Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, 23 December 2022) - reviews from Toronto International Film Festival posted

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Already some chuds in the resetera thread saying that the first movie was bad because they figured out the killer in the first 10 minutes, and they hope this one has a better "twist."

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Did they mean Ransom? 

49 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

They said this will be released in select theaters. Anyone know if any major theater chains carry Netflix films, or is it only small independent theaters?

It actually tends to be the opposite, more in majors and almost no indies outside of LA/NYC/SF

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Already some chuds in the resetera thread saying that the first movie was bad because they figured out the killer in the first 10 minutes, and they hope this one has a better "twist."

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

I figured out Bruce Willis was dead within the first ten minutes of 6 sense but I still enjoyed the heck out of it 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't get how someone figured it out 10 minutes into the movie, anyway.

I think in most murder mysteries you can narrow down the likely suspects in the first 1/3 (and make an educated guess on gut feeling), but most people who "figure out" plot twists aren't any more intelligent than anyone else. The thing I hate is those same people demanding "better" twists (i.e. you don't see them coming). But that's bad writing—plot revelations should be set up with 2-3 hints. A good twists results in the audience going "ah, I should have seen that coming!" rather than "whoa, I never saw that coming!" You want twists to be earned, not to shock.

• Like 1

Most people didn’t figure out shit, random people will guess every character on screen and inevitably some of these people will have guessed the right character. Then some of them think they’re geniuses that outsmarted the movie.

Just like the market ”wizards” that predicted the last 10 bear/bull markets.

• Halal 2

"Figuring it out" right doesn't mean shit if you don't have anything to back it up, otherwise it's just a lucky guess. You "figuring it out" because Ransom seemed like the worst isn't smart. If you guessed Ransom because of reasons A, B, C, and D, and they lined up with the movie's reveal then yes you're smart, payed attention, and figured it out. 

I could look at the picture at the dinner table and guess the bad guy will be Edward Norton because he's good at playing innocent seeming guys who then turn out to be monsters, or it's Ethan Hawke since he's not there or because he'll be the dead victim, or maybe it's Kathryn Hahn because Rian Johnson really liked her in WandaVision and she's in the same position as Judas in the Last Supper painting; doesn't mean I figured it out, and "it was obvious" if any of those turned out to be right. I just got a lucky guess. 

People who brag about "figuring it out" in movies with that air of arrogance are insufferable. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, 23 December 2022) - reviews from Toronto International Film Festival posted
Glass-Onion.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Rian Johnson's whodunit sequel has a new set of suspects and even more elaborate games.

Is “Glass Onion” a better movie than the first “Knives Out”? Not necessarily. But it’s a bigger, showier, even more elaborately multi-faceted shell-game mystery. Craig has figured out how to let his wry performance sneak up on you all over again, and the suspects hover in a tasty zone between toxic and sympathetic. Yet for a movie this chock-full of surprises, there’s something about seeing the killer revealed that feels, perhaps, a touch less gratifying than before. “Glass Onion” is the first of two “Knives Out” sequels. It thoroughly delivers, but next time the knives should cut deeper.

Knives-Out-2.png?w=770
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

TIFF: For the second "Knives Out," Johnson and his stacked cast have a hell of a good time deconstructing and reorienting the whodunit.

Of a piece, the pair (and at least one more to come, though at the film’s TIFF premiere, Craig said he wanted to keep making these films for the rest of his life, and Johnson vowed to keep making them until his star stops taking his phone calls) thread together beautifully. If you loved Benoit Blanc in “Knives Out,” a KFC-inflected dandy who somehow manages to be the smartest person in the room, the nuttiest, and the most empathetic, seeing him tossed into the deep end of yet another wacky-rich whodunit will only further bewitch you. Craig is never as easy, as loose, as silly as he is when kitted out in Blanc’s signature neck scarf, and suffice it to say, the man wears a lot of neck scarfs in this film (plus one truly outstanding swimming costume).

As Blanc “solves” one mystery, another pops right up, and Johnson happily shifts gears to tell a whole new story, wrapped inside his first one (like an onion? oh, sure) and then turned inside out (like a Bloomin’ Onion? let’s not get too silly) to bend brains and tickle his audience and start the whole damn delightful thing all over again. Why have these people been brought together? Who among them is a murderer? Who among them is a murderee? (Truly, a major question in this zigging and zagging genre joy.)

