Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

What's so hard about saying 'police reform?' or 'laws against police brutality?'

Why even go the defund the police route when it sounds like you're abolishing them?

And that’s exactly how people with an attention span of a squirrel read it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xbob42 said:

I know y'all are getting slaughtered in the streets on the daily but could you word your anti-police slogan in a way that doesn't make me uncomfortable?

Police reform isn't anti-police, which again makes the point: if you're making your pitch to Americans, there's no reason for Americans to separate "defund" from "abolish."

Republicans try to push anti-LGBTQ laws as "religious liberty." Make your pitch in a way that you don't have to explain it so much.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I know y'all are getting slaughtered in the streets on the daily but could you word your anti-police slogan in a way that doesn't make me uncomfortable?

How about “word it in a way that actually gains support for it and doesn’t make it an easy target for Republican fear mongering to stop the people who would enact it from getting elected”?

Words matter.

• Thanks 1

Not only is “defunding” off putting too many in the electorate, it’s also not necessarily even efficacious. I’m as liberal as they come and I’m all for increasing funding to make police pay competitive to draw in only the best and to greatly enhance training. “Defund the police” misses the point. It’s an awful slogan that doesn’t fix anything and only incites more division. It’s awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

it immediately requires a lot of explaining regarding what it means. It can easily be interpreted as abolishing the police department. If you’re explaining you’re losing in a political campaign. Polls show it is unpopular even as Americans want police reform. Messaging matters. 

Anyway there is a lot more to why democrats lost. Trump’s strong man image has had unique effects. I’m curious if Texas will swing a little more blue in 2022 when Trump isn’t on the ballot again. 

It’s been a tough break for Texas. Even if it wasn’t going to go blue, I thought we would at least makes some gains in the state house. It didn’t happen. Tough election even as Trump losses. 

6 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

it immediately requires a lot of explaining regarding what it means. It can easily be interpreted as abolishing the police department. If you’re explaining you’re losing in a political campaign. Polls show it is unpopular even as Americans want police reform. Messaging matters. 

im fucking exhausted trying to explain what the true intentions of the "Defund the police" movement are to people here in redneck suburbia. it was an awful choice and absolutely helped in damn near losing this election. 

• Thanks 1

🤷‍♂️👌🖕

To those of you who voted for Biden. You had better own it for the next four years if he wins (its looking like he may). I don't want to hear you complain about your taxes going up or gas prices doubling. I don't want you to complain when your health insurance cost go up even further than they already are. Don't complain when you bring home less on your paycheck because you're being penalized for climate justice. Don't complain when you lose your job because 15 million illegal immigrants suddenly become legal and your employer decides to hire someone at a lower wage. Don't complain when your job is just out right eliminated because the minimum wage is to high and your employer can no longer afford to stay open or even pay you. Don't complain when your automotive or industrial job is eliminated because its shipped back to China. Dont complain when interest rates double or even triple and homes/automobiles are not as affordable as they use to be. Don't complain when your stocks and 401k take a massive hit. Don't complain when we are locked into more endless wars in the middle east. Don't complain when your otherwise safe communities are overrun by crime and start resembling Chicago, Portland, Seattle, and Baltimore. Don't complain when the educational system goes down and higher education becomes unaffordable. You obviously didn't vote your paycheck or your future. You voted your feelings. Unfortunately facts don't care about your feelings and you will soon (sadly) learn this under a Biden/Harris administration. Just own it. Also when the new administration makes a play for all of our legally owned weapons don't look to me for support, safety, or compliance. I will be fighting to the death to defend my GOD GIVEN 2nd Amendment rights... COPIED AND PASTED.
📷

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, atom631 said:

im fucking exhausted trying to explain what the true intentions of the "Defund the police" movement are to people here in redneck suburbia. it was an awful choice and absolutely helped in damn near losing this election. 

Thank you for admitting this.  

Folks if it wasn't "defund the police" (a position held by very few people, let alone people in a decision making capacity) it would be something else

But unless and until there's actual data, flawed as it is, to say this was a problem you're just parroting things said by idiots like rep spanberger

The difference is it appears trump found and activated new voters who for some reason supported his bullshit, while Dems didn't succeed to the relative degree that he did

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

🤷‍♂️👌🖕

To those of you who voted for Biden. You had better own it for the next four years if he wins (its looking like he may). I don't want to hear you complain about your taxes going up or gas prices doubling. I don't want you to complain when your health insurance cost go up even further than they already are. Don't complain when you bring home less on your paycheck because you're being penalized for climate justice. Don't complain when you lose your job because 15 million illegal immigrants suddenly become legal and your employer decides to hire someone at a lower wage. Don't complain when your job is just out right eliminated because the minimum wage is to high and your employer can no longer afford to stay open or even pay you. Don't complain when your automotive or industrial job is eliminated because its shipped back to China. Dont complain when interest rates double or even triple and homes/automobiles are not as affordable as they use to be. Don't complain when your stocks and 401k take a massive hit. Don't complain when we are locked into more endless wars in the middle east. Don't complain when your otherwise safe communities are overrun by crime and start resembling Chicago, Portland, Seattle, and Baltimore. Don't complain when the educational system goes down and higher education becomes unaffordable. You obviously didn't vote your paycheck or your future. You voted your feelings. Unfortunately facts don't care about your feelings and you will soon (sadly) learn this under a Biden/Harris administration. Just own it. Also when the new administration makes a play for all of our legally owned weapons don't look to me for support, safety, or compliance. I will be fighting to the death to defend my GOD GIVEN 2nd Amendment rights... COPIED AND PASTED.
📷

