Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

37 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Early polling shows Biden is more popular after both conventions. Trump is not.

rnc_dnc-083020_0.jpg

Clarification: Biden is unchanged since last week as well, but his numbers last week were post Democratic National Convention. Meaning despite the attacks on Biden, his favorability rating is the same post-RNC, and Biden's favorability actually did increase after the DNC.

Wait, Trump only has a 31% approval rating?  How the fuck?  I thought it was at 40% or so?

30 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Wait, Trump only has a 31% approval rating?  How the fuck?  I thought it was at 40% or so?

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It is at 40% in the aggregate.

Both are right.

From what I'm seeing, he has 40% approval, but 30% favorability. So there are some people who don't have a favorable view of him who still approve overall of his job performance.

The splits between officer and enlisted views within the poll are notable. More than 59 percent of officers said they have a poor view of the president, with more than half saying they strongly disapprove.

Among enlisted respondents, 47 percent said they have an unfavorable view, and nearly 39 percent a favorable view. Enlisted views of Trump’s performance in office have consistently been more favorable than those of officers in the poll over the last four years.

• Thanks 1

Biden is giving a speech today on the violence over the weekend and overall violence from many counter-protesters (I can't get it to link directly to the article, but it's in this list). From the news analysis I've heard, you'll hear two different themes from Biden and Trump: Biden polls better on race relations and being a unity candidate, while Trump polls a bit better on crime (for whatever reason not based on what's actually happening).

I feel this speech is aiming not just to further Trump's poor polling on race relations but tying that into crime and violence. 

“He may believe mouthing the words ‘law and order’ makes him strong, but his failure to call on his own supporters to stop acting as an armed militia in this country shows you how weak he is,” Biden will say, according to the excerpts. “Does anyone believe there will be less violence in America if Donald Trump is reelected?”

“We need justice in America. And we need safety in America. We are facing multiple crises — crises that, under Donald Trump, keep multiplying,” Biden plans to say. “Covid. Economic devastation. Unwarranted police violence. Emboldened white nationalists. A reckoning on race. Declining faith in a bright American future. The common thread? An incumbent president who makes things worse, not better. An incumbent president who sows chaos rather than providing order.”

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Post-convention bounce, you mean?

No, I'm not concerned about the convention as much as I am about other events affecting voters. Some new polls show some indications it is tightening, regardless of what people here say. But it's unclear until more polls come in.

Edited 

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

No, I'm not concerned about the convention., although it takes place at the same time. I just waiting for some new polls because there are some indications it is tightening, regardless of what people say here. But it's unclear until more polls come in.

Chill dude

Also be mindful of anything RCP puts out, too.

35 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Biden is giving a speech today on the violence over the weekend and overall violence from many counter-protesters (I can't get it to link directly to the article, but it's in this list). From the news analysis I've heard, you'll hear two different themes from Biden and Trump: Biden polls better on race relations and being a unity candidate, while Trump polls a bit better on crime (for whatever reason not based on what's actually happening).

I feel this speech is aiming not just to further Trump's poor polling on race relations but tying that into crime and violence. 

This is the best strategy Biden can take: Attack Trump for being weak. It's the best tactic to use against strongmen. Don't play defense, play offense, and paint them as ineffectual and floundering.

Yeah, there's really not much evidence. There was a wee bit of some a few weeks ago, for sure, but Biden's favorability this week is better than two weeks ago, while Trump's is stagnant and in some cases worse.

I think Biden voters regardless of ideology are freaking out because they think violence -> crime -> Trump will take advantage of that better. Can't say I don't get that, but there are two sides to the violence. In Biden's case, framing this as Trump encouraging violence and being crappy on race relations is an area that people view Biden as stronger than Trump. Maybe Trump will change the narrative, but it's harder for him to talk about carnage while he's the incumbent. Trump's numbers soared after his 2016 convention; they didn't this year.

Long-short: we don't have to wait for polling to see if there's tightening based on the betting markets. We need to wait for high-quality polling (pollsters say it may be a couple weeks) to get any sense. That's probably why people are cautioning about RCP using bad pollsters and not weighting them, especially with the lack of other polling.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think Biden voters regardless of ideology are freaking out because they think violence -> crime -> Trump will take advantage of that better. Can't say I don't get that, but there are two sides to the violence. In Biden's case, framing this as Trump encouraging violence and being crappy on race relations is an area that people view Biden as stronger than Trump. Maybe Trump will change the narrative, but it's harder for him to talk about carnage while he's the incumbent. Trump's numbers soared after his 2016 convention; they didn't this year.

Long-short: we don't have to wait for polling to see if there's tightening based on the betting markets. We need to wait for high-quality polling (pollsters say it may be a couple weeks) to get any sense. That's probably why people are cautioning about RCP using bad pollsters and not weighting them, especially with the lack of other polling.

Without the freaking out part, I'm simply waiting for more high quality polls after all the shootings and violence. I want to know if this is having an effect or not. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

5 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Without the freaking out part, I'm simply waiting for more high quality polls after all the shootings and violence. I want to know if this is having an effect or not. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

Well, I mean freaking out on a whole since that part of Twitter and Reset are in despair. :p 

I found a site that has the transcript but it's written a bit shoddy, so excuse any errors you see.

