Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

I’m on the fourth world (well, really a moon), and I’m completely hooked. They refined the gameplay from the first, which was extremely finicky and often maddening. My only real complaint about FO is that and the map. 

the map here is only slightly better, but it is better. The previous one was awful.

I played like 9 hours yesterday, most of it exploring the second world, which is jam packed with secrets.

This is definitely the best Star Wars Property since the Original Trilogy, imo. 

Spoiler

Also, Merrin is a Waifu. Wish she was with us more. She looks way better in this game. And maybe she’s Bi? She definitely seems to want to get closer to Cal.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I’m on the fourth world (well, really a moon), and I’m completely hooked. They refined the gameplay from the first, which was extremely finicky and often maddening. My only real complaint about FO is that and the map. 

the map here is only slightly better, but it is better. The previous one was awful.

I played like 9 hours yesterday, most of it exploring the second world, which is jam packed with secrets.

This is definitely the best Star Wars Property since the Original Trilogy, imo. 

Reveal hidden contents

Also, Merrin is a Waifu. Wish she was with us more. She looks way better in this game. And maybe she’s Bi? She definitely seems to want to get closer to Cal.

Spoiler

Pretty sure there's a novel that takes place after Fallen Order where Merrin is interested in another woman.

“even the menu is bad”

Also changing settings (particularly turning rt off and back on) tanks performance, so my post mentioning about changing settings causing a slow and steady performance degradation is accurate @stepee :p 

JEDI-PC-SITE.jpg?width=1200&height=600&f
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

All of Fallen Order's tech problems are back - but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor launched yesterday on PC and at this point in time, it's a technical failure on just about every level. This is somewhat hard to believe as all of the issues Fallen Order possessed return for the sequel, despite their staggeringly obvious nature. Shader compilation stutter and traversal stutter are back, while the in-game options offer no recourse in addressing the game's key issues. In terms of polish, performance and accessibility, this is actually far worse than Fallen Order, perhaps taking the cake as the worst triple-A PC port of 2023, despite some remarkably strong competition.

Settings recommendations are therefore impossible, really, although you can disable ray tracing to claw back some performance. Basically, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is not utilising the hardware presented to it at all in a meaningful way. I still can't get my head around the fact that one of the best games of 2019 launched with profound issues on PC that were never fixed - and then we see them again in the 2023 sequel, on top of a host of other issues.

Yes, there are patches on the way, while EA has also offered up a hollow mea culpa that actually seems to be trying to shift the blame to the user's hardware, but none of this addresses the fact that the PC version of a very handsome game has launched in a totally unacceptable state.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

“even the menu is bad”

Also changing settings (particularly turning rt off and back on) tanks performance, so my post mentioning about changing settings causing a slow and steady performance degradation is accurate @stepee :p 

yeah I tried last night and tested to confirm:

1) Turning ray tracing off and on is not needed as it does keep it on during launch (confirmed by going on and off to know what to look for at a save spot)

and

2) Not only does the it make the performance worse changing settings, it stacks! I can go in and turn ray tracing off and on a few times and each time it goes down about 10fps until it reaches about 40fps with 30fps dips. I can do this any time and leave the game cratered like this within 20 seconds or so. I would love to know what is specifically causing this, it’s so strange!

It was good news though because it means I was able to just not touch the settings now after launch and it runs a little better even. I’m pretty happy with performance overall though. Should be a patch by next weekend too when I plan to really dive in after Dead Island 2.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah I tried last night and tested to confirm:

1) Turning ray tracing off and on is not needed as it does keep it on during launch (confirmed by going on and off to know what to look for at a save spot)

and

2) Not only does the it make the performance worse changing settings, it stacks! I can go in and turn ray tracing off and on a few times and each time it goes down about 10fps until it reaches about 40fps with 30fps dips. I can do this any time and leave the game cratered like this within 20 seconds or so. I would love to know what is specifically causing this, it’s so strange!

It was good news though because it means I was able to just not touch the settings now after launch and it runs a little better even. I’m pretty happy with performance overall though. Should be a patch by next weekend too when I plan to really dive in after Dead Island 2.

What’s odd is that it’s definitely not just toggling RT that causes the performance thing, toggling RT gives an immediate drop, though - if you toggle other settings between fidelity levels (low/medium/high/epic) it causes the slow performance degradation that I mentioned where the GPU utilization just keeps dropping and dropping over time

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What’s odd is that it’s definitely not just toggling RT that causes the performance thing, toggling RT gives an immediate drop, though - if you toggle other settings between fidelity levels (low/medium/high/epic) it causes the slow performance degradation that I mentioned where the GPU utilization just keeps dropping and dropping over time

I noticed that also even without adjusting settings I think too. Not the biggest deal to reload except this game doesn’t have auto save so I had to wait to bring it back! 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Just popping in to say that I hate Cameron Monaghan's face. Good voice, good actor, hate the physical arrangement of his face. :peace:

it looks better with a thicker beard on it. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I noticed that also even without adjusting settings I think too. Not the biggest deal to reload except this game doesn’t have auto save so I had to wait to bring it back! 

the problem I have is in these experiments is quitting the game I risk not being able to load my save for a while as my game loves crashing. 

but this does explain why I had much worse performance in the intro area, because first I went into the options and adjusted graphic settings. And then tweaked a bit more within the opening minutes. 

I can’t imagine this went unnoticed in playtesting. I wonder if it was worse before the 3 week delay. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

“even the menu is bad”

there are places where my i7 13700 was doing better than their i9 12900. Then places where it’s not. 

the performance is all over the place and doesn’t make any sense. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

Pretty sure there's a novel that takes place after Fallen Order where Merrin is interested in another woman.

There is, but it’s before Survivor. 
that woman, Frethylin

Spoiler

Died in the novel. 

