Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (First Half of 2023?) - Information Thread, update: release postponed to first half of 2023
Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its doubly sad because any delay in Starfield means a push out for ES6, no matter what they say on that subject.

Which in turns pushes out FO, which in turn pushes out Starfield 2 to the point where we will actually be living in space.

• Haha 1

MS's first party output is turning into a long-running gag that just isn't funny anymore.

Someone legit needs to tell Phil it's time to take off the belt. SOMETHING needs to get fuckin the wheels turning in their studios. Just seems there's a bunch of cats getting fat off that MS titty and not actually producing anything.

Seeing as these were the only games MS had coming out this year, what exactly is the point of them even having an "E3" show this year if everything they have there is going to release after the show they'll have next year?

If these two games are coming out first half of next year they'll probably push back anything they had originally planned for that time frame, meaning well over a year before anything else releases.

For 2022 it's actually true that Xbox has no games. Maybe Forza Motorsport will release, maybe, but I don't care about sim racers.

This is one of the down sides to a service like Gamepass. As long as the overall product remains a good proposition in the minds of gamers, then they will keep their subscriptions, and MS profits quarterly whether they have a major set of titles or not. Naturally this can't go on forever, but it does add to the reasons they won't feel the heat. 

Both games will be at the Microsoft showcase on the 12th. We will be able to see if the first half of 2023 is at all realistic. I assume Starfield will happen holiday 2023

Also Microsoft knows Kirby has wrapped up GOTY 2022 so might as well delay it until next year 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

MS's first party output is turning into a long-running gag that just isn't funny anymore.

Someone legit needs to tell Phil it's time to take off the belt. SOMETHING needs to get fuckin the wheels turning in their studios. Just seems there's a bunch of cats getting fat off that MS titty and not actually producing anything.

Their first party studios are delivering, we got Deathloop in fall and then just got Ghostwire last month. It’s just having issues releasing games that aren’t exclusive for their competitor. 

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

Their first party studios are delivering, we got Deathloop in fall and then just got Ghostwire last month. It’s just having issues releasing games that aren’t exclusive for their competitor. 

Both games that were already in development before MS bought them (hence the Playstation deals). Projects that started afterwards have either been shrouded in mystery, been nothing more than a title on a screen, have seen multiple delays, or are just nebulous projects that we only kind of know about (Compulsion's mystery title).

Microsoft stringing us along on nothing but promises, and this is coming from primarily an Xbox gamer. I'm starting to feel like I"m in high school again and the lead cheerleader keeps promising me second base every time I take her to the movies, but keeps ditching me once we get there.

26 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Both games that were already in development before MS bought them (hence the Playstation deals). Projects that started afterwards have either been shrouded in mystery, been nothing more than a title on a screen, have seen multiple delays, or are just nebulous projects that we only kind of know about (Compulsion's mystery title).

Microsoft stringing us along on nothing but promises, and this is coming from primarily an Xbox gamer. I'm starting to feel like I"m in high school again and the lead cheerleader keeps promising me second base every time I take her to the movies, but keeps ditching me once we get there.

I was just playin, I get the issue. MS has been all about “the first party games are coming!” for a long time. Last year was a good year in a way but yeah Psyconauts 2 was already in dev and multi platform, and then for the other big ones you are back to Halo/Forza as it has been since 360.

• True 1

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's entirely plausible they're poorly managed, but until demonstrated otherwise, I think it's safer to assume the game devs are already overworked :p 

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

15 of their first party's have released new games or significant updates/expansions to their games since 2020.  Just because they weren't exclusives doesn't mean they didn't put anything out.

Delays obvioulsy suck, but I think everyone can agree that it's much better to delay games and get them right than push them out just to fill in gaps in a schedule.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

With all of the backlogs and games that we all own and haven't really played does anybody really give a shit? We'll survive.

These are the same complainers of "nothing on netflix" they zero in on one thing and nothing else exists for them.

• True 1

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

With all of the backlogs and games that we all own and haven't really played does anybody really give a shit? We'll survive.

So true. If all future gaming development just disappeared one day, I'm probably set for life. I'm around 470 games just on my Playstation account between purchases and ps+ games. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, DarkStar189 said:

So true. If all future gaming development just disappeared one day, I'm probably set for life. I'm around 470 games just on my Playstation account. 

Not to mention all of the DLC'S... I JUST started playing the expansions I bought for The Division 2, Doom Eternal and Uncharted 4 this week after owning them for years.

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
qTtFT2sZZmAzNGZQQLzCNa-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer believes Starfield will be a "hallmark for us" following the Bethesda acquisition

This is my most anticipated game. I'm fine with the delay now because I want a polished gaming experience at launch for once.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (First Half of 2023?) - Information Thread, update: Todd Howard claims that the "finishing touches" are being put on the game (OLOLOLOLOLOLO)

I still think the gameplay looked choppy. I've seen others comment on it too. 

Game is incredibly beautiful, and im excited to play it, but I definitely believe the stories by Schreier and others, because Bethesda has disappointed me so many times.

Graphically though, it is stunning.

The gunplay looks pretty poor. There was very little movement from either the player or the enemies. I'm interested in low/zero G combat, but far from convinced they can make it fun. The guns seem pretty standard, and overall it just looked bland.Graphically it was about what I would expect from it; good but not spectacular. The environmental detail looks excellent and the lighting engine is doing some work, but the faces and animation don't live up to the highest standards. The star system view looked really bad, but hopefully that's just a work in progress.

Unfortunately the Bethesda jank still seems present. After playing Forbidden West, I don't know if I can go back to a big RPG where the camera just snaps to the face of everyone we talk to. There were some camera movement in dialog scenes, so hopefully there's more of that and less straight on camera shots.

The two things that really blew me away were the base and ship customization and the sheer size of it. I can easily imagine spending a lot of time building my perfect ship (or fleet, if that's a thing). Having NMS like planets while also still having a bunch of hand crafted locations seems like an ideal setup. I just hope that they did spend enough time building out the cities and outposts and what not so that the core planets feel substantial and purposeful. I'm sure that 990 or so planets will be algorithmically generated blandness, and that's fine, as long as there is enough well crafted stuff to play in.

I do hope that we get NMS style travel, while also having some kind of fast travel. The solar system view had you choosing a landing spot, so some kind of fast travel is obviously included. We didn't see ground to space travel, which I hope is included.

It also seems like a modder's dream to have a huge game like this where things can be added. It'll be a largely blank canvas that we'll see expanded on for years (assuming it's any good). It really feels like they're leaning into the idea that they want this game to be another Skyrim, a game where people can spend 1000s of hours over a decade.

• Halal 1

Mixed on this.

Positives:

World graphics looked excellent.

Ship customization looked really cool.

Negatives

Characters still have that Bethesda stiff robot-ness where they all like you're interacting with animatronics that talk at you. 

Combat looked really bland/weightless

Not sure how I feel about the laser mining (Looks exactly like what I've gotten bored of in NMS).