So first, a shot fired at Trump's mental capacity as well as linking Trump to a rise in crime:

He keeps telling you if only he was president, it wouldn’t happen. If he was president. He keeps telling us that if he was president you’d feel safe. Well, he is president. Whether he knows it or not.

And linking Trump to the rise in crime, which I'm sure they'll put into ads:

And I find it fascinating. “You won’t be safe in Joe Biden’s America.” And what’s their proof? The violence we’re seeing in Donald Trump’s America. These are not images of some imagined Joe Biden America in the future. These are images of Donald Trump’s America today. 

He also links low crime to Democratic control in cities:

But look, if Donald Trump wants to ask the question, “Who will keep you safer as president?” Let’s answer that question. First, some simple facts. When I was vice president, violent crime fell 15% in this country. We did it without chaos and disorder. And yes, we did it with democratic mayors in most of the major cities in this country. The murder right now is up 26% across the nation this year under Donald Trump. Do you really feel safer under Donald Trump?

Linking Trump to the looting and violence:

Looting is not protesting. Setting fires is not protesting. None of this is protesting. It’s lawlessness, plain and simple. And those who do it should be prosecuted. Violence will not bring change, it will only bring destruction. It’s wrong in every way. It divides instead of unites, destroys businesses, only hurts the working families that serve the community. It makes things worse across the board, not better.

It’s not what Dr. King or John Lewis taught and it must end. Fires are burning and we have a president who fans the flames rather than fighting the flames. But we must not burn, we have to build. This president, long ago, forfeited any moral leadership in this country. He can’t stop the violence because for years he’s formatted it. He may believe mouthing the words law and order makes him strong. But his failure to call on his own supporters to stop acting as an armed militia in this country shows how weak he is. Does anyone believe there’ll be less violence in America if Donald Trump is reelected?

And utilizing a similar strategy Obama did to McCain in 2008 when McCain's adviser said they want to turn the page on the economy:

I want a safe America, safe from COVID, safe from crime and looting, safe from racially motivated violence, safe from bad cops. Let me be crystal clear, safe from four more years of Donald Trump. I look at this violence and I see lives and communities and the dreams of small businesses being destroyed and the opportunity for real progress on issues of race and police reform and justice being put to the test. Donald Trump looks at this violence and he sees a political lifeline. Having failed to protect this nation from the virus that has killed more than 180,000 Americans so far, Trump posts an all caps tweet, screaming, “LAW AND ORDER,” to save his campaign.

One of his closest political advisers in the White House doesn’t even bother to speak in code, just comes out and she says it. “The more chaos, violence, the better it is for Trump’s reelection.” Just think about that. This is a sitting president of the United States of America. He’s supposed to be protecting this country, but instead he’s rooting for chaos and violence. The simple truth is Donald Trump failed to protect America. So now he’s trying to scare America. Since Donald Trump and Mike Pence can’t run on their record that has seen more American deaths to a virus, this virus, than the nation suffered in every war since Korea combined, since they can’t run on their economy that has seen more people lose their jobs than any time since the Great Depression, since they can’t run on a simple proposition of sending our children safely back to school, since they have no agenda or vision for a second term, Trump and Pence are running on this.

And speaking to independents:

Donald Trump has been a toxic presence in our nation for four years. Poisoning how we talk to one another, poisoning how we treat one another, poisoning the values this nation has always held dear, poisoning our very democracy. Now, in just a little over 60 days, we have a decision to make. Will we rid ourselves of this toxin or will we make it a permanent part of our nation’s character?

• Like 1

I want a safe America, safe from COVID, safe from crime and looting, safe from racially motivated violence, safe from bad cops. Let me be crystal clear, safe from four more years of Donald Trump. I look at this violence and I see lives and communities and the dreams of small businesses being destroyed and the opportunity for real progress on issues of race and police reform and justice being put to the test. Donald Trump looks at this violence and he sees a political lifeline. Having failed to protect this nation from the virus that has killed more than 180,000 Americans so far, Trump posts an all caps tweet, screaming, “LAW AND ORDER,” to save his campaign.

One of his closest political advisers in the White House doesn’t even bother to speak in code, just comes out and she says it. “The more chaos, violence, the better it is for Trump’s reelection.” Just think about that. This is a sitting president of the United States of America. He’s supposed to be protecting this country, but instead he’s rooting for chaos and violence. The simple truth is Donald Trump failed to protect America. So now he’s trying to scare America. Since Donald Trump and Mike Pence can’t run on their record that has seen more American deaths to a virus, this virus, than the nation suffered in every war since Korea combined, since they can’t run on their economy that has seen more people lose their jobs than any time since the Great Depression, since they can’t run on a simple proposition of sending our children safely back to school, since they have no agenda or vision for a second term, Trump and Pence are running on this.

I would say I don't know how someone can hear this and still support Trump, but I guess if we lived in that world he wouldn't have become president to begin with.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I watched the CNBC video and it was the same. Are YT comments always  this bad? Just a bunch of trolls and bots? I usually don't pay attention.

Usually I'm accustomed to bad or broken English, but most seem to actually form coherent statements.  So the majority are probably the opinions of real people.  And sadly, it appears Trump's nickname "Sleepy Joe" is taken a strong hold over the weak-minded; there were far too many comments about him being an old man that needs full time care.

News pieces seem to bring out a high level of cognitive dissonance.  Not sure how people can mock Biden's single stumble over a sentence and yet fully accept Trump's ability to communicate without question.