Hades (from the creators of Bastion and Transistor) (17 September 2020) OT - Escape from Hell

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Pikachu changed the title to "Hades" (Greek mythology-based roguelike), update - Version 1.0 and Nintendo Switch version available now!

Game Information

Game Title: Hades

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 17, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 17, 2020)

Trailer:

Publisher: Supergiant Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 92 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

Kakuchopurei - 100 / 100

Hades is jam-packed with action, has a cool take on Greek mythology, and features a ton of replayability. I urge you not to sleep on this escapade; it's a helluva good time.

TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

Hades is one of the best roguelites of all-time. It's a phenomenal achievement in story telling, gameplay, and an absolute treat for both your eyes and ears. It's astounding, and it's always been fairly astounding through Early Access, but this final release cements it as one of the greats. If you like roguelites, and even if you don't, you should probably get in on this as soon as you can.

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Hades is a fantastic experience regardless of platform. An addictive, accessible, and charming roguelike adventure.

TechRaptor - 9.5 / 10

Hades perfectly blends high-octane action with roguelike randomization to deliver an exhilirating experience that never lets up.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Only time will tell if Hades joins the pantheon of roguelike greats alongside The Binding of Isaac and Dead Cells, but it makes an incredibly strong impression. Hades succeeds as both a narrative-driven adventure and an addicting roguelike, and that's a pretty tough combination to pull off.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Hades had the unenviable task of bridging a well-established action-roguelike format with impactful character-driven storytelling, and neither element feels like an afterthought. They lift each other to new heights. The finer details – all those little artistic touches that add up over time – really seal the deal.

IGN - 9 / 10

Hades is a one-of-a-kind rogue-lite that does a brilliant job of marrying its fast-paced action with its persistent, progressing story through a vividly reimagined Greek mythological underworld.

Noisy Pixel - 9 / 10

Hades takes away all the annoying parts of the roguelike genre and adds accessible systems without lowering the difficulty that these types of games offer. It is a standout experience within the genre and will test your skills in a balanced and manageable way that makes each run challenging, yet, approachable. There is so much to unlock here and so much to discover that dying for the hundredth time isn’t that bad.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Few other roguelikes build around the genre's cyclical nature, both mechanically and narratively, as successfully as Hades. Combined with a punchy and fresh presentation of Greek myth, this is a genre standout whose appeal goes well beyond its hardcore fans.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

Supergiant has crafted another beautiful game, this time a story-laden roguelite that demands dozens of hours to fully experience.

Eurogamer - Essential

Greek gods bring family charm to this glittering headlong pelt through the underworld

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

Supergiant’s action roguelike was already a game of the year contender when it first came out in early access two years ago. It definitely is one now.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "Hades" (Greek mythology-based roguelike), update - Version 1.0 and Nintendo Switch version available now, reviews from OpenCritic posted
2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I always thought I’d hate the idea of Rogue Lites but holy shit is this game fun and addicting. I almost look forward to dying lol

Same. And as always cause of Supergiant, the game is gorgeous and the music is so good. Also, I pet Cerberus at least once upon each death. I also find Hades hilarious as the most disgruntled beaurocrat with the hardest job in the world - managing the dead and lost souls of mankind, all of them. I mean, it's no surprise Zagreus wants to leave if that's what he's being groomed for (I imagine, Hades, for his part, would like to retire to Olympus himself, rather than do the job forever, so he's pretty invested in needing Zagreus to stay and take over). I especially chuckle every time I improve my bedroom specifically with the renovation guys: "Who requested that!?" :p 

First successful run on run #20. This is probably my game of the year. The speed of the action is awesome, handles great even with dashing all over the screen, and I've barely touched the surface of the boons system with all the combinations (duos, legendaries, etc.). Looks like there's a lot of endgame content as well. The story and lore is also very well done and I love the way it is revealed a bit through each run.

Gah, can't stop playing...

3 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

This is one of those games that actually seems like it'd control better with KB+M than controller. Anyone have experience with both and can confirm or deny?

I'm 100% picking it up but not sure if I'll got PC or Switch.

I’m mostly playing it on Steam with a Switch Pro controller, haven’t tried K+M but I don’t really see how it would be better.

Played this for about 5 hours total throughout early access but really dived into it once 1.0 hit. This game is fantastic! I've cleared it twice thus far (2 different weapons) but can get to the final boss most runs. I love love love how they incorporated the death mechanic into the story. Another amazing effort by Supergiant!

This game is as close to perfect as a game can get.  The art is fantastic, the story and writing is entertaining and engaging, it controls flawlessly and the progression system is amazing.  Every run I feel like I find something new and cool.  The Duo's are so satisfying when you find them.  Putting together a good run and getting a great combo of skills is soooo much damn fun.  This is def up there for my game of the year.

13 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Wooo, 5 in a row and one for each weapon. This game just gets better and better...

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Steam Community: Hades.

What's your total number of Runs attempted?

I have 2 clears so far, with the one I completed yesterday feeling really easy with the Fist.

I am loving the game, but have only played in short bursts.  It also took me about 40 minutes each time I did clear it, I always run around each room a 2nd or 3rd time to make sure I don't miss antyhing.

59 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

What's your total number of Runs attempted?

I have 2 clears so far, with the one I completed yesterday feeling really easy with the Fist.

I am loving the game, but have only played in short bursts.  It also took me about 40 minutes each time I did clear it, I always run around each room a 2nd or 3rd time to make sure I don't miss antyhing.

I've done 28 total runs, I've gotten much more consistent once I figured out how good the dash reflect boon is, haha.

3 hours ago, Amazatron said:

I've done 28 total runs, I've gotten much more consistent once I figured out how good the dash reflect boon is, haha.

Yeah, I've made it to at least the 3rd Boss on just about every run after my 3rd.  I think I have 16 total runs right now.

I have been jumping around to different weapons a lot based o whichever has the bonus.  I initially thought I preferred the Ranged weapons, but definitely prefer Melee now as my 2 clears had a Melee weapon.

59 minutes ago, number305 said:

So here is a new game getting 9's and 10's and being discussed as a game of the year. And somehow it isn't $70.  It is $25.  Or you can get it in a bundle with everything Supergiant has made for $47.

They got a lot of upfront money from Epic though. Still I likely think it wouldn't be $60 if that wasn't the case. :p

3 hours ago, number305 said:

So here is a new game getting 9's and 10's and being discussed as a game of the year. And somehow it isn't $70.  It is $25.  Or you can get it in a bundle with everything Supergiant has made for $47.

I get the point you're making, but this is nothing new. Their first game, Bastion, had a similar reception and was even cheaper. 

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah, I've made it to at least the 3rd Boss on just about every run after my 3rd.  I think I have 16 total runs right now.

I have been jumping around to different weapons a lot based o whichever has the bonus.  I initially thought I preferred the Ranged weapons, but definitely prefer Melee now as my 2 clears had a Melee weapon.

Nice, I’m probably best with the bow, but I also prefer going ham with gauntlets or the sword.