JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This was one of the better posts, with links/references, I’ve read on crypto and its faults.

ElSalvador.jpg
BLOG.DSHR.ORG

I was asked at short notice to fill in for a speaker in Stanford's EE380 course who had to cancel. Below the fold is a hastily updated vers...

Interesting talk, thanks for posting.

He really goes hard at crypto, going so far as to basically say that the blockchain is an unworkable idea. More specifically that blockchains can't accomplish their goals and that the negative externalities are inherent to the system. He's certainly an expert in the field, and at first glance there isn't much I have to disagree with in his analysis.

As pessimistic as I've been about crypto, I've held out some hope that there could be some genuinely useful tech in the stack somewhere waiting for the right use case. As billions in VC funding continue to pour in with basically nothing to show for it, I'm increasingly dubious as to there being any value in the tech.

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

As pessimistic as I've been about crypto, I've held out some hope that there could be some genuinely useful tech in the stack somewhere waiting for the right use case. As billions in VC funding continue to pour in with basically nothing to show for it, I'm increasingly dubious as to there being any value in the tech.

There's definitely useful tech in the stack, it's just that all the good stuff is standard cryptography tech that's existed and been part of the internet almost the entire time. And even then, there are lots of modern applications that could benefit from greater adoption of good old fashioned cryptography like digital signatures. If anything good comes from this fiasco, it will be software being more willing to adopt those parts.

b1d25320f59742efc8975acf231730c6.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

I wish nothing but the worst for everyone involved in making me type that headline

A man by the name of Halston Thayer went on to win the auction, spending the cryptocurrency equivalent of $537,084. He was no doubt thrilled with his unique purchase, until a couple of weeks later when PegzDAO released 46 of those other 99 NFTS—which, remember, represent the exact same image as the one Thayer paid half a million dollars for—for free.

lmao. Why is he complaining? The other NFTs are just as unique as his, because you're not buying the art, you're buying the receipt for the art. Unless he wants to admit that he was suckered...

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a lengthy story, but for me it boils down to "obvious scam turns out to be incompetent scam."

Worldcoin Promised Free Crypto If They Scanned Their Eyeballs With “The Orb.” Now They Feel Robbed.

My favorite part is that some guys figured out that the orb couldn't detect duplicates, so they scanned in all their friends repeatedly to meet their quota. Seems pretty damning when that's the entire point of the retinal scanning in the first place. It also calls into question the value of all the scans they've taken.

The other thing is that shocked me is that they only have 30 orbs operating, which seems like a terribly small amount.

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Pierre Poilievre, the likely next leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, has been going on about making Canada a crypto powerhouse. Basically, conservatives are tapping into crypto to win over disaffected millenials and zoomers.

Which is why crypto should be smothered in the crib. 

• Ukraine 1

50 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:
OVC56Y6BENCN3NUOZU6XJKDOKM.jpg
WWW.COINDESK.COM

Crypto entrepreneur Sina Estavi bought Twitter founder Jack Dorsey’s first-ever tweet as an NFT for $2.9 million last year. He listed the NFT for sale again at $48 million last week.

I wish I could buy this delightful moment as an NFT. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

More reasons to hate the Cowboys

jerry-jones.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Cowboys' Jerry Jones announces first-ever NFL partnership with cryptocurrency company

Genuinely shocking it wasn't the Commanders to be the first team to take a dump in this particular pool.