Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, 23 December 2022) - reviews from Toronto International Film Festival posted

The movie is sooooo fun. And Janelle Mona’s continues to be my biggest celebrity crush. Super talented.

I also feel like the change from a family to a friend group was smart. The dynamic is different enough to make it feel much more fresh than it might have otherwise.

Daniel Craig’s Blanc is great because dude could play him for decades more 

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Took my sister and niece to it tonight. Glad I bought our tickets weeks ago, because it was nearly sold out! Total blast. We’re probably going to end up seeing it again at Christmas, with my brother in law who couldn’t make it tonight. 

I believe it is a one week theatrical run before a Christmas week launch on Netflix

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This film was definitely not nearly as "tight" as its predecessor and that ending probably could've used a few more draft revisions, but overall I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit!

Having just saw it, this is my take as well. The first had some incredibly poignant moments at time, and was more of a straight drama with funny parts. This one was bigger and sillier but like others have said different tones for the sequels makes sense, and switching it up to a friends group dynamic as opposed to family opens it up to a lot more comedic fun and Craig's Benoit Blanc is just a lot of fun. It does feel a bit sloppier than the first one, my gut feeling being due to this one being produced by Netflix but it's still worth watching, 7.5/10 (I'd give the first one an 8/10, having just rewatched it in prep to see this one).

Everyone should watch it, it's more Knives Out but dialing down the seriousness and upping the silliness. The entire cast was great. Definitely looking forward to the third already planned film.

I like movie versions, same reason I enjoyed the longer stories for Poirot -- the mysteries are just more involved and better.

So I'm happy we should see many more before I'm dead!

glass-onion-a-knives-out-sequel.jpeg
MOVIEWEB.COM

The star and director of the Knives Out films will keep making new installments of the series as long for as fans continue to enjoy them.

16 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This film was definitely not nearly as "tight" as its predecessor and that ending probably could've used a few more draft revisions, but overall I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit!

anything that can cause the chuds to have a melt down is OK in my book.

Movie was not quite as good as the first but was still very fun

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, Ricofoley said:

If you liked Knives Out, you'll like Glass Onion. At the beginning there's some celebrity cameos that felt really shoe-horned in to me that had me worried that the whole movie was going to have jumped the shark kinda feel, but once it got into the meat of it, it's great. Also, when you see who Edward Norton's character is obviously based on and the ultimate conclusion the movie reaches about him, the release of this movie is... timely.

End of movie spoiler:

The big reveal essentially being the equivalent of calling out that Elon Musk is a fucking ding bat was amazing

In the end what it was mattered to me more than that it wasn’t quiiiite air tight of an ending as it was incredibly entertaining watching it play out.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

What are the chuds upset about this time?

I'm just guessing, but I assume because the film treats Covid seriously, given the different responses by each of the characters, which mocks the characters who clearly take it less seriously. I'd also guess because it mocks Elon Musk types (Edward Norton's character) and men's right activists (Dave Bautista's character). And after The Last Jedi and Knives Out (pro-immigrants, anti-rich white people), chuds kind of just have it in for Rian Johnson, so they'll find anything to hate.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I thought the answer to the "whodunit" was pretty obvious from the start but I still enjoyed the ride.

And the shot at Musk even before he went completely off the rails (as this movie was probably shot 1+ years ago) is pretty fuckin funny. And all the current shitty trends.

I think some of us have been aware for a while that tech geniuses/rich people are idiots but it's starting to spill over to the mainstream finally. If Musk hadn't gone bananas I think people would have seen it as sorta controversial. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just guessing, but I assume because the film treats Covid seriously, given the different responses by each of the characters, which mocks the characters who clearly take it less seriously. I'd also guess because it mocks Elon Musk types (Edward Norton's character) and men's right activists (Dave Bautista's character). And after The Last Jedi and Knives Out (pro-immigrants, anti-rich white people), chuds kind of just have it in for Rian Johnson, so they'll find anything to hate.

Some are upset that it's making fun of Elon Musk.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
ben-shapiro-glass-onion-.jpg?fm=pjpg&ixl
GOD.DAILYDOT.COM

"Ben Shapiro being Very Very Angry that a whodunit misled the viewers in the first half is legit the funniest thing to happen in 2022"

Is this proof that this movie is incredibly good?

Ben Shapiro.  :daydream:

I read his relatively short tweet thread on Glass Onion, and it is indeed hilarious. First, the entire satire/point of the film goes over his head (eat the rich and the rich are idiots and rubes anyway) and then second, he has no understanding of how whodunnit murder mysteries work, in that the point of them is to first and foremost deceive the audience convincingly. I suppose his point is that the film's plot logic didn't hold up to the standard of "convincingly", but that doesn't make sense since it seems the film did, indeed, trick him and misdirect him successfully.

He also attributes successful rocket launches by SpaceX to Elon Musk. A) it's not Musk on the comms or engineering and launching rockets; B) Shapiro attributes things to Musk as if not only did Musk do them, but Musk single-handedly did them. The alt-right Elon Musk BS that Musk is Tony Stark continues. :lol:

What a fucking chud, no surprise.

To be fair, the gear shift is the sloppiest part of the whole flick. The movie overcomes it because it is still exceptionally fun, but it is a much lesser sequence than it’s counterpoint in Knives Out.