Marco Robotio introduces bill allowing parents to use Social Security benefits for paid leave

15 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

As @b_m_b_m_b_m said in the Discord server, Social Security IS the correct "mechanism" for paid paternal/maternal leave, but it needs to be PROPERLY FUNDED through TAXES.

Which brings me back to my now standard mantra:

ELIMINATE.

THE.

TAXABLE.

SOCIAL.

SECURITY.

EARNINGS.

CEILING.

But but but...I enjoy the articifical pay bump I get every year once I hit the federal cap.  :(

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, I do as well, but we must sacrifice for the greater good.

If we are going to remove the cap on social security taxes, why even have a separate SS tax in the first place?  Just roll it, along with Medicare/Medicaid into general income tax and raise the rate. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

If we are going to remove the cap on social security taxes, why even have a separate SS tax in the first place?  Just roll it, along with Medicare/Medicaid into general income tax and raise the rate. 

Because I don't trust the Federal government with not co-mingling the revenue intended for the trust funds with that intended for general appropriations.

If there was a way to ensure that the compartmentalization could be maintained, then I'd be in favor of that.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Because I don't trust the Federal government with not co-mingling the revenue intended for the trust funds with that intended for general appropriations.

If there was a way to ensure that the compartmentalization could be maintained, then I'd be in favor of that.

I think it's also part of the reason these things are popular: you see in your check that x amount is being paid to social security and Medicare, so you know where that's going. Federal withholding is just a bunch of ?????

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Have you considered the merits of a lock box?

• Haha 2

Why is the US social security scheme not going to last? Canada has a similar thing (Canada Pension Plan as well as Old Age Security) and both are quite solvent. In fact CPP just got a decent boost (raised contribution levels). Is it because the US Congress has been unwilling or unable to boost contribution collection for decades, just like all your other taxes?

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Why is the US social security scheme not going to last? Canada has a similar thing (Canada Pension Plan as well as Old Age Security) and both are quite solvent. In fact CPP just got a decent boost (raised contribution levels). Is it because the US Congress has been unwilling or unable to boost contribution collection for decades, just like all your other taxes?

Two reasons:

1. The system is struggling with the influx of baby boomer retirees; and

2. Social Security taxes are only collected on the first $128,000 of income (which is what SFLU is speaking to). 

12 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Two reasons:

1. The system is struggling with the influx of baby boomer retirees; and

2. Social Security taxes are only collected on the first $128,000 of income (which is what SFLU is speaking to). 

Huh. In Canada the CPP contribution limit this year is only $52,400.00. That's only $40,367 USD. The amount collected is 4.95%, so $2,593.80 per year ($216/mo max). Is that higher than the % collected in the US?

The maximum payout for CPP is $1,134.17 per month in 2018 (which is taxable), with the maximum surviving spouse benefit of $680.50 per month. Is that comparable to the US amounts?

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Huh. In Canada the CPP contribution limit this year is only $52,400.00. That's only $40,367 USD. The amount collected is 4.95%, so $2,593.80 per year ($216/mo max). Is that higher than the % collected in the US?

The maximum payout for CPP is $1,134.17 per month in 2018 (which is taxable), with the maximum surviving spouse benefit of $680.50 per month. Is that comparable to the US amounts?

US will pay out more depending on the final 5 years of income pre-retirement (I think) and there are a lot of other factors at play that determine your final SS check amount. 

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The amount collected in the US for Social Security is 12.4% (6.2% from the employee, 6.2% from the employer).

The amount collected in the US for Medicare is 2.9% (1.45% from the employee, 1.45% from the employer).  Note - there is no income ceiling on Medicare taxable wages.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

US will pay out more depending on the final 5 years of income pre-retirement (I think) and there are a lot of other factors at play that determine your final SS check amount. 

Interesting. In Canada you can also take your CPP early by a few years for a reduced monthly payment, and it ends up being more if you live past 70-something. It's an encouragement to retire early. Canada also has Old Age Security which everyone gets starting at 65, but it's not much ($586.66/mo for everyone who makes less than $122,000/yr at retirement).

It looks like in Canada employers also contribute 4.95%, so it's a combined contribution max of around $5,000/yr per employee. So Canada takes less and pays less than in the US, it seems. It looks like SS cap is about double of CPP, per month. Huh. Mind you, I imagine most people don't come close to the cap. I wonder what the averages are for both countries.

From a basic search, the average SS payout is around $1,300/mo. Average in Canada is $641/mo. When combined with the OAS in Canada, it's $1,228.

Does the US have an equivalent to the Old Age Security payment?

9 hours ago, Chris- said:

Better, @GoldenTongue?

A bit...although it isn't quite self-serving enough to ring as true SFLU...

But in all honesty, the cap should go, and (imho) there should be a 7.5% increase split between employer and employee.  

It's genuinely horrifying that a fundamental breakdown in SS could begin concurrently with the "retirement" of the first generation for whom the traditional pension does not exist.