Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

The bugs don't ruin the great experience though. Its absolutely worth buying now. It's minor stuff.

I’d argue constant crashing for some and loss of save data for some, at the very least, adds frustration that shouldn’t exist to where waiting a week or two for some more patches isn’t the worst idea, especially if you haven’t purchased it yet.

Obviously it won’t be on the basic EA Play membership that’s included with game pass for several months, though.

I personally haven’t gotten any major bugs yet, but if I do I’ll switch to another game that I need to finish then come back to this.

• True 2

I had a great time this weekend with SW:JS, despite terrible CTDs and wonkie frame rate. The game is fun and I love the mini Elden Ring-esque exploration hub that is Koboh. That said, the patches can't come soon enough! I would think they would have something out prior to this weekend simply because the clock is ticking on the release of Zelda. 

P.S. I took my family to see the Mario movie, it was not good! You are strongly slapped across the face with the fact that this movie only exists as a long advertisement for Nintendo and nothing else. A waste of time and money! :lol:

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Still waiting anyway.

Ok. If you're cool with waiting which you obviously are, you'll play a really polished game down the road then so no big deal.

Minus a few hiccups, this game fucking rules. I am completely hooked. Visuals and combat are top of the line. Characters are interesting and the pace is wonderful. 

• True 1

47 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I had a great time this weekend with SW:JS, despite terrible CTDs and wonkie frame rate. The game is fun and I love the mini Elden Ring-esque exploration hub that is Koboh. That said, the patches can't come soon enough! I would think they would have something out prior to this weekend simply because the clock is ticking on the release of Zelda. 

P.S. I took my family to see the Mario movie, it was not good! You are strongly slapped across the face with the fact that this movie only exists as a long advertisement for Nintendo and nothing else. A waste of time and money! :lol:

So it’s a kids movie that’s like every single kids movie/show since the 80’s? Their entire purpose is drive merchandise. Lol were you expecting Up or Spirited Away?

53 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

So it’s a kids movie that’s like every single kids movie/show since the 80’s? Their entire purpose is drive merchandise. Lol were you expecting Up or Spirited Away?

I'm not sure what I expected, but it was not good! My son (10) looked at me after the first third of the movie and asked if we could leave. Its bad when the 10 year old is critical of your plot beats. :p

Edit: for the record, going to see this masterpiece was not my idea!  

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Of course it was. Most video game properties being made into movies (or shows) these days are a vehicle to drive people to buy the games.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Of course it was. Most video game properties being made into movies (or shows) these days are a vehicle to drive people to buy the games.

Very true, but they usually manage to squeeze in a bunch of laughs (nope) and a few cute moments for the kids (nope). If you haven't seen it then you might not know what I'm saying here. This movie is not just bad, its kind of empty. 

• Sad 1

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 3

I thought the Mario movie was better than I expected. I actually watched the whole thing on Twitter! My bar may have been quite low if the only reason I watched it is because it was bootlegged on twitter by people giving Elon the ol’ middle finger though. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

The bugs don't ruin the great experience though. Its absolutely worth buying now. It's minor stuff.

loss of save data could and would ruin the experience for many people. 

the many performance issues can definitely hamper the experience. It makes the game feel wonky at times and ruins the immersion both in gameplay and when watching a scenes. If a Tv show or movie had this much frame skips and jutter people would be rightfully upset. 

while for most people and especially gamers “ruin” may be a bit strong, this game is very much far from ideal considering how the game could and should be performing. 

Very true, but they usually manage to squeeze in a bunch of laughs (nope) and a few cute moments for the kids (nope). If you haven't seen it then you might not know what I'm saying here. This movie is not just bad, its kind of empty. 

You're the first person i've heard feel this strongly about it. It certainly wasn't great, but it was fun. It was Mario. 

I don't know how you can say it didn't have cute moments. 

