the game to demonstrate the power of PlayStation 5 this holiday. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales will show off near-instant loading, ray-tracing, 3D audio and the DualSense controller. We’ve upgraded our characters with 4D scans and improved skin shading for more realistic looking characters and spline-based hair that moves far more naturally. Many of the city’s assets have also been updated to take advantage of the new console. As you experience Miles’s story, you’ll see, hear, and feel things in a whole new way, all thanks to PS5.

It’s been amazing to be creative director on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, working with such an incredible team. I joined Insomniac near the end of Marvel’s Spider-Man, and being able to collaborate with our team and Marvel to create a new story and experience all around Miles Morales has been a career highlight. It’s been great to also work with Bryan Intihar, who directed the first game, as he continues to imagine big things for the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe.

Oh and one last thing: Many of you fans have wondered if Peter Parker is OK. Don’t worry, we still have much of Peter’s story left to tell. But this game is all about Miles, a critical part of our Spider-Man universe, and you won’t want to miss what happens.

Thank you so much for the incredible reaction to our game last week, and for all of the kind words on social media. We’re so looking forward to getting to spend more time with you in the coming months to reveal more of the game we’ve all been working on.

We can’t wait to see you swinging through a wintery Marvel’s New York City this holiday. For all the latest, be sure to follow Insomniac Games on Instagram and Twitter.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I wish 4k/60fps rather than 4k/bells and whistles (but 30fps) was the default - hopefully this is an option with every game going forward.

It really should be the standard to have a "Performance Mode" in all games going forward with minimum 60fps.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, agreed 100%. I think bare minimum should definitely be 4K/60fps. If not 4K, at least 60fps.

Looking at what's happening now, I kind of doubt that's will be where we'll be at.

We don't know how far Spiderman MM is pushing visuals, world structure, CPU tasks, etc, beyond the current generation.  It's presumed to be grafted onto the last game to some degree.  That could have made a 4K 60fps performance mode more tenable.  With Horizon 2 or a hypothetical like Red Dead Redemption 3, I wouldn't be holding my breath.  

AC Vahalla is another example.  It's clearly a current-get plus sort of game.  But Ubisoft is tempering expectations, making no promise they'll be able to get it to 60fps.  That should be a bit concerning.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Looking at what's happening now, I kind of doubt that's will be where we'll be at.

We don't know how far Spiderman MM is pushing visuals, world structure, CPU tasks, etc, beyond the current generation.  It's presumed to be grafted onto the last game to some degree.  That could have made a 4K 60fps performance mode more tenable.  With Horizon 2 or a hypothetical like Red Dead Redemption 3, I wouldn't be holding my breath.  

AC Vahalla is another example.  It's clearly a current-get plus sort of game.  But Ubisoft is tempering expectations, making no promise they'll be able to get it to 60fps.  That should be a bit concerning.

I mean, I agree completely, but a man can hope. :p I'll be primarily gaming on PC anyway, so it's a moot point for me, except where exclusives that never come to PC from PS5 are concerned. In those rare instances, I'll have to suffer accordingly, but I hope 60fps locked becomes an option at least some of the time. Death Stranding being such a good PC port for the most part (except with Kojima's artistic restrictions, not technical ones) is a good sign for the Decima Engine at least.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

So would 1080p be 60fps, bells and whistles?

Totally depends on the game.  Next-gen AAA with (semi-) heavy raytracing effects could be limited to native 1080p @ 30fps on consoles. 1440p perhaps if they're lucky.  We'll be seeing some upscaling from those resolutions regardless.

It makes performance modes a foregone conclusion in the next console cycle.  Though I anticipate some developers will break out of the mold with optomizations.

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

As a lazy gamer, who fucking cares. Just make a fun game 

Ignorance can be bliss. If you can’t be bothered to decide between performance and quality mode, don’t enter the settings menu?

Those who care about the difference between 1080p and 4K, 30fps and 60fps, RT on/off, etc can do their thing.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude cable networks still broadcast 720p.

Yeah but so much else is available in 4K, and it's only going to grow as the years go on, so these consoles should be future proofing themselves a little. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

4K should be standard going into this gen. 4K is finally at a high enough availability. Do they even make 1080p TVs still? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-40-1080p-hdtv-led/6398122.p?skuId=6398122&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=850&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-7vnond6gIVCx-tBh29YwpWEAQYASABEgLj4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

8 hours ago, Brick said:

4K should be standard going into this gen. 4K is finally at a high enough availability. Do they even make 1080p TVs still? 

I mean, as prevalent as 4K has now become, 1080p is still the norm for most average gamers on what they game on. But the only way to forge new standards is to foist them on people, so I'm all for 4K/60fps.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, as prevalent as 4K has now become, 1080p is still the norm for most average gamers on what they game on. But the only way to forge new standards is to foist them on people, so I'm all for 4K/60fps.

Well yeah because most of them don't own a PS4 Pro or One X, they just have the base models probably, so with the new consoles supporting 4K right out of the gate, I'm sure a lot of people are going to eventually upgrade their TVs.