Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, 23 December 2022) - reviews from Toronto International Film Festival posted

Netflix Buys 'Knives Out' Sequels for $450 Million - Variety

Netflix is plunking down an astounding $450 million for the rights to “Knives Out 2” and “Knives Out 3,” the next two follow-ups to the 2019 murder mystery. The films will reunite director Rian Johnson and star Daniel Craig, who teamed up so memorably on the first detective story.

The first “Knives Out” was produced by Media Rights Capital, which sold the movie to Netflix. It was distributed by Lionsgate, going on to earn $311.4 million on a $40 million budget. Johnson was nominated for an Oscar for best original screenplay.

The film gives Netflix a splashy new film series as it faces more competition in the streaming space. In recent months, new challengers such as HBO Max, Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus have emerged to challenge Netflix’s dominance.

• Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wow, those are some big moves. I wonder what Johnson thinks. Probably doesn't care considering the payday he's going to have.

Big payday, plus I assume he’ll have plenty of freedom with these to do pretty much whatever he wants. That seems to be one of Netflix’s big moves, and it usually works. 

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I want a Knives Out Cinematic Universe.

For example, I want Craig to play the same character in different eras!

I liked his tweet from a while ago where he said Daniel Craig might have different accents in each film, but the movies would never explain it.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Brick said:

As long as I get more Benoit Blanc I'm happy. 

Exactly, the adventures of Benoit Blanc is what I’m here for. Craig should play him every few years for the next 30 years.

5 hours ago, Brick said:

As long as I get more Benoit Blanc I'm happy. 

I mean I'd happily take a bit more Ana de Armas as well but yeah, good ole Benny B holds it down for sure. That being said, I'm dying to see Ransom get out of prison some how & come for revenge ... then we can get more Ana that way!

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Y'know, I like Netflix, and I know they released Irishman to some theaters for a limited time, but I actually enjoyed the theater experience of Knives Out. I hope there's some kind of release for the sequels.

Yeah, I hope since these are sequels to an established theatrical hit, they’ll get a decent theatrical release. 

56 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Y'know, I like Netflix, and I know they released Irishman to some theaters for a limited time, but I actually enjoyed the theater experience of Knives Out. I hope there's some kind of release for the sequels.

I watched it in Korea, and while I think overall the audience liked it, I definitely noticed that I was the only one laughing at certain points.

13 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

FYI: Netflix will be greatly expanding their theatrical presence moving forward :)

10 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

The only concern I have is lack of bluray/UHD release, since it's netflix.  I really want to have a complete steelbook Knives Out collection on my shelf before it's all said and done.

Valid concern. Netflix has put a handful of Blu Rays, but they seem to reserve it for their more “prestige” titles like Roma and The Irishman. Maybe the cash the put down for this series means they’ll take these movies that seriously. 

• 1 month later...

Shooting has officially begun!

Craig is the only Knives Out cast member slated to return for the sequel and the already-developing Knives Out 3. Joining him in Knives Out 2 are Edward Norton (Motherless Brooklyn), Dave Bautista (Army of the Dead), Janelle Monáe (Antebellum), Kathryn Hahn (WandaVision), Leslie Odom Jr. (One Night in Miami), Kate Hudson (Marshall), Madelyn Cline (Outer Banks) and Jessica Yu Li Henwick (Iron Fist). For the time being, however, their roles are being kept firmly under-wraps.

• 11 months later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Netflix Buys ‘Knives Out’ Sequels for $450 Million (Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery coming this holiday season)

I TOLD YOU ABOUT STRAWBERRY FIELDS

YOU KNOW THE PLACE WHERE NOTHING IS REAL

WELL HERE'S ANOTHER PLACE YOU CAN GO

WHERE EVERYTHING FLOWS

LOOKING THROUGH THE BENT-BACKED TULIPS

TO SEE HOW THE OTHER HALF LIVE

LOOKING THROUGH A GLASS ONION

I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE WALRUS AND ME, MAN

YOU KNOW WE'RE AS CLOSE AS CAN BE, MAN

WELL HERE'S ANOTHER CLUE FOR YOU ALL

THE WALRUS WAS PAUL

STANDING ON THE CAST IRON SHORE, YEAH