Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

We are on the slippery slope towards democracy, and I will not stand for it!

I consider tyranny of the majority code for "the serfs will have too much say in what happens". I am starting to also believe freedom is "I like the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie's boot on my neck. In fact I wish it was a size or two larger boot".

In normal times this could be solved by bribing the Senators with pork projects. Oh, your largest city needs a new bridge? Sure, the federal government will pay for that. This was because people who lived in the city/state would see the bridge, hear the ads about it, and think "huh, Senator ABC got that done," and then be more favourable to voting for them. Everyone wins. 

Now, this is less possible because a very large percentage of the electorate is no longer concerned with material gains to be had by governance, and is instead obsessed with the politics of revenge. This has been driven by media bubbles/algorithms that keep them exposed to constant lies. They don't care about the bridge, they care about seeing a House Rep from another state hanged. They don't care about a new subway line, they care about stopping the thousands of children being stolen and trafficked by Democrats in Washington.

At least before, the lies were based on things that at least had potential (if stupid) solutions—porous border, taxes too high, etc. But now it's about personal revenge, and the only outcome is exercising power in order to administer it.

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In normal times this could be solved by bribing the Senators with pork projects. Oh, your largest city needs a new bridge? Sure, the federal government will pay for that. This was because people who lived in the city/state would see the bridge, hear the ads about it, and think "huh, Senator ABC got that done," and then be more favourable to voting for them. Everyone wins. 

Now, this is less possible because a very large percentage of the electorate is no longer concerned with material gains to be had by governance, and is instead obsessed with the politics of revenge. This has been driven by media bubbles/algorithms that keep them exposed to constant lies. They don't care about the bridge, they care about seeing a House Rep from another state hanged. They don't care about a new subway line, they care about stopping the thousands of children being stolen and trafficked by Democrats in Washington.

At least before, the lies were based on things that at least had potential (if stupid) solutions—porous border, taxes too high, etc. But now it's about personal revenge, and the only outcome is exercising power in order to administer it.

Also manchin is very, very stupid

• True 1

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
merlin_200830482_ac896717-4dc5-4d15-8b06
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The research could have policy implications as President Biden pushes to revive his proposal to expand the child tax credit.

drive your Maserati into your house boat at high speed, manchin

That seems like a bad thing doe, how will we get future generations of Republican voters if we stop all this brain damage?

• Haha 1

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

The president says the stalled bill could help lower families’ costs amid an inflation surge.

ecb2ebf0-7eb2-11ec-af7f-880a19b8d8ad
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

Ford chats with CEO Jim Farley about the company's electric vehicle plans and the importance of president Joe Biden's Build Back Better bill.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Has there been any work on breaking its component parts into separate bills yet?

If they were smart, they would have started on this yesterday.

Voters are far too stupid to understand the Build Back Better Act, but you separate each provision in to it's own bill, universal pre-k, up or down vote, paid family leave, up or down vote, and hopefully it would click how out of touch Republicans are.

The thing I'm not sure of is if running those bills through the Senate individually falls under reconciliation, since they'll (likely) never get 60 votes for anything.

15 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

This party sucks so much lmao

I can't remember if it was this thread or the voting thread but after yet another thing blew up in their faces I said something along the lines of "chuck (no pun intended) out the leadership" and somebody was incredulous about that comment. No, it's not Chuck Schumer's fault that Joe Manchin is a bastard but Schumer is still profoundly bad at politics sometimes. When it would count most.