Asked and answered: who can solve the case? (Benoit Blanc!) And who is going to love watching it? (Well, you can probably guess, we did give you all the clues.)

One of the draws of "Knives Out" was the ensemble cast, with Ana de Armas being a particular standout. But while the cast of that first film was swell, some of the characters felt undercooked or underused. With "Glass Onion," Johnson remedies that by giving everyone a moment to shine. Hahn is her usual wonderful self, chewing her dialogue with gusto. Monáe is a huge standout, with a particularly tricky role. But everyone around her is also firing on all cylinders. Norton is particularly grand as the billionaire, playing the character with just the right amount of smug self-righteousness. And Hudson garners huge laughs with her dimwitted character. But make no mistake: this is Daniel Craig's movie.

It might seem odd to claim that Craig's best performance is in a "Knives Out" sequel; in fact, you might consider that hyperbole. But I stick by it. I have always enjoyed Craig's work, but I have never enjoyed him as much as I did here. Blanc is even funnier this time around, and Johnson allows Craig to engage in some brief but uproarious slapstick. Forget James Bond — this was the role Craig was born to play. I can't wait to see what case Benoit Blanc gets mixed up in next.

1698.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Toronto film festival: Rian Johnson’s entertaining follow-up brings back Daniel Craig and the same, if less potent, cocktail of twists and mystery

There’s fun to be had watching Craig have fun, even if using him more centrally makes him slightly less effective, and while the cast is markedly lower-wattage this time around, they each have their moments, most notably Kate Hudson, relishing a welcome return to comedy, killing it as a frequently cancelled fashionista with an amusing habit for saying and doing the wrong thing.

Johnson’s more extravagant and often indulgent sequel will likely find those who prefer it to the original, it’s so stuffed with so much that it’ll surely prove more fun to those who appreciate getting more bang for their buck. It’s hard not to have fun when Johnson pulls the strings, I just wish he’d not pulled quite so many and quite so hard.

glass_onion.jpeg?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

Daniel Craig returns as the drawling detective in a bigger—but not better—follow-up with Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kate Hudson, and more.

daniel-craig-glass-onion-a-knives-out-my
DEADLINE.COM

It beggars belief that what started out as an idle thought — to continue the adventures of detective Benoit Blanc, the world’s “greatest detective” — has resulted not in just the inevitable franchise placeholder but one of the most exciting, funny and downright enjoyable movies of the year.

It beggars belief that what started out as an idle thought — to continue the adventures of detective Benoit Blanc, the world’s “greatest detective” — has resulted not in just the inevitable franchise placeholder but one of the most exciting, funny and downright enjoyable movies of the year. Shrewdly cast, it boasts one of the most brilliant screenplays of the year, not just in terms of its exquisite, laugh-out-loud dialogue and satirical barbs at pop culture but in the meticulous, meta plotting of a traditional whodunnit that keeps the mind ticking over from start to finish. Unusually for a recent Netflix presentation, hardly a minute is wasted, and it’s no surprise that a Christmas release is planned for an intelligent crowd-pleaser that hits a bull’s-eye with every beat.

• 2 months later...

Wife and I went to see it last night. Sold out show! I’m sure that has more to do with it being the night before Thanksgiving but it was still nice to see a full theater for a non blockbuster that’s also releasing in a month on Netflix. 

It’s utterly fantastic. More of the same but kind of ramped up from the first. More over the top. You kind of think you’re in a James Bond setting but with very silly people. Daniel Craig is incredible and so is Edward Norton(everyone is great) but for me the stand out was Batista. He just gets better and better with each roll. 

• Halal 1

If you liked Knives Out, you'll like Glass Onion. At the beginning there's some celebrity cameos that felt really shoe-horned in to me that had me worried that the whole movie was going to have jumped the shark kinda feel, but once it got into the meat of it, it's great. Also, when you see who Edward Norton's character is obviously based on and the ultimate conclusion the movie reaches about him, the release of this movie is... timely.

• Halal 1