Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14 May 2021) OT - Badassfully Remastered

Pikachu

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Can you get a platinum on the first playthrough? I know in the original game you could only get all the achivements if you replayed the game a couple of times. Did they change the achivements?

they did. most of them are story and doing x thing x amount of times lol.

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Started the first game and loving it.  I'm wondering what the recommendations for classes are?  I think someone said Soldier was boring, but I generally am combat focused in these types of games so I chose Vanguard - is that a solid choice or is there something else that's better for a newcomer to these games?

Vanguard was my first choice and because my go to for every play through I’ve ever done in the game. It looked like it would be the closest to feeling like a Jedi with a gun. And it never disappointed. 

I never liked the change to the class in ME2/3. Just not my play style, and it became all about violently teleporting into the face of an enemy and hitting them with a shotgun blast. For ME2/3 the Infiltrator became my go to class. 

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

God I want to play this now! So close to beating the Village so not too long now. 

@johnny about how long did it take you to beat ME1?

I'd have to look when I get home but probably around 25-30 hours. But you can mainline the game way quicker. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnny said:

I'd have to look when I get home but probably around 25-30 hours. But you can mainline the game way quicker. 

I'll probably mainline all 3 and stay away from side quests. I honestly forget a lot about these games because it's been so long. I'm assuming there are side quests lol.

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll probably mainline all 3 and stay away from side quests. I honestly forget a lot about these games because it's been so long. I'm assuming there are side quests lol.

there are some good side quests though! 

23 minutes ago, johnny said:

there are some good side quests though! 

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes there are.

Looks like I won't be main lining these games, then. I'm glad I forgot a lot so now it will be a fresh experience overall. I obviously remember characters and some locations. The lore sticks with you, too. I just forget about the quest system really. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Looks like I won't be main lining these games, then. I'm glad I forgot a lot so now it will be a fresh experience overall. I obviously remember characters and some locations. The lore sticks with you, too. I just forget about the quest system really. 

Some of the choices you make in the side quests carry over to subsequent games. You definitely shouldn't skip them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Some of the choices you make in the side quests carry over to subsequent games. You definitely shouldn't skip them.

That's something I forgot about but that's cool as hell. 

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Doesn't all your choices mean nothing at the end of part 3, though? I can't remember now but I remember that being such a major issue at the time.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's something I forgot about but that's cool as hell. 

Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Not in my opnion but that was the internet's take at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so I binged the entire first game over the past few days and it was pretty phenomenal.  I mostly avoided sidequests because they seemed pretty repetitive, and the main narrative became so compelling about halfway through that I just bee-lined the main story missions.  Took me about 15 hours total.  Some things didn't go as planned, but I generally like to live with my choices and mistakes in games rather than reloading a save and trying for optimal outcomes.  Some things that happened for those that are familiar with the game (this is my first time and I'm playing as male Shepard):

Spoiler

Wrex died!!  Bummed me out.

I romanced Liara.  I was sort of flirting with Ashley but it came to a head sooner than expected.

I let Kaiden sacrifice himself and saved Ashley.

I opted to save the council in the end, and recommended Anderson.

For the most part, I used Liara and Garrus in my squad.  Played as a Vanguard and maxed out Throw and leveled up Lift quite a bit.  Despite the complaints about it, I found the shooting to be really solid and fun.  The powers were fantastic and the combinations in your squad can create some really amazing outcomes.

I'm really, really looking forward to Mass Effect 2, because I can tell exactly where the games might improve as they move along.  ME2 has quite the reputation, and I can't wait to dive back into this universe and pick up where I left off.  Amazing stuff.

11 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Ok so I binged the entire first game over the past few days and it was pretty phenomenal.  I mostly avoided sidequests because they seemed pretty repetitive, and the main narrative became so compelling about halfway through that I just bee-lined the main story missions.  Took me about 15 hours total.  Some things didn't go as planned, but I generally like to live with my choices and mistakes in games rather than reloading a save and trying for optimal outcomes.  Some things that happened for those that are familiar with the game (this is my first time and I'm playing as male Shepard):

Hide contents

I romanced Liara.  I was sort of flirting with Ashley but it came to a head sooner than expected.

