Next gen will have the worst launch ever.

CastletonSnob

The upgraded BC selection would be worth it alone, but there could be issues at launch that'll take months to iron out so I'm ok with waiting months, maybe even years (for the inevitable Pro version).  For now at least.  Might cave in depending on how much longer the quarantine situation needs to be drawn out.

I know this sounds crazy to say months out from launch but it's a bit too early to call this the worse launch when we don't really know what the launch lineup for both systems are. Sure we at least have some hints for PS5 but not the final list. 

I think people sometimes forget how bad some previous launches have been. :s

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I know this sounds crazy to say months out from launch but it's a bit too early to call this the worse launch when we don't really know what the launch lineup for both systems are. Sure we at least have some hints for PS5 but not the final list. 

I think people sometimes forget how bad some previous launches have been. :s

We are about 9 weeks from xbox launch and 10 weeks from ps5.  I would say it's pretty bad news that we have as little info as we do.

16 minutes ago, number305 said:

We are about 9 weeks from xbox launch and 10 weeks from ps5.  I would say it's pretty bad news that we have as little info as we do.

Eh... We tend to get a starting list out of E3 with a final list showing up at Gamescom. Here is an article in regards to this for PS4.

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-launch-games-the-list-grows-1174526

The bigger thing is due to COVID we've been seeing titles that were previously stated for launch now saying they 2021 titles. As well trade shows being pushed back from when they normally happen.

I think it’s more an issue for the PS5 than the Series X. Series X is being treated more like an upgrade, so you can just keep playing what you’ve been playing, download any updates to games that enhance them even further. 

it’s a bigger leap forward, but it feels more like going from Xbox One to Xbox One X, rather than going from Xbox 360 to Xbox One. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its entirely possible! That said, both systems looks pretty great, and the games will come in time. 2020 has been rough on everyone. 

2020 is possibly the worst year for the US as a whole in my life. But somehow aside from how these launches go, I think this might be my favorite year in gaming... ever. And Cyberpunk isn't even out yet.

I was considering making a thread about this.

My issue right now is how little I know about the PS5 when it comes to backwards compatible games. I play Apex Legends and Rocket League pretty often. How will these games run on a PS5? Will every PS4 game run smoother? I'm almost thinking of it like when I get a whole new PC, and everything loads faster and has better framerates. Is that the case for a PS4 game running on a PS5 :confused: I should probably lower my expectations. 

I feel more comfortable buying a Series X at launch than a PS5. Microsoft has been completely transparent in their hardware and what it will have at launch. The dashboard is already being released updated on current XBO consoles so there won't be any surprises there, either. I know my current library will carry over to the XSX.

The only thing Sony has been highlighting has been their controller, and that makes me... hesitant, when it comes to the hardware and compatibility features of the system itself.

I'll likely be getting an XSX at launch and a PS5 sometime next year.

• Guillotine 1

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

My issue right now is how little I know about the PS5 when it comes to backwards compatible games. I play Apex Legends and Rocket League pretty often. How will these games run on a PS5? Will every PS4 game run smoother? I'm almost thinking of it like when I get a whole new PC, and everything loads faster and has better framerates. Is that the case for a PS4 game running on a PS5 :confused: I should probably lower my expectations. 

We KNOW this is the case for the Series X but we don't know about the PS5. My instinct tells me that this probably won't be the case with the PS5 because Sony seems to be treating BC as an after thought while it's a major part of MS' strategy.

Uhhh Sony has stated all PS4 games work. They clarified their messaging that they only ran test on biggest hits but not the whole library when they mention only select titles running. Heck PS4 mode is baked into the hw design.

You guys need to read more.

13 minutes ago, legend said:

2020 is possibly the worst year for the US as a whole in my life. But somehow aside from how these launches go, I think this might be my favorite year in gaming... ever. And Cyberpunk isn't even out yet.

OMG has the program become self aware?!?!? :s

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

Uhhh Sony has stated all PS4 games work. They clarified their messaging that they only ran test on biggest hits but not the whole library when they mention only select titles running. Heck PS4 mode is baked into the hw design.

You guys need to read more.

I know they will work, but will I see any improvements? Best I could find is this article saying the PS5 can play PS4 games in a "boosted" mode. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/how-your-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-will-work-on-ps5-and-series-x/

While Microsoft is on record saying the Series X can add HDR to old Xbox/360 games even up to 120fps.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/28/21272937/microsoft-xbox-series-x-automatic-hdr-support-framerates

Part of my excitement to jump in at the PS5 launch was to have an upgraded PS4 experience. But Sony hasn't made much of a splash about what to expect when it comes to that which is starting to worry me. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The only thing Sony has been highlighting has been their controller, and that makes me... hesitant, when it comes to the hardware and compatibility features of the system itself.

To be fair, we’ve seen footage of PS5 games running on the hardware.  We have yet to see Microsoft respond in turn. 

... I think concern trolling either platform at this point is dumb, partly for it being so early.  And for other factors:

It’s going to take a long time for AAA games to get out of the cross gen funk this go around.  By the time they are, console refreshes will be right around the corner.

I also expect to be disappointed with both platforms’ raytracing capabilities.  But I am optimistic that developers will better learn how to optimize for its selective use.

59 minutes ago, legend said:

Please make a thread.  I’m in such a gaming rut and nothing this year has peaked my interest.  Maybe I’ve missed so much? 

28 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm picky, I want hard details. Something more than "We're expecting backwards compatible titles to run at a higher frequency". We are like 2 and a half months from release and they can't seem to give examples. Show me Bloodborne load times or something. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm not interested in Xbox at all and I see nothing on PS5 that makes me think I need to have it for quite some time. Spider-Man will be good, but it's not something I'm dying to spend hundreds of dollars to play, then not touch the system for months. I have other things I want to spend money on in the coming weeks/months.

Now this is understandable that you wouldn't get much use for it. So it makes perfect sense to wait until you would get more value from it. For me I'll be playing it every day so it's definitely worth it for me to get it at launch.