I assume I'm most of the way through the game now. Maybe 60 - 75%. It's quite good! There was one of the little dream challenge things that I had to drop the difficulty to clear, the framerate hit Kodak Carousal speeds and I just couldn't hang. No crashes yet. On all high settings with RT on, I'm getting mid 40 FPS at 4K on my i12900K and a 3080.

So far I think the first game did a better job of driving the plot; the more open nature of this one ends up giving you some, "oh shit we gotta go there now now now! ... lemme see if there's a haircut or some pants in this box first tho," moments. Other than that this does a really good job of building on the character foundation of the first and some of the new NPCs fit in nicely as well. The traversal is a lot of fun once you get some upgrades.

More games should let you build a base and fill it with friends and swag. Who doesn't like walking around places like Pyloon's Saloon or your home base in Ass Creed Brotherhood? This game has a grappling hook and a cool place to crash, just giving the people what they want.

There are some funny meta moments in the game. I like that you can talk to everyone at the bar, then run to the Mantis... and everyone you just talked to got to the Mantis quicker than you did with enough time to sit down and relax. While I appreciate that the game lets you keep almost all your abilities from the first game, I do think it's silly that you have to play a dozen hours or so before (very small ability spoilers)

Spoiler

Cal remembers he can use the Force to lift things up or pull them down, despite having been pushing and pulling objects forward and backwards the whole time :p

I've been lucky to avoid bugs and crashes so far.

My only "disappointment" so far is that the crossguard stance is either bad or I just can't see the utility of it. You attack so much more slowly when using it, but with the rare exception of a couple one on one non-boss fights, the benefits seem to be outweighed by the costs. You do get to do a WWE flying dropkick attack in it though, and that's fun. :p Also while it's really cool to see references to and character from

Spoiler

The High Republic

in this... the only other let down so far is that the villains seem less interesting and personal than the ones from the first game. Maybe that'll change before the end.

Anyway, super fun... shame it launched in such a state.

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You're the first person i've heard feel this strongly about it. It certainly wasn't great, but it was fun. It was Mario. 

I don't know how you can say it didn't have cute moments. 

Whelp, I guess my family had the odd man out reaction to this flick! Opinions, right? :p  For me, the only funny part was the blue Mario Galaxy star in the cage. That character was genuinely funny! 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Whelp, I guess my family had the odd man out reaction to this flick! Opinions, right? :p  For me, the only funny part was the blue Mario Galaxy star in the cage. That character was genuinely funny! 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming it's a good movie in any way, but my nephew and his cousin had a blast, I enjoyed the nostalgia (which of course the children don't have) and constant fan service. I certainly wouldn't nominate it for any awards, but it was a cool experience. 

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I assume I'm most of the way through the game now. Maybe 60 - 75%. It's quite good! There was one of the little dream challenge things that I had to drop the difficulty to clear, the framerate hit Kodak Carousal speeds and I just couldn't hang. No crashes yet. On all high settings with RT on, I'm getting mid 40 FPS at 4K on my i12900K and a 3080.

So far I think the first game did a better job of driving the plot; the more open nature of this one ends up giving you some, "oh shit we gotta go there now now now! ... lemme see if there's a haircut or some pants in this box first tho," moments. Other than that this does a really good job of building on the character foundation of the first and some of the new NPCs fit in nicely as well. The traversal is a lot of fun once you get some upgrades.

More games should let you build a base and fill it with friends and swag. Who doesn't like walking around places like Pyloon's Saloon or your home base in Ass Creed Brotherhood? This game has a grappling hook and a cool place to crash, just giving the people what they want.

There are some funny meta moments in the game. I like that you can talk to everyone at the bar, then run to the Mantis... and everyone you just talked to got to the Mantis quicker than you did with enough time to sit down and relax. While I appreciate that the game lets you keep almost all your abilities from the first game, I do think it's silly that you have to play a dozen hours or so before (very small ability spoilers)

Hide contents

Cal remembers he can use the Force to lift things up or pull them down, despite having been pushing and pulling objects forward and backwards the whole time :p

I've been lucky to avoid bugs and crashes so far.

