Indiana Jones and the Great Circle (set between "Raiders" and "Crusade" | 2024) - "Official Gameplay Reveal" trailer

number305

• 2 years later...

I’m a little disappointed it’s not third person but it does look really good so I’m sure I’ll get over it after playing it. I loved TNC so I trust them to make a good game here, but I had just pictured a third person indy game this entire time.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m a little disappointed it’s not third person but it does look really good so I’m sure I’ll get over it after playing it. I loved TNC so I trust them to make a good game here, but I had just pictured a third person indy game this entire time.

I think that if MachineGames attempted to make a 3rd person game, the world would implode...in first person of course. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think that if MachineGames attempted to make a 3rd person game, the world would implode...in first person of course. 

I do suppose it should have been obvious given the developer :p

• Haha 1

The coolest part of Wolfenstein 2 was the wacky over-the-top story.  I ended up turning the difficulty down to easy, just because I liked the traversal/story more than the combat.

I don't know how I feel about what I saw.

Do the graphics have a slightly last-gen look to them?  There was something that looked "overly sharp" about them.  And the lighting looked "off" to me.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indiana Jones and the Great Circle (set between Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, 2024) - "Official Gameplay Reveal" trailer
1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Do the graphics have a slightly last-gen look to them?  There was something that looked "overly sharp" about them.  And the lighting looked "off" to me.

I absolutely thought the same thing as well.

It definitely ain't a "looker", but that's far from a deal-breaker for me!

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

What is the real Great Circle, and what can it tell us about the new Indy game?

"Throughout history, mankind has built sites of great spiritual significance. If you were to draw a line through these ancient sites around the globe, you get a perfectly aligned circle." At the end of the trailer, Indy discovers evidence of the "protectors of the Circuli Magni: The Great Circle."

It's a great premise for an Indy game—a global circle of ancient wonders and a secret society that protects them—but it wasn't just made up by MachineGames: The Great Circle is an actual semi-obscure internet theory that's been kicking around for decades. What is the "real" Great Circle, and what might it tell us about the Indy game? Get your map pins and conspiracy yarn out and let's investigate.

The "real" Great Circle theory

The specific Great Circle we're talking about comes from a blogger named Jim Alison (at least, he's the earliest reference I can find for the theory online). Sometime around 2001, Alison published an article that charted 17 ancient sites, including the Great Pyramid of Giza, Machu Picchu, Nazca, and Easter Island, that happen to align near-perfectly on a single great circle. We know Indy makes a stop at the Giza pyramid from the trailer, so that's a solid clue we're talking about the same cricle here. Not every site aligns exactly with the circle, but each one listed is no more than 5-25 miles away. It's kind of a neat observation:

QeXUEJkBBTL5GaurWwJzLJ-970-80.jpg.webp

Does the Great Circle actually mean anything?

Perhaps the Great Circle's inherent mathy-ness is what's held it back as an internet conspiracy. A few fringe science sites have cited Alison's blog in their summaries of the Great Circle and there's an odd video about it here and there, but it hasn't left a big impression on the conspiracy community. Maybe it's because it's so easy to dismiss: you could draw a line around the globe anywhere and make thin connections between the historical places that align with it. A comment on a 2013 Reddit thread about the theory from user Vietoris sums it up best, I think:

"Any line going around the Nile delta or the valley between Tigris and Euphrates is bound to cross some very ancient landmarks. Surely if it weren't the great pyramids, Petra and Persepolis, it would have been the great library of Alexandria, Abu Simbel, Thebes, Mount Sinai, Babylon, Jericho, …"

The highest-profile appearance of Alison's research came in a 2019 TEDx talk from self-described "inventor, researcher, filmmaker, skeptic, story teller and explainer" Roger G. Gilbertson, who used Alison's Great Circle as a call to action for scientists to search Earth's seabeds for yet-undiscovered ancient civilizations. A note from TED added in the description of the YouTube upload flagged the talk for sharing claims that "only represent the speaker's personal views which are not corroborated by scientific evidence."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indiana Jones and the Great Circle (set between "Raiders" and "Crusade" | 2024) - "Official Gameplay Reveal" trailer
25 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

3rd person makes this an automatic pass for me. If it was an evolution of Uncharted/Tomb Raider I’d be excited. But it’s not. So fuck it. 

It’s in 1st person bud 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

On 1/21/2024 at 4:56 PM, Mercury33 said:

3rd person makes this an automatic pass for me. If it was an evolution of Uncharted/Tomb Raider I’d be excited. But it’s not. So fuck it. 

I could edit it this. But I have chosen to live with my shame. 

On 1/18/2024 at 4:12 PM, best3444 said:

I know Indy rarely used guns but I hope in this you can use a gun throughout. The whip might get to repetitive. 

I actually kinda hope the opposite. There are TONS of FPS games out there. The fighting in the movies was mostly fist fights and/or smartly taking advantage of the environment. Rarely was fighting just about fighting... it was about rescuing/chasing/obtaining someone or something. Overall, I hope the combat in the game has some plot driven reason vs just mowing down the bad guys.