Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

My sister has a habit on getting lost in games or missing things in an area. It varies to a certain degree game by game, but over the shoulder or behind character camera third person games are generally tougher for them. I then struggle watching them play games, because the backseat gamer in me wants to be like “oh there’s a thing” “you missed that” “you’re supposed to go there” “why don’t you use the map”, etc. they don’t restart games much because of getting lost though. 

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I don’t think it’s because you’re “stupid”, I think you probably have a very low attention span, since you’re always restarting games and losing your way. Sounds more like some kind of Attention Deficit Disorder or something. 

No, it's not ADD. I litteraly have issues progressing in games. I had to give up on Metroid Prime because I got lost just recently.

To put it clearly...I'm a complete moron. 

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Information Thread, update: EA promises "weeks" of post-release patches to address performance issues
1 hour ago, best3444 said:

After hours into this I haven't encountered any bugs etc. There was an update today so maybe that fixed some issues. 

I should say console wise it's ok. PC seems like another story. 

Its ok console wise? Didn’t you lose your save twice?

I don’t know, it definitely ran better on my laptop than it would on ps5.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Its ok console wise? Didn’t you lose your save twice?

I don’t know, it definitely ran better on my laptop than it would on ps5.

I lost my save once on launch day. After that it's been smooth sailin. How long did it take you to beat it?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How far are you in right now?

I didn’t even leave the first world yet. I just played a bit to check it out as Dead Island 2 is longer than I thought and I’m really enjoying that so I’m not going to rush it especially when this game only will improve if I’m late.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I didn’t even leave the first world yet. I just played a bit to check it out as Dead Island 2 is longer than I thought and I’m really enjoying that so I’m not going to rush it especially when this game only will improve if I’m late.

Good thinking since you're only on the first section. It obviously gets better and more visually appealing but more patches are coming so when you finally sit down to play this it will be pretty polished. It must look so fuckin good on your rig because it looks spectacular on the measly PS5.

33 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Good thinking since you're only on the first section. It obviously gets better and more visually appealing but more patches are coming so when you finally sit down to play this it will be pretty polished. It must look so fuckin good on your rig because it looks spectacular on the measly PS5.

My son is playing this on a 3070ti rig with a pretty beefy CPU (not sure which) and a ton of RAM. And my PS5 looks better with a consistently better framerate. I’m not sure how they botched this on PC’s so badly. It’s definitely still playable though. But imo, the PC versions have not been properly optimized yet as they should be outperforming consoles across the board. 

9 minutes ago, nublood said:

My son is playing this on a 3070ti rig with a pretty beefy CPU (not sure which) and a ton of RAM. And my PS5 looks better with a consistently better framerate. I’m not sure how they botched this on PC’s so badly. It’s definitely still playable though. But imo, the PC versions have not been properly optimized yet. 

Holy shit.

13 minutes ago, nublood said:

My son is playing this on a 3070ti rig with a pretty beefy CPU (not sure which) and a ton of RAM. And my PS5 looks better with a consistently better framerate. I’m not sure how they botched this on PC’s so badly. It’s definitely still playable though. But imo, the PC versions have not been properly optimized yet. 

They certainly aren’t optimized, but my 3080ti mobile runs this far, far better than a console. Even at its worst, i was getting 40+fps in 4k.

Finished.

It's a really fun game and an interesting one.

No spoilers...

I'd say the story and pacing are a little backloaded. It peaks a bit before it actually ends, but it's still a really strong Star Wars story overall. Most of the characters are really great but the villains for the most part felt a little undercooked. No big complaints or anything for the non spoiler section, but if you like "classic" Star Wars yarns it's difficult to imagine you'd walk away from this one unsatisfied. 

The game world itself is interesting. I feel like between games like this and Spider-Man / Miles Morales, we're seeing games that realize the 3D world approach from the N64 / PSX - Cube / PS2 era just on a grander scale. Koboh specifically feels like a weird mishmash of Diet Dark Souls mixed with Diet Banjo Kazooie or something. There's shit just floating in the air for absolutely no reason other than to lead you to powerups or collectibles. Pyloon's Saloon feels like a JRPG town on steroids. I feel like a lot of last gen stuff with polish, particularly from studios like Naughty Dog, tried to move away from that earlier design philosophy. Here you find haircuts in boxes. It's fun.

One common theme that goes along with stuff like Ragnarok... there's probably a little too much here. I don't feel like this game has any areas that were as over engineered as some of Ragnarok's were, and it's not like the game feels padded... but I think there are more stances and moves than there are variety to justify all of them.