My only "disappointment" so far is that the crossguard stance is either bad or I just can't see the utility of it. You attack so much more slowly when using it, but with the rare exception of a couple one on one non-boss fights, the benefits seem to be outweighed by the costs. You do get to do a WWE flying dropkick attack in it though, and that's fun. :p Also while it's really cool to see references to and character from

Hide contents

The High Republic

in this... the only other let down so far is that the villains seem less interesting and personal than the ones from the first game. Maybe that'll change before the end.

Anyway, super fun... shame it launched in such a state.

Sounds like you're in about the same spot I am, as I just completed the mission where I got those powers. Game is so damn good that I'm sad I must be getting to the end. I definitely have a lot of exploring to do when I'm done. I haven't even gone back to the first planet yet. 

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sounds like you're in about the same spot I am, as I just completed the mission where I got those powers. Game is so damn good that I'm sad I must be getting to the end. I definitely have a lot of exploring to do when I'm done. I haven't even gone back to the first planet yet. 

Okay, some speculation about a character here. I have not peeked ahead and looked at spoilers, so this is based solely on what has come up in game.

Don't read unless you don't care about spoilers or you're far enough in the game to be able to grapple onto the floating balloons and shit sprinkled around the maps. The last time I did this, I correctly guessed that Arthur was sick in Red Dead 2 after having blood coughed up on him, so maybe I'll go 2 for 2. :p 

Spoiler

Double bagging for your protection. Don't do this with condoms, it doesn't work.

Spoiler

Bode is... bad right? He's going to backstab Cal? He just seems too "perfect" to fit in with the crew and his daughter seems like either a red herring or a justification to be able to find the way to Talanorr and keep it all to himself. I don't think he's working with the Raiders or Dagan or anything, but I dunno? Or maybe he is, Dagan did give an order to someone that was masked up while talking to Rayvis, so maybe that was Bode double dealing?

I dunno I just feel like the game really wants me to trust this guy which makes me sus. :p

Also a 3.3GB patch just became available, woo.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Well it's Best, he restarts games like 5 times anyway.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

17 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Crossguard is great for big, slow monsters. Anything that moves slow but hits really hard. It's great for blocking, and big swings. But its not my goto either. I like Blaster and dual saber.

I think there’s a bug with blaster stance when you customize button layout. I can’t fire the blast shot until I’ve slapped it with my saber first, even with full shots. 

as for Crossguard I like it in certain situations. Group of slow shooting targets it’s upgraded deflection just clears them. I also like it the most for supper battle droids and slow large enemies. 

right now my overall default favorite is dual sabers. The speed can overwhelm some enemies. Though some enemies still have a big ‘ol “fuck you switch” where they decide they’re just gonna constantly hit you or grab you through your flurry of attacks.

the combat is still my least favorite aspects of these games as they designed in a way to make you feel so unbelievably underpowered. Jedi’s have the same problem as Superman in a game. They can’t make it make sense where it doesn’t destroy the fantasy. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Loss of save data for a console game isn't a "bug" - it's an indication of a technically incompetent/borderline broken product.

I remember with The Witcher (1), there was a bug that made so loading areas would take a minimum of 10-15 minutes, they patched it after about a month, but, the patch made so any save from an earlier version of the game was incompatible. I was like 40-50% through the game and my saves were just useless. Not the same as corrupt save files from "bugs", but jfc.

Just now, Biggie said:

What color is your lightsaber? I went with purple but might change it to green. 

Orange. Same color I used in the first game. 

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Patches incoming:

FvC_ZEwWYAEQi_t?format=jpg&name=large

so does this mean they have or have not fixed performance WITH Ray tracing rendering on PC? 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Orange. Same color I used in the first game. 

I went with white because I've not seen or noticed that before 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

so does this mean they have or have not fixed performance WITH Ray tracing rendering on PC? 

I think non-RT effects have improved performance, which would mean overall is better with or without RT (?). They worded it oddly, for sure.