I very well could be wrong, but her actions seem like she’s interested in cal, especially in one scene 

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

There is, but it’s before Survivor. 
that woman, Frethylin

Reveal hidden contents

Died in the novel. 

I very well could be wrong, but her actions seem like she’s interested in cal, especially in one scene 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, I just meant that it's possible or likely that she's bi.

My experience seems pretty part for the course. The game looks and plays great, both seemingly an excellent upgrade over the first game, but performance is just bad.

My Ryzen 3800x and 4080 were only keeping the game at around 45fps with drops all the way down to the 20s, despite not seemingly pushing either CPU or GPU terribly hard. That's in addition to the shuddering that everyone is getting. Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit before coming back to this, despite the game being overall very good from the start.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My experience seems pretty part for the course. The game looks and plays great, both seemingly an excellent upgrade over the first game, but performance is just bad.

My Ryzen 3800x and 4080 were only keeping the game at around 45fps with drops all the way down to the 20s, despite not seemingly pushing either CPU or GPU terribly hard. That's in addition to the shuddering that everyone is getting. Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit before coming back to this, despite the game being overall very good from the start.

Are you in 4K or 1440?

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

A drop-in 5800X3D will feel like a two CPU generation upgrade for you.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Are you in 4K or 1440?

4K.

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A drop-in 5800X3D will feel like a two CPU generation upgrade for you.

Interesting, I’ll have to consider that. I’ve had so little problems with my CPU that it’s never really crossed my mind. Everything has always been bound by the GPU. Even if this game is currently CPU bound, it seems more like a utilization issue rather than a hardware issue. I wonder if I’d actually notice a difference in other usage.

57 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

4K.

Interesting, I’ll have to consider that. I’ve had so little problems with my CPU that it’s never really crossed my mind. Everything has always been bound by the GPU. Even if this game is currently CPU bound, it seems more like a utilization issue rather than a hardware issue. I wonder if I’d actually notice a difference in other usage.

Considering DLSS or FSR at quality, which renders 4k at 1440p, you’d get about a 18-20% boost with a 5800x3D (considering that 1440p is about 23% gains and there’s a 5% performance loss with 4k DLSS/FSR quality vs actual 1440p)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/20.html

Native 4k is around 17% gain

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/21.html

If you decide to do the upgrade, make sure your motherboard is a compatible chipset and that you’re running the latest BIOS.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

The crashing is what I’m afraid of, I hope they fix that that up early next week. 

the game would feel much more manageable to me if it didn’t crash. Though the frame stuttering does feel distracting. 

48 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

4K.

Maybe drop it to 1440p if it’s not sorted yet when you come back to it. Unless no matter what you do with a 4080 it’s gonna be that bad. I just can’t imagine a world where my setup with a 3070ti could perform better though. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm now on world three and the game is crashing evey 20-30 minutes, yay. 

Jesus.

I have no idea whats up, but I still haven’t had a single crash on my laptop 12 hours in. 

That said, I couldn’t play Titanfall 2 for more than 3 minutes without it crashing, and that game is like 6-7 years old. I will never understand PC’s. One of the great mysteries of the Force.

I’m still on the 4th planet, the shattered moon, and man, this mission is long. Every time it looks like im getting closer, the map expands. The platforming is excellent though, and im really enjoying myself 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Considering DLSS or FSR at quality, which renders 4k at 1440p, you’d get about a 18-20% boost with a 5800x3D (considering that 1440p is about 23% gains and there’s a 5% performance loss with 4k DLSS/FSR quality vs actual 1440p)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/20.html

Native 4k is around 17% gain

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/21.html

If you decide to do the upgrade, make sure your motherboard is a compatible chipset and that you’re running the latest BIOS.

I’m doing fsr in quality on the 4090 even, the TAA isn’t great on native anyway and it’s better than other implementations I’ve seen. 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What is? TAA or FSR?

FSR, it doesn’t look as bad to me as in Calisto Protocol and RE4. The TAA I feel isn’t great on native 4k so that looks worse than usual. Imagining a world where nvidia won this one and we are playing it 4k/120 with dlaa right now :(

Just now, stepee said:

FSR, it doesn’t look as bad to me as in Calisto Protocol and RE4. The TAA I feel isn’t great on native 4k so that looks worse than usual. Imagining a world where nvidia won this one and we are playing it 4k/120 with dlaa right now :(

Watch the DF video, this implementation of FSR is actually baffling bad. I noticed weird ghosting with it as well.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m doing fsr in quality on the 4090 even, the TAA isn’t great on native anyway and it’s better than other implementations I’ve seen. 

IGN had a performance video and kind of shit on FSR with this game. Which I had on by default whennInstarted it no joticed how blurry stuff looked in motion and when Nvidia recommended it off I just let it be off. Image looks better for it to me. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

IGN had a performance video and kind of shit on FSR with this game. Which I had on by default whennInstarted it no joticed how blurry stuff looked in motion and when Nvidia recommended it off I just let it be off. Image looks better for it to me. 

At 4k quality it’s not too bad, lower the resolution or lower setting below quality and its “wtf” though, for sure 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Watch the DF video, this implementation of FSR is actually baffling bad. I noticed weird ghosting with it as well.

I believe it, I just find it better than in those two where it was super blurry to me. My opinion of fsr in general is quite low. Just another reason I’ve been bummed that amd won this one of all games. It wouldn’t have fixed everything with this port, but man would it have been much better.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe it, I just find it better than in those two where it was super blurry to me. My opinion of fsr in general is quite low. Just another reason I’ve been bummed that amd won this one of all games. It wouldn’t have fixed everything with this port, but man would it have been much better.

Just wait until we have FSR Frame Gen being forced on us because AMD paid to block good things from gamers

• Sad 1