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

8 minutes ago, Comet said:

Not only is “defunding” off putting too many in the electorate, it’s also not necessarily even efficacious. I’m as liberal as they come and I’m all for increasing funding to make police pay competitive to draw in only the best and to greatly enhance training. “Defund the police” misses the point. It’s an awful slogan that doesn’t fix anything and only incites more division. It’s awful. 

I don’t think defunding the police misses the point at all. In Mass it’s a known thing that staties routinely lie about overtime and abuse of overtime pay is practically in the handbook. A couple years back, 11% of the Boston city budget went to BPD overtime alone. I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere but Mass State and Boston city police are extremely well paid and a non trivial amount of that compensation is fraudulent. 

Do I think defund the police sounds bad as a slogan? Yes. Does it need to be done in many states and cities? Also yes. 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

I don’t know how it was played in other states, but republicans did a masterful job in using it to attack democrats in Texas.  Abbott launched his ‘Back the Blue‘ campaign and circulated a petition which nearly all the gop in Texas signed. I didn’t imagine it hurting this bad, but I think it hurt bad. I even saw some signs in my middle class neighborhood that is generally heavy Democrat. I applaud the GOP for being so good at politics. They pounced right when they saw an opening. 

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

And let's be real, the people sharing what I just copied are going to be the ones complaining.  Then they're going to call us Democrybabies.

And they're the ones that showed up 70+ million strong to vote. So this shitty thinking can't be brushed off. 

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

The greed of so many Americans is astounding to me.

It just genuinely does not compute in my brain that personally paying less money for gas or taxes is an issue more important than dehumanizing immigrants or being pro-facism.

Besides the destruction levied on Americans by Fox News, I think the dissolution of any sense of "community" has really done a number on us. 

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Folks if it wasn't "defund the police" (a position held by very few people, let alone people in a decision making capacity) it would be something else

But unless and until there's actual data, flawed as it is, to say this was a problem you're just parroting things said by idiots like rep spanberger

The difference is it appears trump found and activated new voters who for some reason supported his bullshit, while Dems didn't succeed to the relative degree that he did

You are correct that we can't know how the polls did or why people voted how they did without all votes being counted.

It's still a stupid slogan.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The greed of so many Americans is astounding to me.

It just genuinely does not compute in my brain that personally paying less money for gas or taxes is an issue more important than dehumanizing immigrants or being pro-facism.

The motto of the modern GOP:

"Fuck you, got mine"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think defunding the police misses the point at all. In Mass it’s a known thing that staties routinely lie about overtime and abuse of overtime pay is practically in the handbook. A couple years back, 11% of the Boston city budget went to BPD overtime alone. I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere but Mass State and Boston city police are extremely well paid and a non trivial amount of that compensation is fraudulent. 

Do I think defund the police sounds bad as a slogan? Yes. Does it need to be done in many states and cities? Also yes. 

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don’t know how it was played in other states, but republicans did a masterful job in using it to attack democrats in Texas.  Abbott launched his ‘Back the Blue‘ campaign and circulated a petition which nearly all the gop in Texas signed. I didn’t imagine it hurting this bad, but I think it hurt bad. I even saw some signs in my middle class neighborhood that is generally heavy Democrat. I applaud the GOP for being so good at politics. They pounced right when they saw an opening. 

@b_m_b_m_b_m - police reform. just call it police reform. defund the police to the people who only read headlines sounds EXACTLY what they thought it was. I agree that we need to wait and see what the data shows, but its apparent tha the term missed the mark in conveying the true intentions. 

@Kal-El814 i dont think anyone is arguing that defund the police is wrong in its scope - but the term is terrible. 

@Massdriver this is purely my opinion - but I said it a few pages back - People around here in lily white Suffolk County, Long Island went absolutely ape shit when Black Lives Matter and Defund the Police were used in conjunction. Every redneck's pickup truck made room for a Blue Lives Matter flag next to their Trump cult flag. Every soccer mom on my facebook community and school pages changed their profile pics to a Blue Lives Matter  pic. 

an ex-colleague of mine that I keep in touch with at the beginning of the year was anti-trump, flipped. When i saw a post of his being very pro-trump - i PM'd him and asked what changed his mind - and it was "the safety of my family is my top priority". 

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Speaking of CIA Barbie, I'm pretty sure this entire thread is directed at her after her performance on yesterday's conference call:

• Like 3