Hades (from the creators of Bastion and Transistor) (17 September 2020) OT - Escape from Hell

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Pikachu changed the title to Hades (from the creators of Bastion and Transistor) (17 September 2020) OT - Escape from Hell

I got this game a couple weeks ago and just beat Hades on my 25th run. I have been really enjoying my time with and can't wait to uncover more of the story and lore elements with each additional run. Going to try to beat Hades on normal mode with each weapon first before using the pact of punishment.

3 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I picked it up during the Halloween sale because I had an EGS coupon as well. Haven't got around to it yet but their games and this type of game is my jam.

I hate games of this type... But I loved Hades. I have escaped several times,but I still play occasionally. Not sure if the game has a final end or not. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't forget there is also an "epilogue" that wraps up the full story long after you hit the credits early on that seems like the end. Unfortunately it's a bit RNG, but it does give you time to wrap up all the side quests. I ultimately spent like 100 hours on this game but I did get that epilogue! Took me forever to get all achievements.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the game during the epic sale for $15 and the game is fantastic.  Somewhat easy if you're use to playing soul type games though.  My first completion was on my 15th run and that was mostly used just figuring things out. 

Once you figure out what things are, what boons do what, etc. everything just clicks.  I'm on my 11th clear now just experimenting and leveling up the rep with NPCs.  

The dialogue and music is great as well.

I feel wrong for completely ignoring a game that has near universal praise, but I've never been into roguelikes. I just hate the idea of randomly generated content. I might try this on Steam so I can get a refund if I don't like it. Is 2 hours enough time to get a feel for the game?

After you complete a run, is there a reason to go back to the game? I enjoy the feeling of completion in a game, so once I beat something I don't usually go back to it for awhile.

13 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Is 2 hours enough time to get a feel for the game?

Possibly. It's enough to see the loop of what you have to do, and all the goals the game has set out for you.

13 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

After you complete a run, is there a reason to go back to the game? I enjoy the feeling of completion in a game, so once I beat something I don't usually go back to it for awhile.

There is a reason to complete many runs and even after you see the ending there are still more reason to play. I mean no one says you have to play this front to back and neglect other games. In fact it's a great game to play a couple of runs of after you play another game or have time to do so.

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

I feel wrong for completely ignoring a game that has near universal praise, but I've never been into roguelikes. I just hate the idea of randomly generated content. I might try this on Steam so I can get a refund if I don't like it. Is 2 hours enough time to get a feel for the game?

You have to beat the game 10 times to get the proper ending. The story is a good reason to keep going back as well as trying new builds and weapons. Building up your relationships with the NPCs will eventually unlock some good stuff to help you in your runs. The game is easier than most other roguelikes. 2 hours should give you a decent enough feel, but you might not complete a run in that time frame.

18 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

I think there are a ton of reasons to keep playing, namely the story. You have to keep going if you want to unearth the rest of the story, and it has a surprising affecting story. If you are at all interested in Greek myth, play the game. Even if you aren't, play the game. 

Had my best run ever earlier today.

Rail w/ the reload damage bonus.   On attack, I had homing, hangover, slow on hit, and slow during hangover bonuses.  Deflect and sprint on dash.  Slowed-down enemy projectiles.  Reduced damage taken from close-up attacks.  HP upgrades to 300HP.  And the Poseidon Cast (invulnerability + sprint damage) with auto-charge for it.

Easiest time I ever beat Hades.  I didn't even lose half of my life bar.  I thought it was my 10th run with where the story was going, I'm a little disappointed it wasn't considering how good it felt. ;)

• 4 weeks later...