Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Sees people complaining about it running at 47 FPS

Recommends they go play it at 63% of that FPS

To be fair, variable 40-50 FPS is worse than a locked 30 FPS because of the god awful micro stutter*, even with VRR IMO. But it's always trivial to vsync to 30 if you can do >40, so we're back to this not being a reason to go console instead.

*Locked 40hz on a compatible display is solid though

Yeah that is nice. You still have an upgrade and skill tree, but it’s new stuff. 

So the game still likes to crash upon starting it up. Doesn’t seem to matter how I launch it. Also every time you start the game up it has to “compile certain game files”. Also also, achievements don’t pop, at least on PC until you boot the game back up (this is less annoying than the compiling and game crashing). 

last error I got said something about a texture allocator. But it seems to be a different message every time. I’m now at 4 crashes in a row trying to load back into my game. 

Ok…I think I figured out how to get it to not crash. Before going to Continue I need to go into the options first. Then back out. Then continue. I did this the previous time too and didn’t think anything of that, but now after 4 crashes in a row, doing that it didn’t crash. Maybe it’s just a stupid coincidence, but I guess I’ll just do it from now on and see. 

also, I can confirm that Ray tracing is enabled when you load back into the game. One of the most obvious places to see Ray tracing on vs off if any mirror in the game. With RTX off it just looks like a dark image of cal, but with RTX on it’s an actual reflection. So there we go. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ok…I think I figured out how to get it to not crash. Before going to Continue I need to go into the options first. Then back out. Then continue. I did this the previous time too and didn’t think anything of that, but now after 4 crashes in a row, doing that it didn’t crash. Maybe it’s just a stupid coincidence, but I guess I’ll just do it from now on and see. 

also, I can confirm that Ray tracing is enabled when you load back into the game. One of the most obvious places to see Ray tracing on vs off if any mirror in the game. With RTX off it just looks like a dark image of cal, but with RTX on it’s an actual reflection. So there we go. 

Now I’m wondering if RT is actually on for me too and I’m just making it slower at the start of every boot :P Guess i’ll have to look at it first next time

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Jesus, what a mess of a launch. They should be pilloried the way CDPR were. This stuff is getting out of pocket. Games not running but still getting released should not be a thing.

Edit: but also, damn it’s good.

Went back in, and started over.  The brutal audio stuttering in the cutscenes was gone.  Getting frames ~50 fps, perfectly fine playing it.

Really enjoying playing as Cal Kestis again, feels like riding a bike -- except I've lost all my abilities, and I've got to earn them again.

So far, it is completely and totally playable for me -- no reason to wait on this.

2.5hrs in on PS5 and I havent noticed any issues. Seems to run just fine and the haptics on the controller are awesome. 

its a beautiful game. that first “level” was so dense and around every corner was a sight to just stop and appreciate. 

that said….the game is pretty OK. So far more of the same. If you liked the first one, youll like this one too. 

31 minutes ago, atom631 said:

2.5hrs in on PS5 and I havent noticed any issues. Seems to run just fine and the haptics on the controller are awesome. 

its a beautiful game. that first “level” was so dense and around every corner was a sight to just stop and appreciate. 

that said….the game is pretty OK. So far more of the same. If you liked the first one, youll like this one too. 

performance or graphics mode?

29 minutes ago, Biggie said:

This game looks fanfuckintastic

yeah, but not so good it should have performance this poor or crash this often. 

my previous theory about going into the options menu to prevent it crashing when I select continue does not seem to be correct. I’ve now had two crashes during play, and multiple crashes trying to load the game again. 

• Sad 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah, but not so good it should have performance this poor or crash this often. 

my previous theory about going into the options menu to prevent it crashing when I select continue does not seem to be correct. I’ve now had two crashes during play, and multiple crashes trying to load the game again. 

You’re playing on pc?

ive had no ceashes, about 6-7 hours in (third planet)

Cal definitely needs him some Merrin. If they kill her, I’ll be very upset. She’s one of the best characters in the series. I love the Nightsisters. 

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You’re playing on pc?

ive had no ceashes, about 6-7 hours in (third planet)

I’ve now had 3 crashes while playing the game and at least another 9 or so just trying to get the game the load from the menu. Seems to be pretty common based on comments in the steam page. Count yourself lucky. 

One thing this and FO do great is making the tutorial exciting and fun and not feel like a tutorial. I think it’s more obvious here because they are refreshing you on all the stuff from the first game, but that it still works considering that, is kind of even more impressive. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

33 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ve now had 3 crashes while playing the game and at least another 9 or so just trying to get the game the load from the menu. Seems to be pretty common based on comments in the steam page. Count yourself lucky. 

Yeah, so far the game launches without issue, and and no crashes. Average framerate is still only 51, and I never hit 30 in cutscenes, but never dropped below 25. Cutscenes are far worse than gameplay for me. The varying framerate sucks, but it never unplayable.