Anyway, it's really good!

Spoiler stuff, including the whole game. Don't click unless you want to know what happens through the whole game.

Spoiler

The siege of Jedha and Bode's betrayal are the obvious highlight of the game. As someone who's seen Rogue One I was curious as to whether or not the Hidden Path was going to "make it" through this game since Jedha gets nuked but not destroyed by the Death Star.

The stuff with Cere was great. I didn't think they'd actually kill Cal, but then you get to control her and I was less sure. Then Darth Vader shows up and you just know Cere isn't going to make it. What a way to go, and what a gut punch after losing Cordova, too. I feel like even though you spend less time with her in this one, you can tell she's really grown and let go of her pain and her past. She's really well acted in this, which isn't a surprise because Debra Wilson is rad... but still!

I think they let stuff cook a bit too long between then and the final confrontation with Bode. And after a fight with and an L to Vader, fighting Bode just didn't have the asme OOMPH as it would have if you got there more quickly. A small beef! But it is a shame since Bode was so well done up until the last fight where his complete heel turn was less interesting than everything that happened before.

Only real miss for me was that Rayvis and Dagan just weren't all that interesting. Once I realized we were getting to see some High Republic shit I was stoked, but they never really got enough time to develop. All the other NPCs felt fleshed out, but these two were a bit limp and less interesting than Trilla. In Fallen Order she had a connection to Cere, in this Bode has a connection with Cal. These two are kinda just there.

Rick the Door Technician... RIP comedy god.

Anyway my main requests ITT were: 

1) Kiss Merrin

2) BD-1 thrives

2/2 no notes. Bring on the third game.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Is that still exclusive to 40xx series cards? 

1 hour ago, nublood said:

My son is playing this on a 3070ti rig with a pretty beefy CPU (not sure which) and a ton of RAM. And my PS5 looks better with a consistently better framerate. I’m not sure how they botched this on PC’s so badly. It’s definitely still playable though. But imo, the PC versions have not been properly optimized yet as they should be outperforming consoles across the board. 

I don’t think that’s right. Maybe if your son is trying to keep the game in 4K. I have the same GPU with probably a comparable CPU running the game at 1440p with everything set to epic, FOV to wider, and Ray tracing on, and vsync on. The more open areas of Koboh are the only places the game is below 60fps, and other than the frame skips that seem to happen on every platform I keep 60fps. 

I may not be getting the performance I could and should be getting, but from everything I’ve heard I’ve got better visuals and a higher frame rate more of the time than consoles.  

maybe check that FSR is disabled in your son’s settings. It’s on by default in the game and looks terrible. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is that still exclusive to 40xx series cards? 

I don’t think that’s right. Maybe if your son is trying to keep the game in 4K. I have the same GPU with a i7-13700kf and 32GB of RAM, running the game at 1440p with everything set to epic, FOV to wider, and Ray tracing on, and vsync on. The more open areas of Koboh are the only places the game is below 60fps, and other than the frame skips that seem to happen on every platform I keep 60fps. 

I may not be getting the performance I could and should be getting, but from everything I’ve heard I’ve got better visuals and a higher frame rate more of the time. 

maybe check that FSR is disabled in your son’s settings. It’s on by default in the game and looks terrible. 

Yea, it’s pretty strange. I was pretty surprised how choppy it was in the open areas on Koboh. He might have his settings jacked up lol. But he’s having too much fun regardless of performance issues so it is what it is. I’m still gonna check everything, once I get a chance, to see if I can get better performance. But he’ll probably have it beat by then. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Finished.

It's a really fun game and an interesting one.

No spoilers...

I'd say the story and pacing are a little backloaded. It peaks a bit before it actually ends, but it's still a really strong Star Wars story overall. Most of the characters are really great but the villains for the most part felt a little undercooked. No big complaints or anything for the non spoiler section, but if you like "classic" Star Wars yarns it's difficult to imagine you'd walk away from this one unsatisfied. 

The game world itself is interesting. I feel like between games like this and Spider-Man / Miles Morales, we're seeing games that realize the 3D world approach from the N64 / PSX - Cube / PS2 era just on a grander scale. Koboh specifically feels like a weird mishmash of Diet Dark Souls mixed with Diet Banjo Kazooie or something. There's shit just floating in the air for absolutely no reason other than to lead you to powerups or collectibles. Pyloon's Saloon feels like a JRPG town on steroids. I feel like a lot of last gen stuff with polish, particularly from studios like Naughty Dog, tried to move away from that earlier design philosophy. Here you find haircuts in boxes. It's fun.

