Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14 May 2021) OT - Badassfully Remastered

Pikachu

On 5/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Vanguard was my first choice and because my go to for every play through I’ve ever done in the game. It looked like it would be the closest to feeling like a Jedi with a gun. And it never disappointed. 

I never liked the change to the class in ME2/3. Just not my play style, and it became all about violently teleporting into the face of an enemy and hitting them with a shotgun blast. For ME2/3 the Infiltrator became my go to class. 

Did u use shot gun mostly or power up pistol as well? Doing my first vanguard ever

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Some spoileryish stuff if you've never played the later games

TL:DW - Last Gen consoles don't hit 60 fps, PS4 pro runs the best except in cut scenes XboneX runs 60 fps cutscenes :silly: (XboneX has the best quality mode with steady 30 and no resolution drops at 4k)

Yep, I watched that entire video yesterday. Odd about the PS4 Pro running better than the X except for cutscenes. Overall, I'm downloaded ready to go play on my x on quality mode 30fps.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Some spoileryish stuff if you've never played the later games

TL:DW - Last Gen consoles don't hit 60 fps, PS4 pro runs the best except in cut scenes XboneX runs 60 fps cutscenes :silly: (XboneX has the best quality mode with steady 30 and no resolution drops at 4k)

Thanks. Gonna watch this soon.

Weird that last-gen can't run last-last-gen in 60. It's been great playing this on PS5.

8 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Did u use shot gun mostly or power up pistol as well? Doing my first vanguard ever

I almost never use shot gun. I have a decent one equipped, just in case, but this play through I’ve been using mostly pistol with powers and pulling out a sniper rifle for enemies further away. I don’t like to let enemies get close enough to me that a shotgun is the ideal weapon. But Wrex has a shotgun and he’s not bad with it. ;) 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know how many people have Kaiden in ME2, I don't think anyone likes him. :pBut then again some people think Ashley is a POS too. 🤷‍♀️

I wish I could have ordered them both to die.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Ok so I binged the entire first game over the past few days and it was pretty phenomenal.  I mostly avoided sidequests because they seemed pretty repetitive, and the main narrative became so compelling about halfway through that I just bee-lined the main story missions.  Took me about 15 hours total.  Some things didn't go as planned, but I generally like to live with my choices and mistakes in games rather than reloading a save and trying for optimal outcomes.  Some things that happened for those that are familiar with the game (this is my first time and I'm playing as male Shepard):

Reveal hidden contents

For the most part, I used Liara and Garrus in my squad.  Played as a Vanguard and maxed out Throw and leveled up Lift quite a bit.  Despite the complaints about it, I found the shooting to be really solid and fun.  The powers were fantastic and the combinations in your squad can create some really amazing outcomes.

I'm really, really looking forward to Mass Effect 2, because I can tell exactly where the games might improve as they move along.  ME2 has quite the reputation, and I can't wait to dive back into this universe and pick up where I left off.  Amazing stuff.

lmao, I am 15 hours into ME1 and I haven’t even been to Feros or Virmire yet. 

it’s not a big deal to skip side quests, though the result of some do make an appearance in later games. 

one thing you can do(if you like the game enough) after experiencing it for the first time is go back through them to make your ideal play through. Make all the “right” choices and see how it all plays out. And in that play through you can scoop up all the side quests too. 

man, I’ve really missed this franchise. 

don’t forget to read about the planets when you on the galaxy map. Some are boring, but there are some with some very interesting lore. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, best3444 said:

That's something I forgot about but that's cool as hell. 

Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Doesn't all your choices mean nothing at the end of part 3, though? I can't remember now but I remember that being such a major issue at the time.

Honestly, some of it comes down to the choices you made and which threads interest you. There’s absolutely some stuff that you can find interesting in 1 and 2 that gets hand waved away in 3. Some characters can get over what had been fundamental parts of their character pretty quickly. Things like that. A lot of it depends on what you do / find interesting. But I think it’s unfair to say the game just straight up doesn’t care about your choices.

I will say that I do think it’s fair to say that the game doesn’t end all that well or in a way that’s all that interesting.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honestly, some of it comes down to the choices you made and which threads interest you. There’s absolutely some stuff that you can find interesting in 1 and 2 that gets hand waved away in 3. Some characters can get over what had been fundamental parts of their character pretty quickly. Things like that. A lot of it depends on what you do / find interesting. But I think it’s unfair to say the game just straight up doesn’t care about your choices.

I will say that I do think it’s fair to say that the game doesn’t end all that well or in a way that’s all that interesting.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Thank you. This makes me feel better. 

“doesn’t care” is a bit harsh. Although in the original ending it could almost feel like “nothing mattered”. 

