Hades (from the creators of Bastion and Transistor) (17 September 2020) OT - Escape from Hell

Commissar SFLUFAN

After taking a few weeks off playing this, I started playing it again on the weekend.

Previously I had been dying at the 3rd level boss or in the 4th level -- I died in my first run in the 2nd level boss.  And played a few more runs before consistently getting to the 4th level.

Decided to change up my strategy, and focus on "getting good" at one weapon (rather than following the 20% darkness bonus).  Picked the Stygian blade -- and on my 3rd time using it I got to Hades with almost no health and instantly died to him, on my 4th I beat him handily, on my 5th I JUST lost to him at heat level 1.

Trying to decide if I will continue playing to get the "true ending".

• 2 months later...

So I’m now playing this and I’ve beat the first boss and then died fairly soon after that. I’m still trying to decide on the weapon I like the most, I’ve been using the spear but it gets panned by a lot of people so I might try the sheiks or the bow tomorrow and see how it goes.

I can already confirm I will not be one of those people that finished the game after a few goes...

57 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

So I’m now playing this and I’ve beat the first boss and then died fairly soon after that. I’m still trying to decide on the weapon I like the most, I’ve been using the spear but it gets panned by a lot of people so I might try the sheiks or the bow tomorrow and see how it goes.

I can already confirm I will not be one of those people that finished the game after a few goes...

Took me 21 tries to clear my first run I believe.

So I’ve had 12 goes so far and made it most of the way through the second area. I read that the bow is recommended and it really, really is. I just need to practice a bit more and work on being more conservative.

I really didn’t think I’d enjoy this game that much, but it has that same feeling of the 16 bit era - where you know a game is really only 2 hours long at most - but to do that 2 hours you ha e to concentrate fully and really limit your mistakes.

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, vaxick said:

The more I about the experiences playing this game, the more tempted I am to try it.  I've just been hesitant as I never could get into their prior games, but this one seems almost unanimously loved.

The gameplay here is more instantaneously appealing than their prior games.  Transistor and Pyre take a longer time to click.  Bastion is a bit more one-note.  Hades is virtual crack by comparison.

If you like videogames, you’ll at least find some enjoyment with Hades.

38 minutes ago, vaxick said:

The more I about the experiences playing this game, the more tempted I am to try it.  I've just been hesitant as I never could get into their prior games, but this one seems almost unanimously loved.

It’s coming to Game Pass so if you have a sub, you can try it out 

5 hours ago, vaxick said:

this feels like a good game where you could sink 4 hours into it or easily drop in for a run or two real quick. 

gameplays is feeling addictive. i’m sitting here thinking about the weapons and the different power ups…. lmao 

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Is it cross progression between the different platforms? I thought I remember reading they were working on it awhile back.

According to the website

Note: These new versions of Hades do not support PC cross-saves like the previously released Nintendo Switch version.

11 hours ago, johnny said:

this feels like a good game where you could sink 4 hours into it or easily drop in for a run or two real quick. 

gameplays is feeling addictive. i’m sitting here thinking about the weapons and the different power ups…. lmao 

That's how I played it. Really fun little game that takes me back to the 8 and 16 bit games of my childhood 

Playing Hades made me really want a bigger AAA game using the same kind of ideas and progression upgrades.  I hadn't really tried many Rogue Likes up til Hades.

Returnal hit that note a little.  Games like Gunfire Reborn, or Roboquest actually feel more like Hades though, but not AAA.   

I read that Prey's DLC, Moon Crash is a Rogue Like, so definitely plan to try that out after I get to play through Prey.

I stopped playing Hades after I had back to back clears, and didn't wanna ruin my streak.  

I think I cleared it 4 or 5 times up to that point, and need to get back to it.  Was hoping for cross saves though with Xbox, but guess I'll just keep it going on PC til that comes.

17 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I played it for the first time today and it's pretty fun. I don't know if it will be able to hold my attention though. I don't particularly like having to run through the same area over and over again (which is why I usually don't play roguelikes). We'll see, I guess.

I think the story elements of Hades help overcome any boredom of having to run the same areas. There's also some side quests with the supporting characters that are worth pursuing to get some awesome trinkets.

5 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I think the story elements of Hades help overcome any boredom of having to run the same areas. There's also some side quests with the supporting characters that are worth pursuing to get some awesome trinkets.

Aren't things randomized between runs? 

On 8/16/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jason said:

Aren't things randomized between runs? 

Yes but each run will advance the story or side quests in some way up until you get to the last encounter. You will hit a wall with the story until you beat the final boss for the first time. After that, the game really opens up and becomes somewhat more predictable.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Perhaps it just means Playstation or Xbox to Steam.

It would make sense for Xbox and the Windows store version to sync up.

Yea, they’re most likely referencing “in general”. With Switch I think there’s an option to upload your save to then continue on a PC version. The GamePass version is play anywhere, though.

Bought on sale on EGS a few months ago, finally started playing it 2 weeks ago.  I thought I loved Dead Cells, now I don't know which I love more.  I guess I'll have to give Hades the nod for the story, but both great games.  I'm surprised I got into this type of game.