Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol people scapegoating democratic leadership completely ignoring the real ones responsible for this quagmire... The American Fucking People. You get the Government you deserve in a democracy.  What does our current state of affairs say about us as a people? This country deserves whatever is coming next.

Sorta, the real problem is that the senate in no way actually represents the people.

The 50 Republican Senators represent 43.6% of the American population

The 50 Democratic Senators represent 56.4% of the American population

• True 2

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

You know what would lower prescription drug cost? Single payer healthcare. Just throwing it out there. 

joe-manchin-e1632163656882.jpg
WWW.OPENSECRETS.ORG

Joe Manchin's daughter was embroiled in the EpiPen price scandal while her company gave large campaign contributions to Manchin.

18 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The thing that gets me about his opposition to the CTC is that its not even new fucking money, its just half of the current credit people claim at the end of the year, lol.

It is an increase from $2000 per child to $3000/$3600 for 6 and under. The payout is also fully refundable whereas previously only the first $1400 was.

30 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I just wait for the whole Manchin-Sinema dynamic to kick in where you can offer the world to one and the other will be a hard-no on some other aspect of the bill.

If it's Romney's bill you presumably only need one of them.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is where I'm at as well.

Take this offer, Biden.

Take the offer. You get climate change, ACA subsides, and pre-k. Coupled with the infrastructure bill, that's a lot of things to run on. As others have said, work on a bipartisan basis for the child tax credits and paid leave of some sort. 

211219-joe-biden-ap-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The two connected and there is a sense that talks around Build Back Better aren't done yet.

The conversation ended with a sense that negotiations would, in fact, resume around the Build Back Better Act in some form in the new year. The tone of conversation was cordial and it was agreed that they would speak again on legislative priorities.

White House staff had given Manchin a heads-up on Thursday that the president was soon to put out a statement accepting a delay in the Build Back Better Act and that it was going to mention the West Virginia senator by name. Manchin objected, asking that either his name be left out or that he not be alone because his family had already been the target of abuse and he didn’t want to be singled out.

But the statement went out anyway, and contained only Manchin’s name. The senator then snapped at White House aides and told them that he was done negotiating. The West Wing interpreted that as meaning that current talks were done but could pick up again next year.

"I'm going to torpedo a bill because I'm mad," is funny from a yacht-riding out-of-touch coal baron.

But Manchin's been all over the place on what he will and won't support. There's no sense from anyone on Capitol Hill -- no rep, no Senator -- that BBB is dead, so I expect we'll be talking about it again early 2022.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:
61c0e994d5735300195f5377?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Goldman Sachs lowered its US growth estimates for the first three quarters of 2022, pegging the update exclusively to Manchin's...

Why isn't Goldman bribing Republicans into voting for it then?

Midterms matter more to them.