JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

On 5/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Haha, good.

tmp-name-2-2137-1653405648-17_dblbig.jpg
WWW.BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM

The actor has been pleading on Twitter with “DarkWing84,” who bought his ape from a scammer, to return it.

This is definitely the most interesting of the recent NFT stories, mostly because it actually involves real copyright issues. Theoretically the ownership of the NFT grants copyright, which Green is using to make a real show. So in theory DarkWing84 could sue Green for using the Ape in the show, but I don't think that has actually been tested. Then there's the issue as to how much plausible deniability you have in purchasing a stolen ape when the history of the ape is encoded in the blockchain.

I'm guessing that no part of this ever goes to court and this doesn't end up actually answering any of the questions it brings up.

It is a good example of both how the blockchain doesn't solve problems and how it always comes back to legacy systems. Just like how cryptocurrency is really only valuable as a way to store dollars, NFTs that grant copyright are really only a different way of handling standard copyright. You're not eliminating the old way, you're simply building on top of it, adding a layer of problematic technology that doesn't actually simplify or eliminate any of the complexities it was seeking to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Absolutely I do!

I'm rewatching their Japanese Militarism series, and it again frightens me the similarities between then and the US situation now.

That said, I do have one big issue with the series for the last couple of years:  The new narrator tries WAY too hard to be funny, and...they're not.

• True 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Is it different discord channels or is it the same one that keeps getting hacked?  Is there a Bored Ape admin who gets their password phished and fixes it by making it "Notmypassword3" instead of "Notmypassword2"?

Things are getting off to a great start for Tim Epic and EGS:

7nN2YDxCLHgzqWzpcZepWT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Grit, an Old West battle royale announced in 2021, is now on the blockchain and will launch on Epic. Yee haw?

87eb3b065e21b0878ae5f9c595119dc1.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

The Fortnite publisher will counter Valve’s 'no Web3 games' policy in this gimmicky historic first

Ethereum has dropped to about 1500, which, just by eyeballing this graph, is the lowest its been since about February 2001. And you don't have to go too far before that to get to a point where it was never anywhere close to as valuable as 1500.

finance_496x496.png
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Get the latest Ether (ETH / USD) real-time quote, historical performance, charts, and other cryptocurrency information to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

• Sicko 3

Hey, eBay is getting in on the NFT game...

Ebay_vault.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

eBay’s vault turns your trading cards into an asset portfolio.

eBay is going to build a museum to house things like collectable cards, sneakers, and comics. That way, instead of getting the collectibles you buy you can opt to get an NFT saying you own it while it sits in the museum. How is this any different from just having a plaque up at the museum saying the same thing, but without the energy waste or risk of digital theft? You know, the way it's worked at other museums for hundreds of years? Nothing. It's not at all any different.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ricofoley said:

Ethereum has dropped to about 1500, which, just by eyeballing this graph, is the lowest its been since about February 2001. And you don't have to go too far before that to get to a point where it was never anywhere close to as valuable as 1500.

finance_496x496.png
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Get the latest Ether (ETH / USD) real-time quote, historical performance, charts, and other cryptocurrency information to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

There’s a real chance for a collapse coming in the new few months. $100 ETH could happen lol 

• Sicko 4

All the Crypto Bros I know who were posting screenies of their gains in November 2021 have been oddly silent.

Probably tired from the extra jobs they had to pick up since they blew all their money on Luna.

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

All the Crypto Bros I know who were posting screenies of their gains in November 2021 have been oddly silent.

Probably tired from the extra jobs they had to pick up since they blew all their money on Luna.

I do have sympathy for people who get rooked into scams, but anyone that reads about Luna or it’s community and decided/s to put serious money into it is potentially behind help. 

• True 1

107074597-1655103399286-gettyimages-1241
WWW.CNBC.COM

Factors including rampant inflation and an imminent interest rate hike from the U.S. Federal Reserve, along with an issue at Celsius, are behind the sell-off.

Bitcoin tumbled below $24,000 on Monday, hitting its lowest level since December 2020, as investors dump crypto amid a broader sell-off in risk assets.

Meanwhile, a crypto lending company called Celsius has paused withdrawals for its customers, sparking fears of contagion into the broader market.

The world’s largest cryptocurrency bitcoin dropped below the $24,000 mark, according to CoinDesk data, and traded around $23,575 at 7:45 a.m. on Wall Street.

Over the weekend and into Monday morning, more than $200 billion had been wiped off the entire cryptocurrency market. The cryptocurrency market capitalization fell below $1 trillion on Monday for the first time since February 2021, according to data from CoinMarketCap.

• Sicko 2