Matthew McConaughey is considering Texas governor run

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m trying so hard not to be totally for this without knowing anything about his politics just because I want to see it. I know that’s part of how we got trump but alright alright alright.

IIRC he's a "both sides" braindead dolt.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I was hoping they avoided the internet altogether and just sat around talking about sports and drinking budweiser during their free time..

Covid has forced them onto their phones (sports were over for awhile there), and they just believe whatever they see on their Facebook communities. Thanks Zuckerberg! I have a friend whose mom in Florida was quite normal, now she's a QAnon psycho. 

So, like, you know. Normies.

• Sad 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Covid has forced them onto their phones, and they just believe whatever they see on their Facebook communities. Thanks Zuckerberg! I have a friend whose mom in Florida was quite normal, now she's a QAnon psycho. 

So, like, you know. Normies.

I guess it depends where you are from, here in the bay area that’s definitely not the normies thankfully. But yeah, we still have too many both siders. Both siders are just people on the other side whose facade of trying to pretend they give a shit about people is breaking.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess it depends where you are from, here in the bay area that’s definitely not the normies thankfully. But yeah, we still have too many both siders. Both siders are just people on the other side whose facade of trying to pretend they give a shit about people is breaking.

This is exactly right.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am by "both siders". I'm tired of the false equivalences. It's just . . . tiring. Also, if you are in San Francisco, I think you should read this and watch this horrible video and tell me what you think. It will piss you off, fair warning.

uber1.jpg?w=1280
WWW.KRON4.COM

San Francisco police are investigating after a wild Uber interaction was caught on camera.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is exactly right.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am by "both siders". I'm tired of the false equivalences. It's just . . . tiring. Also, if you are in San Francisco, I think you should read this and watch this horrible video and tell me what you think. It will piss you off, fair warning.

uber1.jpg?w=1280
WWW.KRON4.COM

San Francisco police are investigating after a wild Uber interaction was caught on camera.

I can’t tell if those are Q people or just a group of dumb fucks, its hard to tell but yeah it’s vile, they exist in some form everywhere of course.

Its actually almost worse now that I think about it if they aren’t Q people because I mean they are kind of half assed using the masks, which makes this basically just an intentional violent potentially deadly attack. Which yeah, I guess it is.

Meh.

I was talking to some of my friends about what the liberal version of Trump would be... like, someone just as dangerous and incompetent, but with lefty politics and I settled on Sean Penn, or someone very similar to a Sean Penn...

I don't know a dang thing about his politics or how smart he is... but I feel like Matthew McConaughey is basically in that same department.

2 hours ago, ort said:

Meh.

I was talking to some of my friends about what the liberal version of Trump would be... like, someone just as dangerous and incompetent, but with lefty politics and I settled on Sean Penn, or someone very similar to a Sean Penn...

I don't know a dang thing about his politics or how smart he is... but I feel like Matthew McConaughey is basically in that same department.

I mean, Sean Penn and Trump have the same history when it comes to how they treat women.

How Sean Penn’s career survived what he did to Madonna is astounding.

When Trump was elected I had envisioned a terrible future where all of our politicians were celebrities and they were mostly nothing but figure heads... I really think that's a real possibility at some point in the future.

3 minutes ago, ort said:

When Trump was elected I had envisioned a terrible future where all of our politicians were celebrities and they were mostly nothing but figure heads... I really think that's a real possibility at some point in the future.

Certainly there has been an erosion of trust in politicians to the point that most people have a natural distrust of them, and that leaves the door open for idiots to vote for the next person that goes "BUT I'M NOT A POLITICIAN*"

*Not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily, as long as it comes from a genuine place. AOC campaigned on "I'm not a politician." So did Lauren Boebert (she literally campaigned on being the "anti-AOC")

I see it as a failure of the system that people campaign as being not part of the system, but then again that's been true since the 1870's, so nothing new there.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Certainly there has been an erosion of trust in politicians to the point that most people have a natural distrust of them, and that leaves the door open for idiots to vote for the next person that goes "BUT I'M NOT A POLITICIAN*"

*Not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily, as long as it comes from a genuine place. AOC campaigned on "I'm not a politician." So did Lauren Boebert (she literally campaigned on being the "anti-AOC")

I see it as a failure of the system that people campaign as being not part of the system, but then again that's been true since the 1870's, so nothing new there.

The irony of the public being allured those not in the system, but then being averse to the idea changing that system (my freedoms!).

I've been saying it for a while: In order to elect someone with actual progressive policies running in a red state or even the entire country (post-Trump), they could probably never be outspoken at having those views and, frankly, this is especially true for any candidate who's not a generic straight-passing white guy.  Mcconaughey is an ideal candidate. There's no good way to say it - it's gross/cringe, but obviously how things seem to be right now for more left-leaning changes to be effectively made. 

Someone with liberal policies or anything further left would best case scenario need to do a trojan horse campaign as a centrist with as much mass appeal as possible.  Someone with a Tom Hanks or Bob Ross persona - likeable, inoffensive, etc - and Mcconaughey seems close enough to that, especially to most Texans. Whether or not this is true, or that he'll actually try (or will be effective at) pushing things in a more left direction once elected is anyone's guess, but anyone who knows anything about that state's politics realizes he's probably the best option.