JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

Interesting piece from The Verge about how bitcoin fundamentalists very much dislike the larger crypto scene.

I also enjoyed the bit where Peter Thiel starts listing out bitcoins' enemies and then talks about how ESG is "a factory for naming enemies. And we should not be allowing them to do that.”

To be entirely fair, I do actually have some respect for the hardcore bitcoin folk who honestly believe in its utility. So much of crypto was founded on idealism, but the majority of the scene now is a machine for finding greater fools in order to get rich quick. Of course, while I respect the idealism, I also think they're largely idiots who understand neither the system they want to replace nor the system they want to replace it with.

• Halal 1

Dang, checked my old employer RRSP (401k) today (I keep a spreadsheet month-to-month) and it dropped 10% from last month and is even year over year. Right now it's just passive, I am not putting anything new into that one or touching it in any way. Basically back to pre-2021 levels. Thanks Biden!

zfO8wnl.png

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

The sale of nonfungible tokens, or NFTs, fell to a daily average of about 19,000 this week, a 92% decline from a peak of about 225,000 in September, according to the data website NonFungible.

The sale of nonfungible tokens, or NFTs, fell to a daily average of about 19,000 this week, a 92% decline from a peak of about 225,000 in September, according to the data website NonFungible.

Many NFT owners are finding their investments are worth significantly less than when they bought them.

That lack of interest isn't unique. Interest in NFTs measured by the number of searches for the term peaked in January, according to Google Trends, and has fallen roughly 80% since then.

The imbalance between supply and demand is also hurting the NFT market. There are about five NFTs for every buyer, according to data from analytics firm Chainalysis. As of the end of April, there have been 9.2 million NFTs sold, which were bought by 1.8 million people, the firm said.

2b6

R7zdAO9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

It was always clear that the NFTs craze was a bubble. The question now is if it was a beanie baby like fad or if the larger crypto community actually believes in them and will keep caring about them.

My suspicion is that if NFTs lose their luster as potential get rich quick buys, then most people will stop caring about them entirely.

46 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My suspicion is that if NFTs lose their luster as potential get rich quick buys, then most people will stop caring about them entirely.

That would be my guess as well because NFTs are in actuality a useless technology that solves nothing :p Take away the ability to sucker people into thinking they're somehow worth something and it crumbles.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, legend said:

That would be my guess as well because NFTs are in actuality a useless technology that solves nothing :p Take away the ability to sucker people into thinking they're somehow worth something and it crumbles.

The only thing anyone has ever convinced me NFTs could be useful for is like... memberships. Like, owning an NFT that grants you access to something that has a fixed amount of users, and the membership can be bought and sold. Other than that, NFTs just seem to be solving a problem that doesn't exist.

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The only thing anyone has ever convinced me NFTs could be useful for is like... memberships. Like, owning an NFT that grants you access to something that has a fixed amount of users, and the membership can be bought and sold. Other than that, NFTs just seem to be solving a problem that doesn't exist.

I just don’t see the utility of that versus any other traditional membership verification system. 

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I just don’t see the utility of that versus any other traditional membership verification system. 

Sure, but I wouldn't say it's more or less useful than any other application. Just another option. Granted, it's one that is killing the planet, but whatever, we're all gonna die anyway.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Even that can (and often is) handled better by other permissioned systems. The best argument argument for NFTs is the creator doesn't want to set up any infrastructure for the sale of their items and would prefer to make management of that process the duty of everyone else on the blockchain in perpetuity at vastly less efficiency and with far greater security risks. In short, it only helps assholes exploit the population at large, which seems like it reflects the current situation well.

• Halal 2