Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You are correct that we can't know how the polls did or why people voted how they did without all votes being counted.

It's still a stupid slogan.

21 minutes ago, atom631 said:

@b_m_b_m_b_m - police reform. just call it police reform. defund the police to the people who only read headlines sounds EXACTLY what they thought it was. I agree that we need to wait and see what the data shows, but its apparent tha the term missed the mark in conveying the true intentions. 

@Kal-El814 i dont think anyone is arguing that defund the police is wrong in its scope - but the term is terrible. 

@Massdriver this is purely my opinion - but I said it a few pages back - People around here in lily white Suffolk County, Long Island went absolutely ape shit when Black Lives Matter and Defund the Police were used in conjunction. Every redneck's pickup truck made room for a Blue Lives Matter flag next to their Trump cult flag. Every soccer mom on my facebook community and school pages changed their profile pics to a Blue Lives Matter  pic. 

an ex-colleague of mine that I keep in touch with at the beginning of the year was anti-trump, flipped. When i saw a post of his being very pro-trump - i PM'd him and asked what changed his mind - and it was "the safety of my family is my top priority". 

I'm gonna reply to both of these at the same time because they both feed into the point I'm gonna try to make here.

The phrase, while accurate in what the organizers wish to accomplish, I also believe is politically not helpful (but it's impact is undetermined) it comes from the democratic tradition of being technically correct but politically stupid and increasingly radical sounding. The rhetoric from the left and center left is continually radicalizing because the establishment will take the demands at face value instead of looking at the subtext. What is proposed, using the term "police reform" or "police accountability" or whatever doesn't work because when establishment figures hear reform, they take that to heart and do as little as possible and (correctly!) call it reform. The right does the opposite, they realize that the messaging is far more important than what actually happens behind closed doors.*

Take virginia for example. Democratic trifecta, so no complaining about Republicans. This summer and fall they held a special session of the legislature to tackle policing. All of this energy was pushed legislatively to...do some reform (no no-knock warrants, limiting searches based on the smell of pot, etc) but left a lot of what could be even a little radical at the table (merely limiting qualified immunity, redirecting police budgets, etc) and in fact gave the cops, who spent the summer gassing their cities, a bonus! Cops are generally popular and reform is popular, but you call it reform it should be meaningful reform.

You could see this somewhat starting to change when there was the (now dead) possibility of packing the courts. This terminology isn't great politically, though accurate! But there was a fairly concerted effort to rebrand this as "court reform" or similar politically palpable language with even many establishment figures getting the wink and a nod to do more than mere reform. There's real value in the democratic party having a moderate tone, but sometimes it needs to be better about taking a page from the republican playbook and keeping that moderate tone and messaging but then during the legislative sausage making, occasionally put something spicy in there.

Republicans need to strike now.

Instead of indulging in his fantasies about how Biden could never beat the Donald they need to bring out the knives while he is at his weakest.

Convince the base that Trump lost the election for them while so many other Republicans won when they weren't supposed to. Portray him as weak.

I am giving this free advice to you soulless ghouls because for once our interests line up! You don't want him running again in 2024 because a 78 year old, dementia riddled Donald would be a disaster. I don't want him to run again because this country appears to be stupid enough to still elect him again despite that!

Just now, Chairslinger said:

Instead of indulging in his fantasies about how Biden could never beat the Donald they need to bring out the knives while he is at his weakest.

Convince the base that Trump lost the election for them while so many other Republicans won when they weren't supposed to. Portray him as weak.

I am giving this free advice to you soulless ghouls because for once our interests line up! You don't want him running again in 2024 because a 78 year old, dementia riddled Donald would be a disaster. I don't want him to run again because this country appears to be stupid enough to still elect him again despite that!

IF a Trump Presidency isn't an endorsement of the need for college for all then I don't know what is! 

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Someone needs to tell Trump that fighting the results in PA and GA will cost a lot of money - money that he could otherwise pocket for himself. 

Well, to be fair if he doesn't spend that money to try and fight the results it'll all end up being gobbled up by his creditors anyway.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It's a shame Democrats aren't as scared of their base as Republicans are of theirs. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm glad I took the entire week off.  I was able to watch pretty much the entire time.  I do have 2 tons of landscaping rock being dropped off at my house later today, so I have a bunch of shoveling to look forward to.  What are all of you doing with the rest of your week?

Sleep well finally, workout, make food. 

2 minutes ago, silentbob said:

So what kind of letter would Trump leave for Biden. Will it be in crayon, sharpie or serial killer cut out words from his vast collection of fast food menus 

“You cheater. . . . don’t lock me up”

”I left a turd in a room and I’m not telling you which one”

He won't.