Marco Robotio introduces bill allowing parents to use Social Security benefits for paid leave

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/politics/marco-rubio-ivanka-trump-paid-family-leave-bill/index.html

Sen. Marco Rubio plans to introduce a bill today that would allow new parents to finance their paid leave by drawing from their Social Security benefits early.

The Florida Republican's bill -- Economic Security for New Parents Act -- would allow parents to use their future Social Security benefits to use for at least two months leave, which would then delay receiving their retirement benefits by three to six months when they retire.

According to a summary from Rubio's office, the bill will allow the benefits to be transferable between parents and eligible for stay-at-home parents.

I actually like this idea.  Plus it would hopefully make young parents think twice about having more than a few kids, as it would delay their eventual social security checks by a year or more. 

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I exist in a universe where Donald Fucking Trump is the President of the United States of America, and somehow this manages to be the single stupidest idea I've heard in years.

It's not stupid if your only goal is to make Social Security look bad to engineer a justification for getting rid of it.

41 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Man that seems stupid and financially dangerous.

Too bad they can’t  transfer to Canada and get a full year off with pay. Heck we are even allowed to split it 50/50 and have both parents get paid and take 6 months off each. 

Is Canada's system paid for with taxes or via your employer?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

I genuinely want the CBO to score this fiscal monstrosity of an idea.

I'd be interested in seeing the study too, and I support this idea.  In theory I think it's great:  Trade a few months of SS checks to cover lost wages after you have a baby, in exchange for putting off SS at retirement by 6 months.  It's also optional.  You don't have to use it. 

15 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's also optional.  You don't have to use it. 

I feel like it's pretty obvious that the main group of people who would use it are the people who would get the most fucked by it down the line.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I feel like it's pretty obvious that the main group of people who would use it are the people who would get the most fucked by it down the line.

Most will be deceased before they reach retirement age because of their opioid addiction, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

13 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

As @b_m_b_m_b_m said in the Discord server, Social Security IS the correct "mechanism" for paid paternal/maternal leave, but it needs to be PROPERLY FUNDED through TAXES.

Which brings me back to my now standard mantra:

ELIMINATE.

THE.

TAXABLE.

SOCIAL.

SECURITY.

EARNINGS.

CEILING.

ETTSEEC? You need to go back to acronym school, good sir. :talkhand:

13 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Is Canada's system paid for with taxes or via your employer?

Taxes, you go on EI (same if you were off work due to short term disability) but it only pays a portion of your salary but some companies offer a top off for mat leave for x many weeks. Some companies will also offer paid time off for men but it’s usually only a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Taxes, you go on EI (same if you were off work due to short term disability) but it only pays a portion of your salary but some companies offer a top off for mat leave for x many weeks. Some companies will also offer paid time off for men but it’s usually only a few weeks.

I’m currently on light duties and work with someone else in stores. The first guy I worked with had just got back from his 6 months maternity leave. He didn’t make as much if he were working but said it wasn’t financially hurtful for him to do so. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is a horrible plan.

That said, who actually counts SS as part of their retirement anymore? I'm more like "if I get it, it'll be a surprise little bonus."

A whole lot of relatively poor people who can't afford to save for retirement and also live with some sort of dignity.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A whole lot of relatively poor people who can't afford to save for retirement and also live with some sort of dignity.

I'm aware, but it Just shows how shitty our system is. 

There's no gaurentee of a SS for me by the time I retire. What people get nowadays is pathetically small. 

I just don't see how people can rely on that when the time comes. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There's no gaurentee of a SS for me by the time I retire. What people get nowadays is pathetically small. 

They may be able to if Congress finally fucking ETTSSEC!

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It would be in great shape if we lifted the income cap on taxation. Even if no changes are made, it can give out 75% of current benefits for a long long time starting in the 2030s.