For myself and many in my circle one issue we had was that choices big or small didn’t have any larger impact in the game’s (and trilogy’s) climax. And then the original ending made it feel all the more pointless all the choices we made. 

like if you think about all that you could/would accomplish in your life, no matter how significant a life it was. Then think how much that matters in 1,000,000 years. That is kind of how ME3’s original ending felt, but it was immediate from your actions, and not a million years later. 

the patched ending fixed much of those feelings of “nothing mattered”. While not the best production value, it did feel much more like a proper ending. Not so much changing the ending, but elaborating greatly in areas that really needed it. 

the good news is the original ending is NOT in the Legendary Edition. It only exists in disc versions of the original ME3 that you have to play offline to see, and on YouTube. 

Alright, I'm a few hours into Mass Effect 2 and at this point I'm completely obsessed with these games.  I can't remember the last time that I was so into a game or series.  I sort of rushed through the first game, which was likely a mistake, but now that I have an understanding of the world I'm taking my sweet time and soaking everything in. 

It also helps that Mass Effect 2 does everything better than the first game.  I really enjoyed the combat in Mass Effect, but 2 is on another level and feels so far, with the combination of powers and the tactical options, like one of the better shooters I've ever played.  The important dialogue scenes are all much better directed, with dynamic camera movement that keeps you engaged throughout.  I've played the first several sections, and it's paced like a fantastic TV show, which really helps since I don't get long stretches to play, so I can hop in for an hour and make satisfying progress.  The inventory management and leveling is much more fluid and user-friendly, which I love because I'm allergic to menus in games.

I chose to be a Soldier in 2, although I played a Vanguard in the first game.  My reasoning is that since you control your squad powers, it seems less important what your individual skills are as you can basically use whatever powers you want (sans the specific class power), and it's nice to be able to handle any engagement from any range.

Mass Effect has, for a brief time at least, eased my cynicism about games in general.  I routinely find much more to appreciate about older games than I do new ones, but this is just on another level.  I can't believe I missed out on these, and feel so fortunate that I get to play then with all of the modern bells and whistles.

• Like 1

I'm now nearing the end of ME1! Its been a great ride once again, even if my Mako happen to have flipped on its back like a turtle for no apparent reason while screaming towards the conduit on Ilos! Talk about a drama/suspense killer! :lol:

• Haha 2

Taken another break today. Just feel tired. I won't be able to begin ME1 until Thursday.

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm now nearing the end of ME1! Its been a great ride once again, even if my Mako happen to have flipped on its back like a turtle for no apparent reason while screaming towards the conduit on Ilos! Talk about a drama/suspense killer! :lol:

Disappointing they didn't put more care in improving the MAKO. But according to @skillzdadirecta it works fine. It's the players issue if they can't control it right. :p

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Taken another break today. Just feel tired. I won't be able to begin ME1 until Thursday.

Disappointing they didn't put more care in improving the MAKO. But according to @skillzdadirecta it works fine. It's the players issue if they can't control it right. :p

I it controls the way a vehicle in light gravity SHOULD control. I had zero issues with it in the original game and they dumbed it down even more here. I remember back when Halo came out people complained about how the Warthog controlled too until they got used to it. I dunno... I think there's a difference between "These controls are bad" vs "I can't be bothered to learn the controls." Not saying that's @Mr.Vic20 but... yeah.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I it controls the way a vehicle in light gravity SHOULD control. I had zero issues with it in the original game and they dumbed it down even more here. I remember back when Halo came out people complained about how the Warthog controlled too until they got used to it. I dunno... I think there's a difference between "These controls are bad" vs "I can't be bothered to learn the controls." Not saying that's @Mr.Vic20 but... yeah.

I managed to run the Mako for the whole game without flipping it a single time until the IIlos run so I did OK, it was just wheels down one moment and the next, wheels up!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I believe you. I'll see for myself pretty shortly. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Well, I have to say I'm extremely impressed with this remaster! I was taken back at how good everything looked right from the gate. The sound is stunning and boy does this bring back great memories playing this again. 

I've only played 2 hours and just reached the citadel and the visuals are terrific! They did a fantastic job improving almost everything and I haven’t had a hitch in framerate at all. In fact, on Eden Prim it felt like it was running at 60fps and I'm playing on the visual performance mode (one x version).

This game is so good I kinda forgot. The conversions are awesome and really well done. Sure, Shepard isn't exactly the best when it comes to voice acting but everyone else is great. I love the combat and I'm just really having a good time.

I'm playing as a Vanguard for the first time and really haven't even used any abilities yet. I'm kinda confused on how to use them so I've used my weapons on Eden Prime. I think the combat is great and so far I have no issues with this at all. I'm really impressed.

Now granted, I haven't played these games since the launch on 360 so I know some of you are spoiled by the pc version with mods. For me, this had been a big enhancement especially the framerate. 

I'm really looking forward to beating this and the entire trilogy.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm playing as a Vanguard for the first time and really haven't even used any abilities yet. I'm kinda confused on how to use them so I've used my weapons on Eden Prime

You won’t have access to much on Eden Prime. Maybe just throw. But for later, hold RB bring up your power wheel for your powers and your party members. Look at enemy, pick ability, slay. You can also bind one power to tap RB for quick use. 

FYI using ally powers counts toward the ability achievements to use specific abilities x number of times. 

• Thanks 1