One common theme that goes along with stuff like Ragnarok... there's probably a little too much here. I don't feel like this game has any areas that were as over engineered as some of Ragnarok's were, and it's not like the game feels padded... but I think there are more stances and moves than there are variety to justify all of them.

Anyway, it's really good!

Spoiler stuff, including the whole game. Don't click unless you want to know what happens through the whole game.

Hide contents

The siege of Jedha and Bode's betrayal are the obvious highlight of the game. As someone who's seen Rogue One I was curious as to whether or not the Hidden Path was going to "make it" through this game since Jedha gets nuked but not destroyed by the Death Star.

The stuff with Cere was great. I didn't think they'd actually kill Cal, but then you get to control her and I was less sure. Then Darth Vader shows up and you just know Cere isn't going to make it. What a way to go, and what a gut punch after losing Cordova, too. I feel like even though you spend less time with her in this one, you can tell she's really grown and let go of her pain and her past. She's really well acted in this, which isn't a surprise because Debra Wilson is rad... but still!

I think they let stuff cook a bit too long between then and the final confrontation with Bode. And after a fight with and an L to Vader, fighting Bode just didn't have the asme OOMPH as it would have if you got there more quickly. A small beef! But it is a shame since Bode was so well done up until the last fight where his complete heel turn was less interesting than everything that happened before.

Only real miss for me was that Rayvis and Dagan just weren't all that interesting. Once I realized we were getting to see some High Republic shit I was stoked, but they never really got enough time to develop. All the other NPCs felt fleshed out, but these two were a bit limp and less interesting than Trilla. In Fallen Order she had a connection to Cere, in this Bode has a connection with Cal. These two are kinda just there.

Rick the Door Technician... RIP comedy god.

Anyway my main requests ITT were: 

1) Kiss Merrin

2) BD-1 thrives

2/2 no notes. Bring on the third game.

And

Spoiler

We got to kiss Merrin.

few games characters endear themselves to me thd way she did. 

I also completely agree about dagan and Rayvis.  They felt extraneous and kind of shoehorned. Dagan never came across as a serious villain.

The Vader fight was a blast. It was equal parts exhilarating and heartbreaking. Cordova didn’t bother me nearly as much as Cere, who was FANTASTIC in this game.

And I share your complaint against Bode. The two last two missions took away from the game a bit.

But any of those complaints are minor. The game was incredible, honestly I think it’s better than Ragnarok was. 

I'm just waiting on the next patch, whenever that arrives. Others have indicated they are getting better performance since patched earlier this week, but my FPS are still over the place and I get CTDs frequently on Jeddah. Looks like I'll return to Survivor after Zelda. 

• Sad 1

Played a few more hours last night, after EA's authentication servers came back online for the EAApp.

Returned to Jedha for the second time, and did not have the CTD problems I had previously (with ray tracing turned off).  I think I'm going to really tone-down my exploring in this game until I have unlocked all the "metroidvania" abilities, as I'm spending too much time trying to go places that are blocked off.  Otherwise, still having a blast.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think I'm going to really tone-down my exploring in this game until I have unlocked all the "metroidvania" abilities, as I'm spending too much time trying to go places that are blocked off.  Otherwise, still having a blast

I’m thinking the same thing. The game has told me twice now “hey let’s go back here” and so I do to find blocked off areas I still can’t get through. :wade:

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The game was incredible, honestly I think it’s better than Ragnarok was. 

I will be completely honest, at this point I find it just as good. I'm not far enough to make concrete opinions but so far it's an easy 9 and really fun to play. I honestly don't have any complaints and for me, technically it's been fantastic after the two patches. It's so much better than I thought it was going to be. 

I was hoping for better patches before this weekend, at least to be hearing that the crashing is mostly fixed I’ll probably beat Dead Island 2 on Saturday and I have a three day weekend and was hoping to start this, hope we get one more patch tomorrow or something. If I get crashes I guess I’ll throw another game ahead of it like Plagues Tale Requiem.  

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I was hoping for better patches before this weekend, at least to be hearing that the crashing is mostly fixed I’ll probably beat Dead Island 2 on Saturday and I have a three day weekend and was hoping to start this, hope we get one more patch tomorrow or something. If I get crashes I guess I’ll throw another game ahead of it like Plagues Tale Requiem.  

The only crashes I have had were on Jedha -- once I turned off ray tracing, they stopped.