Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, 23 December 2022) - reviews from Toronto International Film Festival posted

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To be fair, the gear shift is the sloppiest part of the whole flick. The movie overcomes it because it is still exceptionally fun, but it is a much lesser sequence than it’s counterpoint in Knives Out.

It is the sloppiest part, agreed (next to the ending) - I was going to say, Knives Out does the same thing essentially - so I assume Shapiro had a problem with it both times? :p And either way, a gear shift/misdirect is entirely in keeping with the genre, which Shapiro doesn't seem to understand.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

To be fair, the gear shift is the sloppiest part of the whole flick. The movie overcomes it because it is still exceptionally fun, but it is a much lesser sequence than it’s counterpoint in Knives Out.

This is true, but I think...

Spoiler

The back end of the movie mirroring Yo Yo Ma's comments as well as Bron's comments about what disruption are made up for it. I liked that payoff better than Ransom not recognizing a fake knife in the first.

Regardless I think that the first one is probably a better movie overall but this one felt more fun and I'm not mad about that.

And as always, every single second spend reading, talking about, or dunking on Shapiro is a moment wasted.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Having just saw it, this is my take as well. The first had some incredibly poignant moments at time, and was more of a straight drama with funny parts. This one was bigger and sillier but like others have said different tones for the sequels makes sense, and switching it up to a friends group dynamic as opposed to family opens it up to a lot more comedic fun and Craig's Benoit Blanc is just a lot of fun. It does feel a bit sloppier than the first one, my gut feeling being due to this one being produced by Netflix but it's still worth watching, 7.5/10 (I'd give the first one an 8/10, having just rewatched it in prep to see this one).

Everyone should watch it, it's more Knives Out but dialing down the seriousness and upping the silliness. The entire cast was great. Definitely looking forward to the third already planned film.

I think the movie getting more sloppy by the end was intentional. It felt like it was because the plot of the murder and coverup was both desperate and sloppy as the murderer was also unraveling. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think the movie getting more sloppy by the end was intentional. It felt like it was because the plot of the murder and coverup was both desperate and sloppy as the murderer was also unraveling. 

Yeah but you don't want the audience to start checking out regardless of intent. My wife and I still liked the ending, but it became a bit much for us (but still within tolerances). 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:28 PM, Spork3245 said:
ben-shapiro-glass-onion-.jpg?fm=pjpg&ixl
GOD.DAILYDOT.COM

"Ben Shapiro being Very Very Angry that a whodunit misled the viewers in the first half is legit the funniest thing to happen in 2022"

Is this proof that this movie is incredibly good?

Ben Shapiro being too stupid to understand how movies work is just delightful. 

Fun movie. I enjoyed it. Probably liked the first one more, but this was good too. 

• Haha 1

I’m also going to just go ahead and be the odd man out and say that I preferred Glass Onion to the first, though both are exceptional. Knives Out is probably a better movie and it’s definitely a tighter script but Glass Onion is just more fun and honestly with this genre that’s what is going to sway me at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m also going to just go ahead and be the odd man out and say that I preferred Glass Onion to the first, though both are exceptional. Knives Out is probably a better movie and it’s definitely a tighter script but Glass Onion is just more fun and honestly with this genre that’s what is going to sway me at the end of the day.

I also enjoyed Glass Onion more than the original. The story and such wasn’t as tight, but Glass Onion was just a lot more fun to watch IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started I was so bummed that the "poor girl" was going be the protagonist, again. And then the movie kept happening. The girl wasn't that poor and Benoit was like the main character and Benoit is just simply the best. Then the 1st event happened. And then the second event happened, and then the rewind. And at the end I was like 

Spoiler

omg, the poor girl is the hero! OMG I love this movie and I literally clapped to myself. I won't lie. Saw a reddit TIL post that talked about the metaphor of the phrase "glass onion" but I didn't click it because I didn't want to get spoiled. But then Benoit talked about it and I remember and I was like OMG the main bad guy is going to be Miles! But then I felt tricked! I tricked myself when I saw the wooden panels in that "don't pay attention to me" guy's room and I did the one thing the movie said not to do and I paid attention to him! I was like, he sent out those boxes! He is in on it. He killed Andi! I fooled myself and I loved it!

Knives Out was great, but personally, I like Glass Onion much more. Fantastic Movie! 

• Hugs 1