Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the voting thread but after yet another thing blew up in their faces I said something along the lines of "chuck (no pun intended) out the leadership" and somebody was incredulous about that comment. No, it's not Chuck Schumer's fault that Joe Manchin is a bastard but Schumer is still profoundly bad at politics sometimes. When it would count most.

It was dumb for Schumer to keep it a secret from Biden and Pelosi but it seems like this doesn't really change the fundamental story that Manchin was playing Calvinball with these negotiations. What do we think happens substantively differently if Schumer had told them about this written agreement? 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

It was dumb for Schumer to keep it a secret from Biden and Pelosi but it seems like this doesn't really change the fundamental story that Manchin was playing Calvinball with these negotiations. What do we think happens substantively differently if Schumer had told them about this written agreement? 

I suppose you're right, but of all the actual tools they tried to use it seems like this would have been the biggest sledgehammer and they... didn't?

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Manchin obviously doesn't give a shit about anything other than his own re-election (which fuels the money flowing in from GOP sources). Just kick him out of the party so there is no illusion.

BIDEN-SCORE_16x9.png
PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

An updating tally of how often every member of the House and the Senate votes with or against the president.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

BIDEN-SCORE_16x9.png
PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

An updating tally of how often every member of the House and the Senate votes with or against the president.

A lot of things that Biden supports doesn’t even get a vote because of manchin et al 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A lot of things that Biden supports doesn’t even get a vote because of manchin et al 

Would they get a vote with a GOP senator from WV? No, so this point doesn’t matter.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’sa bit misleading and an imperfect measure in the senate

Imperfect, sure, but not with respect to the bonkers idea that the Dems would be better off without Manchin caucusing with them. He is absolutely the best you’re going to get out of *West Virginia* and currently allows the Dems to have the majority. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Imperfect, sure, but not with respect to the bonkers idea that the Dems would be better off without Manchin caucusing with them. He is absolutely the best you’re going to get out of *West Virginia* and currently allows the Dems to have the majority. 

Manchin sucks but is better than every single Republican in congress by a wide, impossibly large margin It’s very dumb to consider kicking him out. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Manchin obviously doesn't give a shit about anything other than his own re-election (which fuels the money flowing in from GOP sources). Just kick him out of the party so there is no illusion.

I thought we had move on collectively from this inept idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Give in to Manchin’s demands, tout Dem success when shit passes that helps people, try and expand Senate majority in the midterms, and then the Dems don’t have to worry about Manchin being a deciding factor anymore.

This isn’t a hard solution… outside of winning a bigger majority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Give in to Manchin’s demands, tout Dem success when shit passes that helps people, try and expand Senate majority in the midterms, and then the Dems don’t have to worry about Manchin being a deciding factor anymore.

You're assuming Manchin won't just pull the rug out again at the 11th hour. They gave into his demand last time and he voted against it anyhow.

• True 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, MarSolo said:

Thats the problem, Dems probably aren't winning a majority. People are completely disillusioned with the democrats, and a Manchin Approved slap in the face isn't going to endear the party to the people. Meanwhile, Republicans are somehow thriving on anger and hate like its the fuel that could end the climate crisis, if they weren't completely opposed to ending the climate crisis.

13 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

So what should they do?

Honestly I think campaigning on "give us more Democratic Senators" and ignoring Manchin is probably better than another six months of blue balling where Manchin reveals he was just playing Calvin ball again a week before the election.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

Honestly I think campaigning on "give us more Democratic Senators" and ignoring Manchin is probably better than another six months of blue balling where Manchin reveals he was just playing Calvin ball again a week before the election.

Okay. Not a trick question, either, but between that and trying to get something out of BBB, there doesn't seem to be an ideal path forward, and even this strategy has a lot of pitfalls in terms of exciting the base.

Pity because I think even half of BBB would be stellar, and between the NDA/sexual assault law, the infrastructure law, the COVID relief law, the USPS bill that'll likely get signed by Biden, and a ton of great judges put on the judiciary, especially Ketanji Brown Jackson, there have been concrete and really positive steps that have been taken since Biden took office. I don't know if not passing the infrastructure bill until BBB passed would have led to passage of both (maybe both would have failed), but I definitely think those who voted no on infrastructure simply because they wanted BBB to pass were ultimately proven right about why the strategy was pursued and why it at least seemed necessary.

Infrastructure and COVID relief are probably being severely underrated by a lot of Democrats, and I'd like more of that if we could keep Congress, which would be extremely difficult, even if Dems are at least lucky that plenty of Republican seats are up for grabs in the Senate.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

This is a terrible idea. Get what you can while you still can, we’re looking at a decade at least before another dem trifecta. Play his stupid games but last I saw the admin and leadership just aren’t engaging with him because they would rather let everyone lose than several specific interest groups lose

• 3 months later...

For a hot second, it looked like this was alive again, after some actual progress was made negotiating with Manchin (supposedly, at least), and now we're back to House "centrists" blowing it up again instead. This party sucks so much, lmao

1657664536636.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

Trying to modify the potential deal could scuttle the entire package.

• Guillotine 1