For the most part, I used Liara and Garrus in my squad.  Played as a Vanguard and maxed out Throw and leveled up Lift quite a bit.  Despite the complaints about it, I found the shooting to be really solid and fun.  The powers were fantastic and the combinations in your squad can create some really amazing outcomes.

I'm really, really looking forward to Mass Effect 2, because I can tell exactly where the games might improve as they move along.  ME2 has quite the reputation, and I can't wait to dive back into this universe and pick up where I left off.  Amazing stuff.

Shooting and combat get much better in 2 and 3. One thing I'll say is

Spoiler

Wrex dying suuuucccckkkkkkkksssss. UGH, it's so much better to have Wrex with you. Totally respect just going along with even bad decisions, though.

One thing though: since you didn't do side quests, you didn't do one that made it impossible to Wrex for die (that is, unless the player straight up chooses to kill him). Live and learn!

16 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

wrex dying is a big bummer. :(  romancing liara is a good choice. 

16 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Reveal hidden contents

You are in for a treat when you get to Mass Effect 2. The combat and gameplay in this series really improves with each subsequent game culminating in Andromeda which has the best combat by far but the worse story. I would HIGHLY suggest doing the sidequests in the 2nd game... one COULD argue the whole game is one big sidequest. You miss out on a lot of lore and world building by not doing the sidequests in these games. I was legit amazed when I went back and replayed the first game years ago at how much content I missed. Same with the second game.

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Shooting and combat get much better in 2 and 3. One thing I'll say is

Hide contents

Wrex dying suuuucccckkkkkkkksssss. UGH, it's so much better to have Wrex with you. Totally respect just going along with even bad decisions, though.

One thing though: since you didn't do side quests, you didn't do one that made it impossible to Wrex for die (that is, unless the player straight up chooses to kill him). Live and learn!

4 minutes ago, johnny said:
  Hide contents

wrex dying is a big bummer. :(  romancing liara is a good choice. 

Spoiler

I know!!  I thought I was making the right dialogue choices and was trying to de-escalate the situation but apparently I messed up somewhere.  I had heard about Wrex before even beginning the game so I figured he was a prominent character.  The whole genophage situation and then Ashley killing him came out of left field.  Didn't know about the sidequest possibility either.

Spoiler

Ashley capped Wrex in my very first playthrough all those years ago as well.  I remember being utterly shocked.  Did not expect Ashley to step forward and double tap the guy like that.  I didn't let it happen in subsequent playthroughs.

2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Hide contents

I know!!  I thought I was making the right dialogue choices and was trying to de-escalate the situation but apparently I messed up somewhere.  I had heard about Wrex before even beginning the game so I figured he was a prominent character.  The whole genophage situation and then Ashley killing him came out of left field.  Didn't know about the sidequest possibility either.

Spoiler

I think if you don't have enough paragon/renegade/charm/intimidate, you can't successfully talk him down. That, or the side mission that cements his trust toward you. Ashley killing him caught a ton of people off guard; some people never forgave her. :p 

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know how many people have Kaiden in ME2, I don't think anyone likes him. :pBut then again some people think Ashley is a POS too. 🤷‍♀️

I've had Ashley ever run I've ever done but I'm pretty sure I'm 

Spoiler

going with Kaiden this time. Might as well.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Hide contents

Very cool. I'm thinking I'll take my time with part 1 with side quests and making decisions. I only played part 1 once I believe so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just hoping it runs smoothly on my one x. 

Yes, part 2 is incredible so get ready for a fantastic ride!

14 hours ago, johnny said:

ashley is not a great person but a much more interesting character 

Yeah Ashley is basically a Human Supremacist :p

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

Basically don't pick the middle dialogue option. That's the neutral option and often doesn't lead anywere. You should really only pick it if you're trying to avoid getting either paragon or renegade points. 

Also put points into either CHarm or Intimidate or both. You can resolve a lot of conflcts or get more options with those in your arsenal.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah Ashley is basically a Human Supremacist :p

Also put points into either CHarm or Intimidate or both. You can resolve a lot of conflcts or get more options with those in your arsenal.

Just cleared Virmire using charisma skill  to resolve the Wrex crisis and I strapped the space racist Ashly to the nuke! :sun:

• Haha 2