Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

I took the day off and am currently playing Starfield once more. Somehow My level 100 character save got wiped, so I'm now level 39. I suppose this give me a reason to play again. Its not a bad game, its just not a great game. So why am I playing it? Because I've always liked BGS gameplay, jank and all, and I just came off a Fallout 4 run. Skyrim gets played through every other year. I'd play earlier entries in the FO/ES series, but it does seem likely we'll be seeing some remakes in the next 1-2 years, so I'll hold off for those. 

• Halal 2

I was playing Cyberpunk just now and then immediately booted up Starfield to compare visuals. 

I was completely taken by surprise that Starfield does in fact look better (although 30fps sucks) with better textures etc. Starfield looks incredible so that is one thing I can't knock it for. Now I'm only talking about consoles here. I know on PC Cyberpunk looks absolutely insane with pathtracing. 

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
WWW.IGN.COM

Bethesda fans won’t have to wait too much longer before they finally get their hands on Starfield’s first expansion, Shattered Space, and there is a lot more content on the way, too.

But the space was already shattered? It was fragmented into 10 billion loading screens...

• True 2

BETHESDA.NET

Starfield’s largest update since launch is coming on May 15! The May Update includes more detailed surface maps; new gameplay difficulty options and display settings; new features for ship customization and more!  

Starfield’s largest update since launch is coming on May 15! The May Update includes more detailed surface maps; new gameplay difficulty options and display settings; new features for ship customization and more!

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15
2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But what will it break? :daydream:

Frame Rate Target: You can now choose between 30, 40, 60 or an Uncapped frame rate on VRR displays. If you do not have a VRR display running 120hz, you will still be able to select from 30 or 60. Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display.

Yes.

Oh interesting, they're un-BGSing the game 🤔

In addition to the major features coming in this update, there are also a ton of quality-of-life improvements like the ability to toggle the dialogue camera off. Now you’ll be able to watch scenes play out from your chosen perspective.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh interesting, they're un-BSGing the game 🤔

I mean, that's theoretically a good change, but I think it'll only superficially help, since they didn't like... make any scenes. It's everyone standing and speaking one at a time in a really stilted way.

48 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wow the framerate options are huge for me. I'm definitely playing this in its entirety come May 15. 

I’m glad about more detailed local maps with fast travel. 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Biggie I tested out 40fps on visual mode (if your tv supports 120hz) and 60fps on performance mode. 40fps is great because it absolutely makes a difference in performance but doesn't take away from the visual fidelity.

60fps is nice but I don't like the hit it takes visually.

The map is now so much more detailed and looks great. I only played 15 minutes and had to stop playing. 

• Halal 1

Just now, best3444 said:

@Biggie I tested out 40fps on visual mode (if your tv supports 120hz) and 60fps on performance mode. 40fps is great because it absolutely makes a difference in performance but doesn't take away from the visual fidelity.

60fps is nice but I don't like the hit it takes visually.

The map is now so much more detailed and looks great. I only played 15 minutes and had to stop playing. 

Yes my LG OLED supports it

• Hype 1